News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Yancyville, NC

Started by hawkeye, March 01, 2009, 07:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeye

Wow! Wet, cold and Muddy! We had nine folks show up and stay all day. Two young ladies that were not dressed for the weather were soaked and persisted like true rifleman all day. Even with the light to medium rain and wind all day the shot groups got smaller with no complaints about the weather. Talk about being in the bubble, these folks wanted to learn to shoot. The range had been built the week before the Appleseed so there was plenty of mud , your boots weight a ton and brass vanished as soon as it hit the mud. The range officers had hot drinks and hot food for us, thank you Bud and Dana. We had cabins to stay in and real bathrooms with heat! This is a range in the making that will be a great place for future Appleseed events.Would you have stayed?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

steves4570

I was there and had a good time :D The mud was nice and soft. Look forward to the next shoot there and maybe a tighter group to qualify with. Everyone there was great to be around.         steve :~

bulkhead

I really love the mud.  The best place to stand during this shoot was in a mud puddle.  The water washed the mud off your boots. 

bulkhead
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
Saucy Jack

SamD

Looks like you had a decent shoot in Yancyville.
How many Riflemen, new IIT's?

Sam

TaosGlock

Look at all that cool refreshing mud and water. ;D
We usually forge our NM Riflemen in the oven with our dry, hot n' dusty gravel pits. Yup, bake em' at 210 or more! >:D
Looks like a great shoot guys! Way to persist and what a great group of shooters/instructors out there. 
Way to go!  O0
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

eaglescouter

Looks like you could use a truckload of gravel!!
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Fred

Can we take a moment to feel some pity for the poor Appleseeders who, on that same cold, rainy weekend, were shooting under the 18-foot-wide covered RWVA firing line in Ramseur, on dry concrete - and complaining about their suffering?

O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

hawkeye

Hard to make rifleman when every shoot throws water in your peep sight. Folks looked like Alvin york wiping  their sights between shots. The M-14 clone would blow water in the shooters eyes as the bolt worked. Just got the last of the water out of the scope of one of my loaner LTRs. Here's a tip, If you leave the scope on your truck dash for a week or so the water will disappear . Gravel overhead cover, Grass, anything would be better. SamD can you share a little of that sunshine next time? 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

SamD

We get about 355 days of it a year here.
How about we do a swap. a bucket for sun for a bucket of rain.

Sam

CaptG

Any of us here in TX would gladly take some of that extra rain off your hands. Although the cracks in my pasture do make for convenient .22 dud disposal.
G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

bulkhead

Capt
Funny you say that about 22 dud disposal.  We had a pile of 308 and 223 brass just disappear while you stood there and watched. 

SamD
Any water I could send that way probably wouldn't get past West Texas.  My father told me the deer were disappearing because they were leaving for greener country.  Maybe they're falling in the cracks and disappearing too.  Not that the cracks in Texas are bigger than the ones in New Mexico. 

bhead
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
Saucy Jack

POP

A little pitty for Yancyville  ^-^  

I guess every kind of shooting climate has its price.  

At Davilla, it seems it is always dusty with winds 30 G130 at 11 o'clock.

This last RBC Davilla 2-09 the dry dusty winds blew like that all week.  We still turned out at least 6 Riflemen.  Even on the weekend when the winds picked up to 35 G45+ at 11 o'clock we turned out 3 riflemen.  This with dust and debris blowing in sheets (literally) at eye level Prone Position.  These riflemen just got into their bubble and let the lead fly.

Sheets of dust and debris make life on the line very difficult.  If only winds had been calm, temp 60, ...  ^-^

Riflemen ADAPT and OVERCOME and PERSIST.  They do not complain.  Nor rain, nor dust, nor wind, nor cold, nor hot, nor 18-foot-wide covered RWVA firing line in Ramseur on dry concrete will thwart the determined mind of a Rifleman. O0

One of these days it has to rain in Texas.  And, when it does will you hear complaints of mud, water, ...?  Naw!  But, I am sure we will miss the wind and dust.

I sure feel sorry for Fred, though, having to shoot on those hard concrete floors.  :))

See you on the trail
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Old Dog

Quote from: Respiratory POP on March 09, 2009, 09:11:21 PM
One of these days it has to rain in Texas.  And, when it does will you hear complaints of mud, water, ...?  Naw!  But, I am sure we will miss the wind and dust.

See you on the trail
POP

I'll bet they won't complain about the mud and water.  They don't know what it is. ;D
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

SamD

Actually it rained last night just before bedtime.
We have got about 1/2" in teh past 24 hours and it's real nice.
Out last precip came the evening before our 27-28 dec Shoot.
72 days without a drop :-[

I went out and rolled in a mud puddle for fun right after supper ;D

hawkeye

If that puddle was about 35 degrees then you would have felt like you were in Yancyville. We've had a lot of rain this year in N.C. I Can't wait for the next Appleseed with warmer temps. I had enough of the cold a wet in Wildflicken, Germany.

steves4570

I'am with you Hawheye, what a dif a weak made. Are you going to be at the next as shoot in Yancyville? If I can help let me know :~  Oh yeah my m1a was putting water in my face ;D steve