Author Topic: Roster of Morgan's Riflemen  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Mrs. Smith

• Deputy Ladyseed National Coordinator - NM State Coordinator
  • TANSTAAFL!
Roster of Morgan's Riflemen
« on: December 05, 2020, 11:26:09 PM »
UPDATED 12/17/20

Hear ye, Hear ye!! (Ghostring made me say that  :cool2: )

Pursuant to recent orders of the Continental Congress (upon the recommendation of George Washington and the Board of War and Ordinance) four companies of riflemen are to be raised in Virginia and two companies in Maryland. Each company consisting of a Captain, three Lieutenants, four Sergeants, four Corporals, a Drummer or Trumpeter and sixty‐eight privates.

The Provisional Rifle Corps have been formed!!

Upon this day Captain Daniel Morgan of the 11th Virginia Regiment – Morgan’s Rifle Corps – finds himself in search of Riflemen for his Company. Though he is currently away on our new Nation’s business, the Captain bids those who wish to meet with him complete a simple task. A calling card, if you will.

Forthwith have each volunteer form up in a manner well‐regulated by your Shoot Boss – Gathering with them their wits, skill, rifle and ONE. SINGLE. ROUND. Then join me on the green to fire with careful aim at a shingle placed 250 yards afield. Those able to mark the shingle with a hit may be received by Captain Morgan upon his return! HUZZAH!

…Sadly, those unable to make their mark will not have that honor.

What say you! Have I any volunteers?

Welcome, one and all, to the Roster of Morgan's Riflemen!

At full distance events in Texas and New Mexico we have inaugurated the Marking of the Morgan's Shingle.

A 9x14 steel shingle is placed at 250 yards.

Each participant and member of the cadre are invited to step up and attempt to make their mark.

This can be done from any standard Appleseed shooting position.  Bonus for a mark made from a standing position!

The catch is that you can only take a single shot, with a cold bore, at this target at any given time. For our purposes, a cold bore is defined as a rifle that has had sufficient time since last fired to return to ambient temperature. On a warm day, that's ambient in the shade.

Participants in New Mexico, Texas, and Tennessee have successfully joined the ranks of Morgan's Riflemen.  ^:)^  Huzzah!!!

Attached are pics of the Certificates and Patches awarded when a shooter successfully marks the shingle.

Shoot Bosses wishing to participate in this endeavor can obtain the Morgan's Riflemen flag from Humphry's of Philadelphia ( https://humphrysflag.com/morgans-rifles/ )   

the Shingle itself can be sourced in many places, but we got ours from AmazonSmile for $40, shipped, here https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H5XVPP8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Protocol files, including the official script, and certificate files (two different sizes of certificate) are available for download from a Dropbox. Shoot bosses should contact myself or Ghostring directly for access to said location.

The patches are on file at custompatches.net, but I believe Ghostring will have to make arrangements for the design to be available for other people to order.  I THINK we ordered 200, and they came out to about $1 each at that quantity.

Texas is currently in possession of two Shingles and two Flags, which we're bouncing around the state as needed.  Did you know a 9x14 hunk of steel can ship in a USPS flat rate envelope for under $10  :cool2:

New Mexico has one shingle, and is in process of obtaining a flag.

Shoot Bosses who run the Shingle at their events are requested to post the following information to this thread:
          Date and Location of Shoot
          Names of the qualifying shooters, as well as City and State of residence, if available.  Please limit names to first name,
                last initial, or Forum names for Cadre.
          PICTURES!!!!!

Ghostring or myself will then update the Roster to reflect the new additions.

There's a little flexibility in how it's run, but the short answer is, COLD BORE, SINGLE SHOT.  Multiple attempts may be made throughout the course of the weekend, provided it's done at a time that provides for a cold rifle.  Allow any shooting position desired for the first attempt, BUT, if you hit it prone, any subsequent attempt MUST be made from standing. Those who miss the first time may continue to shoot it from prone.

UPDATE:  It has been determined that a scaled target (4.5"x7") may be placed at 125 yards for used at a 200yard Rimfire KD.  It will NOT be allowed at 100yard RFKD events.  There is, at this time, only the one patch design, for 250 yards.  That patch can be awarded for any approved distance. 

