News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winterseed Liberty Center, OH Jan. 30 & 31

Started by Cadence, February 01, 2021, 02:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadence

A fabulous Winterseed weekend at the Henry County Sportsman's Association in Liberty Center, OH. The weather was perfect for a Winterseed with temps in the 20's for Saturday and an overnight snow storm that brought 3-4 inches of snow that continued all day Sunday along with significant winds. The 7 shooters were a mix of new to Appleseed shooters and current riflemen. All who showed up for this event were attentive and chomping at the bit.

We started Saturday morning with the normal welcome, introductions and moved to the safety briefing. Rifles were brought to the line and the Saturday morning Red Coat was shot.  Results showed we had a great bunch of shooters. We had 6 of 9 shooters good at 100, 4 at 200, 4 at 300, 2 at 400, and 4 joined Daniel Morgan.  We also had 2 cleared Red Coats.

We moved on to the steady hold factors in prone, followed by the six steps and NPOA instructions.  Related drills were shot in between the points of instruction and groups began to shrink. Topper made the IMC presentation on how to adjust sights and then broke for lunch and the First Strike.
After lunch we shot confirming groups and moved on to the steady hold factors in seated and standing which were followed by related drills. The Second Strike was presented by Charley at the afternoon break.

This was followed by a practice AQT and an AQT for record. Results of the first AQT showed this group was up to the challenge with Shadow870 (Andrew) scoring a 219 and Bob Scott scoring an impressive 226, getting their coveted Winterseed patch right out of the chute!  This was followed by the afternoon Red Coat. The Saturday afternoon Red Coat had results which showed improvement over the morning effort.  Of the 7 shooters, we had 6 at 100, 6 at 200, 4 at 300, 2 at 400 and 2 joined Daniel Morgan. We also had 2 people clear the Redcoat for the Saturday PM target.

This was followed by the Third Strike and the Saturday call to Action.

Sunday started clear and sunny, but with the promise of rising temps and humidity during the day. We started the day with a review of the safety rules and the POI's from Saturday. Rifles were brought to the line and the Sunday morning Red Coat was shot.  It was very encouraging.  Usually there is a little drop on Sunday morning but this group knew very well what they were about. We had 5 of 6 at 100, 3 at 200, 4 at 300, 2 at 400, and 4 joined Daniel Morgan. We also had 2 shooters who cleared the Redcoat.

We confirmed zero's from the day before, performed some NPOA drills and then started the AQT grind. We got in 1 AQT's before our lunch break only because of the snow and wind forced us to let the shooters warm up. Blindman presented additional hertitage and Davis Lamson during our lunch break.

We continued the with the AQT grind with Aaron requalifying a score of 214, Shadow870 (Andrew requalifying with a 221). Instructor Topper also requalified with a 224 on his one and only AQT attempt.

As normal we try to have a "fun" event on Sunday to break up the AQT's and this Sunday was no exception. Since Mother Nature provided us with abundant snowfall, we built a Redcoat Regular snowman and allowed the shooters a ‘Mad Minute" to put as many rounds into the Redcoat Regular as they wanted. The unfortunate Regular never stood a chance against our patriot marksmen! I just wish I had brought a 30 cal. rifle to the event.

We were only able to get in 3 AQT's for the day due to the cold but the shooters made these AQT's count with Slow-N-Steady Caroline scoring a 210 and dad Aaron scoring a 226 to earn the Winterseed patch.

Although we did not add any new rifleman, we had several shooters with solid scores and getting on the porch knocking on the door.  Shooter Mark was pounding on the door with a 209, but just could not get the door open.

The day ended with the Sunday afternoon Redcoat.  We had 4 of 4 at 100, 2 at 200, 2 at 300, 2 at 400, no one joined Daniel Morgan and no one cleared the target.

I want to give our youth shooter Rowan special recognition along with dad Andrew for sticking it out through the weekend. Rowan is working on his marksmanship skills to get his Boy Scout marksmanship merit badge. Please come back to another Appleseed this spring or summer and maybe get you Appleseed rifleman patch.

I want to thank the Henry County Sportsman's Association for allowing Appleseed access to their fabulous facility. Also, I hand to thank my instructors Blindman, Charley, Little Buddy, Yankee, Meadow, and Topper. You made my task easier by your effort and professionalism.
Special shout out to Charley who made spaghetti and meatballs for Sunday's lunch for our hungry group.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

Saturday pictures
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

Sunday Pictures
~ Samuel Adams

scottyoh

Sir, I am Scotty oh, (not Bob) who scored a 226 on Saturday. I thank you for a well organized and fun shoot. Sorry I missed Sunday. Pictures looked like great fun. Scott Goodman, Scottyoh, scott-goodman@sbcglobal .net. i was the fat fellow on "2" next to Andrew on Saturday. I am very proud of my Winterseed patch and appreciate the fine instruction you and your team gave me/us. I'll see you at another shoot as i plan to practice/practice/practice to advance my score to 240!😃

Cadence

I don't how I goofed up your name Scott  :-[   My sincere apologies.

We glad to have you and proud you made the goal of getting your Winterseed patch.

We just assumed you wanted to try and beat the weather before the Sunday
~ Samuel Adams

Shadow870

It really was a fantastic shoot. I would like to say thanks to all the instructors who allowed me the opportunity to shoot & earn the winterseed patch. Also thanks to charley and little buddy for their hospitality, by going out of their way to allow me to stay at the club house for the weekend. Here are some pics I took over the weekend, I hope you all enjoy them.

Our fearless leader making sure no one leave with more holes than what the came with.

The weather for Sunday morning. 

Cadence presents Slow & Steady the winterseed patch.

Slow & steady works to create our dreaded foe for the fun shoot.

Yankee posing for the camera.

Topper posing for the camera as well.

Father & son shooting together.

Scottyoh & I being presented the winterseed patch by Cadence.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/jqDn7Njm/unnamed.jpg[/img

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of both tyrants and patriots. - Thomas Jefferson

Slow and Steady

Hi everyone! I have to say...this was one of my favorite Appleseeds to attend. From getting the blue patch I came to attain, to making a snowman, to having you all attempt to pelt me with snowballs, and even rolling down the hill after trying to sled on a shovel. It's the awesome people I get to meet through the program, and the memorable stories told from that day in 1775, that keep me coming back. I look forward to seeing and working with you all once again. Stay safe and keep being the super cool people that you are.

Slow&Steady (Caroline)

P.S I just had to attach the picture of me and Alvin (the snowman).

Slow and Steady

I hope I don't post all of the pictures more than once, i'm having some difficulty getting them to post.

Maximum Ordinate

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.