News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rimfire KD at Ramseur

Started by Burnett, February 11, 2021, 08:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnett

Hello Tar Heels!
I came out to Ramseur for the March RBC in 2018 and am in need of burning a week or so of vacation in the next three weeks or so.
I've been looking for an Appleseed somewhere to do so and found that there is going to be a rimfire KD at the Home Range in a couple of weeks.
How do rimfire KDs work, and specifically at Ramseur?
Thanks,
Greg
RAMSEUR 3-18!

Mr.McCain

Hey Greg!

Hopefully someone more able to intelligently answer you question will come along shortly, as I would actually like to know more as well.

Till then, I believe that I can at least convey some of the purpose of the rimfire KD as I understand it.

Many shooters do not truly understand (through little to no fault of their own) the trajectory of their rifles. In fact, I would wager that most do not even really know how to go about collecting that data for themselves. That is a difficult skill to teach on a 25 yard line since we are shooting and zeroing at the same distance all the time.

It is my understanding that a large part of the purpose of a rimfire KD is to be able to teach those skills at distance, not just in theory, but in practice. At 25 yards wind does not have enough impact to really be a major concern, but at 100, and even more so at 200, wind plays havoc on a .22 LR. This allows us to teach shooters how to read the wind and to show them what affect it has on their bullet. Similarly, 200 yards is plenty of distance to show the arc of a .22 LR, so we can show how to collect data concerning the trajectory of the rifle, and how to use that data to be able to engage targets effectively past your point blank range. 

I hope that helps to paint the picture for you, and I also hope that someone with more direct knowledge of the COF for that shoot can chime in and answer your question more directly.
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few.

The Wolfhound

At Ramseur it is kind of a lark.  Elsewhere we often do not have ranges over 100 yards or some places 200 yards.  Rimfire KD can use those ranges to demonstrate the ballistics.  Mr.McCain was pretty well on target with his summation.
Ringing the steel at Ramseur at 300 yards with your .22LR is great fun.  I highly recommend the experience.  For me the hold over was about top of target at 200 and one target height above for 300.  Your mileage may vary...

hawkeye

Don't limit yourself to 300 yards we regularly shoot steel out to 500. Several of the guys that shoot the Field Shoots can dial in their scopes on their .22s and easily get hits. Down side is that it takes a few seconds to hear the ringing target. We may have a .22 only shoot in the future.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student