This is not an official Project Appleseed event component (yet  :cool2: ) so any expenses (shingle, flag, patches) incurred are the responsibility of the cadre members holding the shoot.  Please reach out to Ghostring for patch information.  In lieu of patches, we're happy to provide you with the Official Morgan's Riflemen printable certificate file.

Any event, even a 25m event, that has the capability of posting and shooting an appropriately sized Shingle at an approved distance may do so.

Thanks for joining us!

Huzzah!

PS: as questions are asked in this thread, I'll add the answers to this post, and delete the original questions, in an attempt to limit clutter in the thread.  Thanks for understanding!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:50:56 PM by Mrs. Smith »
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"I will accept the rules that you feel are necessary for YOUR freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert A. Heinlein

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

"I can kill you with my brain." - River Tam

Rifleman 5/29/16
Distinguished Rifleman 06/19/19 LADYSEED
KD Rifleman 10/20/19  KD Requal 10/04/20

Offline Mrs. Smith

• TANSTAAFL!
Re: Roster of Morgan's Riflemen
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 11:36:22 PM »
The official Roster of Morgan's Riflemen!!!  Huzzah!!  :F  :partytime: :1luvu :snipersmi

November, 2021

Event Location, Huntsville, AL
       Ramblin Wreck                S. Pittsburgh, Tennessee
       upacreek                        Acworth, Georgia
       HardHolder                     Decatur, Alabama

September, 2021

Event Location: Talkeetna, AK
      Robert Y.                         Palmer, Alaska
      Jeff L.                             Fairbanks, Alaska
      Jameson L.                      Fairbanks, Alaska
      ItsanSKS                         Palmer, Alaska

Event Location: Puryear, TN
     Michael                             TN
     OP 78                               TN    :bow:  The FIRST of our Morgan's Riflemen to strike the target from STANDING!
     Rustygun                          TN
     Alan                                 TN
     JPL                                   Possum Trot, KY (I had to! Coolest town name ever!)

December, 2020

Event Location:  South Huntsville, AL
     Michael                             Huntsville, AL
     OldNavyDoc                      Nashville, TN
     CokeGuy                           Ellijay, TN

Event Location:  Gainesville, TX
     Gigi                                  Texas
     Erik G.
     Casey N.
     Robyinbird                        Texas
     Seth W.

Event Location: Temple, TX
     JimTX49                          Texas
     BillJac                             Texas
     Jan                                 Texas
     Adam                              Texas
     Garret                             Texas
     David                              Texas

Event Location: Pelham, TN
     Google                            Alabama
     Morpheus                        Georgia
     Maximum Ordinate           Alabama

October, 2020

Event Location: New Braunfels, TX
     Shawn
     Chris

Event location: Raton, NM
     Ken G.                           Highlands Ranch, CO
     LibertyHammer              Albuquerque, NM
     Mandy W.                      Albuquerque, NM
     Mahamotorworks            Albuquerque, NM
     SubzeroRabbit               Albuquerque, NM
     Shane D.                       Tucson, AZ
     Stephen D.                    Tucson, AZ
     Mrs. Smith                    Chaparral, NM
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:35:13 PM by Mrs. Smith »
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

"I will accept the rules that you feel are necessary for YOUR freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert A. Heinlein

Rifleman 5/29/16

Offline Mrs. Smith

• TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 11:44:52 PM »
Morgan's Riflemen, Raton, NM, October 3/4, 2020!

Scott, LoraLee, Traci, Frank, Ken, Mandy, Stephen, and Shane!

Rifleman 5/29/16

Offline Mrs. Smith

• TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 12:16:21 AM »
This just in! The Roster is pleased to announce the inclusion of Riflemen minted in Tennessee.

Please welcome Google, Morpheus, and Maximum Ordinate.

Huzzah!!!!

Updated Pics!

Morpheus!

Google!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:03:37 PM by Mrs. Smith »

Rifleman 5/29/16

Offline AF5US

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Pistol Instructor

• I don't need an inspirational quote. I need coffee
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 11:38:49 AM »
Let's see if I can't get you the information you're asking for:

On the 6th of December 2020, five of our seven KD participants connected with the shingle.  Image is attached:

Terry A.
Erik G.
Casey N.
Robyin P.
Seth W.

