News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The First Riflemen Were a Handful to Command

Started by FiremanBob, March 14, 2021, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiremanBob

An article in this week's Journal of the American Revolution tells the story of how our first Riflemen did not take well to military discipline. Only when it escalated to Gen. Washington was the rock-star behavior of these celebrities brought into line: https://allthingsliberty.com/2021/03/riflemen-run-riot-the-mutiny-at-prospect-hill/
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

ItsanSKS

Of course they chafed.  They were Riflemen.  Men who knew Liberty from within every fiber of their being, and when not tasked with an important matter, were as like as not to be found enjoying a life that they very well knew could be short and brutish.  My kind of men.

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

asminuteman

"Only when it escalated to Gen. Washington was the rock-star behavior of these celebrities brought into line"
However that was ONLY with his Excellency..... or General Morgan
there are several extra curricular accounts that dispel rumors of "falling into line"
Most note worthy, 2 general staff officers under Washington had the unmitigated gall to disparage General Morgan in front of his men, the two were thrashed within inches of their lives, ONLY the fact that his Excellency by happenstance wandered into the "trundling" , did it end.
NO disciplinary action occurred ..... the "backwoods scum" only listened to his Excellency & Morgan .... all others were fodder

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

CarrollMS

The article mentions some Irishmen and foreigners as ring-leaders and the worse of the men.  The large number of Scot-Irish (as well as German) in the western lands, who were forced to occupy western lands, could have led to some contempt for the New England Yankees.
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200