News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tim Murphy Results

Started by wildman, March 03, 2009, 08:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

We had near perfect weather for the Tim Murphy Shoot comfortable temperatures and sunny skies. The wind was light and variable at maybe 5 mph and blew right to left all afternoon, it was enough to impact hits at 400 and 500 yards.

The 1st Hit Exercise ran a little slower than I planned so we shot the first half of the exercise at the beginning of the shoot and the last half at the end. Unfortunately some had to leave before they completed the course. Koma came up with a good idea that helped speed up the second half. Next time we run it it will go faster. The targets in left lane at 400 were very difficult to see unaided. That problem will be fixed at the Mississippi Sharpshooters Shoot on the 28th of this month.

Hawkeye was the top iron sight shooter with a 1st hit probability of 50%. Jason M., Talon, and Bryan B. had 46 %.
In the scoped class Wildman and Koma shooting prone supported tied with 92%. Boltgun shooting prone unsupported shot a sweet 85%. 

The 100 Yard Snap Exercise was faster paced. The shooters stood on the 100 yard berm and engaged targets at 200 a net distance of 100 yards. Shooters were given 5 seconds to take their shot. That's a good exercise and will be doing it again. 

There was enough time to run counter attacks till we didn't want to do it anymore. If you don't know what that is its a fast, or should be, exercise where the shooters are divided into teams of three or four. Each team in their turn from the firing line engages all targets as they appear. The team then moves down range on line and engages targets from any position as they appear. They shoot four sets for a total of 36 targets. Fastest time wins. Hawkeye's team and Greg P's team tied at 3:27. Good shooting men.

My hope is Field Shoots don't turn into scoped rifles only. In that vain I will only shoot iron sights until the KWSC in December. Perhaps other will follow my lead.

If this type of shooting appeals to you the next shoot is this month March the 28th. 
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

hawkeye

I came away from that shoot hanging my head. I like shooting with as issued rifle with maybe a little tuning (NM front sight).  I think scopes are a over used crutch. I'm mid fifty and have the usual eye problems too. There were lots of great shooters at the field shoot. The 400 yard targets were tough I shot at shadows most of the time because the targets blended in so well, I did get a few second round hits. Thanks wildman!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

hawkeye

too funny! scopes make it easy,iron sights make you work for it and improve your skills. I can't wait for the next one I hope you guys can make it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

wildman

There are a couple of ideas floating around on how to make those 400 yard "F" targets more visible. One is use Ivan targets, the reflection off the left side of the target seems to show well. The other is construct a sandbag "bunker" around the front of the hard to see target. We're going to work on it and will have a solution by the 28th.

Looking over the score sheets it was easy to tell the left lane "F" target at 400 was an almost impossible shot unaided. 

Question? Should an Aimpoint sight be considered the same as a iron sight or is it a scope? I know very little about them.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

Nickle

The Aimpoint gives NO magnification, just a red dot for the aiming point.

Considering the Army refers to them as "Close Combat Optics", that tells me to lump them in woith the iron sights. Not any significant advantage over irons, except for aging eyes that can't focus on a front sight. For distance shooting, irons have a slight advantage over the red dot, even if the shooter knows to adjust the brightness down as low as possible on the red dot.

Yes, I've used them a few times, not originally by choice either.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.