Although we recorded their home states on the certificate, I did not think to record the information.  Let me know if this is considered highly-desired and I can email the participants if necessary.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020

Offline scuzzy

• Senior Instructor-RBC/IBC
  • Charter Pistol Instructor

• Senior Staff: IT
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »
Temple, TX December 5-6, 2020

Name    State     Instructor
-------     --------     -------------
Jim      - Texas - TxJim49
Bill       - Texas - BillJac
Adam  - Texas - Adam
Jan      - Texas via  Czechoslovakia (to escape Communism)
Garret - Texas
David - Texas
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 04:31:03 PM by scuzzy »
I just wanted to be left alone.

Offline Mrs. Smith

• TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 05:47:37 PM »
Extra! Extra!  Read all about it!

Dateline: December 13, Huntsville, Alabama 200yd Rimfire Known Distance event

This reporter has learned that our FIRST Rimfire Morgan's Riflemen were minted this weekend! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Lemme tell ya, folks, that scaled shingle is DANG SMALL at 125yds, and for these folks to make their marks at that distance with .22lr is nothing short of awe-inspiring!

Congratulations, and welcome to Morgan's Riflemen to:

Michael!

OldNavyDoc!

CokeGuy!

Our three intrepid trailblazers, with one VERY proud Shoot Boss  :1luvu :partytime: :beer:

Stay tuned for more breaking news, only on this station! :cool2:

Addendum: Patches were shipped with time to spare (I SWEAR they were!), and they are, unfortunately, in USPS limbo at the moment  !@#)  As soon as they resurface, the recipients will be squared away.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 05:52:29 PM by Mrs. Smith »

Rifleman 5/29/16

Offline Twineagles

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Pistol Instructor

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 11:58:20 AM »
Iowa has a target on the way and will be part of our KD in 2021

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Offline Mrs. Smith

• TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 03:26:41 PM »
Iowa has a target on the way and will be part of our KD in 2021

Mike

Mike!  So glad to hear it!  I know the flag runs a little pricey, but the smaller versions are pretty reasonable, and if you can swing it, are an awesome addition to the process.

I'm working on updating the certificates as we speak, so that you'll have the option of printing one in a more readily frameable format.  This suggestion made good sense to me, so I'm making it happen.  Once the dropbox has been updated with all appropriate files, the link to said box will be sent to you :-)

We're happy that Iowa has decided to participate!

Please reach out to me if you need anything at all,

In Liberty,
Traci
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:54:23 PM by Mrs. Smith »

Rifleman 5/29/16

Offline Ramblin' Wreck

• Master Instructor
  • Pistol Instructor

• The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 08:25:33 AM »
I am proud to announce 5 additions to the ranks of Morgan's Rifle Company. Despite our shingle not being regulation size, it is only 7"x11" for at total of 77 square inches, that didn't seem to matter to these shooters who certainly know what they are about. At the KD in Puryear, TN on September 11-12 we added the following members.
Michael, OP78, Rustygun, and Alan.  OP 78 hit the 7x11 shingle STANDING on Sunday morning with his first shot of the day. Four qualifiers are from the Volunteer State and JPL is from Possum Trot (seriously) Kentucky.

JPL who only coached and drove the train on Saturday asked if he could have a try on Sunday. HUZZAH JPL.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:55:17 AM by Ramblin' Wreck »
“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal 2/22/19 at 600 yards AR15 Service Rifle 50/50 - irons
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
47 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 11/11/21

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

Online Nashville Stage

• Instructor
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 08:21:34 PM »
Huzzah!
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Offline Burnett

• Instructor in Training
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 07:08:39 PM »
I think this idea is great; fun, easy add-on.
My question is, you are using a 9" x 14" plate but Ramblin' Wreck's thread mentions a 7" x 11" plate...
I am of the mind that if Appleseed is going to consider this "a thing", a definitive size should be agreed upon.
Everything I seem to remember about Morgan's Shingle mentions 7" for at least one of the dimensions; I have seen 7" x 10".
Wudya think?

Greg

Offline Mrs. Smith

• TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 12:00:29 AM »
I think this idea is great; fun, easy add-on.
My question is, you are using a 9" x 14" plate but Ramblin' Wreck's thread mentions a 7" x 11" plate...
I am of the mind that if Appleseed is going to consider this "a thing", a definitive size should be agreed upon.
Everything I seem to remember about Morgan's Shingle mentions 7" for at least one of the dimensions; I have seen 7" x 10".
Wudya think?

Greg

Hi Greg!

I'm happy to address your thoughts, sir!

For starters, this is not an "Official" Appleseed thing.  A couple folks got together, designed a patch, paid for said patches out of their own pockets, settled on parameters, and invited anyone who wanted to join them. That's the long and the short of it.  It's just a fun thing we get to do.

The officially unofficial size of the shingle is 9x14 for a couple reasons. 

Have you ever really looked at wooden house shingles?  Particularly ones made before modern manufacturing?  The first thing you'd notice is that no two shingles are the same size. In fact, they were quite irregular. They ranged in width from 4 or 5 to 12 or 14 inches wide, and were usually 18 to 24 inches long.  Why?  They needed LOTS  of overlap when roofing a house for insulation purposes, to prevent leaks, and to make the roof thicker and more durable.  Like a great deal of our early history, a lot of the Morgan's Riflemen lore comes from an oral tradition.  We can't possibly know with absolute certainty what size shingles he preferred, but we CAN look at houses built during the 18th century and see what those shingles are like.  When Morgan went to the sawmill and hauled away a wagonload of shingles for use as targets, he very likely got a bit of a variety, and probably split the REALLY wide ones. 9" wide seemed a reasonable middle ground, and we thought 18"+ long was excessive.  This is as big as we felt the plate should reasonably be.

The second reason was commercial availability.  There's a dude who sells a 9x14 AR500 plate on Amazon for a reasonable price, and ships them in a USPS Priority Mail envelope, because he's clever. It's a flat rate no matter what it weighs, and it fits perfectly.

Now, Wreck used a 7x11 plate.  Why?  I suspect it's because that's what he already HAD.  It's not my place to ask the man to spend money on a plate when he's already got one that's near enough.  Particularly on something that we do for fun, and we eat the cost of because we love it. If he wants to go smaller than the recommended size, that's between him and his students.  We don't, however, feel it's appropriate to go any bigger.  9x14 is PLENTY big enough.

I do hope I answered your questions satisfactorily!  And I'm tickled pink you like the idea.  I look forward to adding your name to the Roster someday soon!

In Liberty,
Traci
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:03:15 AM by Mrs. Smith »

Rifleman 5/29/16

Offline Ramblin' Wreck

• Master Instructor
  • Pistol Instructor

• The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 08:55:55 AM »
Regarding the size of the shingle we used, I ordered it specifically for this challenge. I did some research online and most of the references I found listed the shingle as around 7" wide and of differing heights but the most common was 10".  The closest size to that I could find was 7"x11" AR500 half inch plate. I ordered two. This is one of the references for a shot from 250 yards on that size target. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan's_Riflemen
BTW, we have some really good shots in the program but I'm not holding a shingle between my knees for any of them to shoot standing at 60 yards.  **)
Wreck
“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal 2/22/19 at 600 yards AR15 Service Rifle 50/50 - irons
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
47 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 11/11/21

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

Offline Burnett

• Instructor in Training
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 11:11:01 PM »
For starters, this is not an "Official" Appleseed thing.
Traci-
That's kind of to my point; I think it should be a thing.
And if it were to become a thing, it seems like it should be standardized.

Offline ItsanSKS

• Master Instructor
  • Buy a rifle, then LEARN TO SHOOT IT!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 01:29:55 AM »
Alaska checking in, fresh from the final Known Distance Clinic of 2021, held at Upper Susitna Shooters Association in Talkeetna.

Out of 7 participants, 4 were able to make a cold bore shot on "Morgans Shingle".

The only piece of steel that I had available for this challenge measured 8"Wx16"T, so I marked out a 7"x8" portion in the middle of the steel; in order to 'qualify', the round had to impact within the mark, as verified by spotting scope.

Each shooter was given one opportunity at the beginning of the day- their first shot of the day was at Morgan's Shingle.

The following shooters were inducted into the ranks of Morgan's Rifles:

On Saturday, September 18th,
Robert Y. of Palmer, Alaska

On Sunday, September 19th,
Jeff L., of Fairbanks, Alaska
Jameson L., of Fairbanks, Alaska
ItsanSKS, of Palmer, Alaska

Alas, I did not have patches or certificates to issue to those who earned them. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."