News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pelham TN KD Shoot Dec 5, 2020

Started by Cleveland, December 05, 2020, 10:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleveland

What a wonderful day in Pelham TN for an instructor only KD! The sun was out after Friday's rain. Nine shooters braved mud and standing water to learn more about their equipment and what it takes to qualify at a KD. Classroom instruction centered around making the shot at distance. The first shot of the day was a Morgan's Shingle cold bore steel challenge from 250 yards. (We ate well with 6 cooks and 3 riflemen in our company. ;D)

Everyone enjoyed the field shooting as most of the cadre have been spoiled shooting at the CMP range with electronic targets.

Congrats to Maximum Ordinate for requalifying with a 48 followed by 50. Google requalified with a 48 and Booney Stomper with a 42.

We are looking forward to future events at this range.

Liberty,
Cleveland

The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

CokeGuy

Thanks to all for a great day! I thought the instruction was just right for a one-day KD.
I am eager to get back out there and get back in the groove. Some more intense dry-firing is on my schedule again.
It was tough getting back in the "real field" shooting mode.
I came close with a 38 (after I thought it was a 31, but later realized I had not doubled Stage 4).
What a fun time with Appleseed friends new and old.

Cleveland

Setting up on Friday

Traditional Instructor breakfast at Chez Waffle

Classroom Time

Three new Morgan's Riflemen - Google, Morpheus, and Maximum Ordinate

Having fun at the Range

The Purple Tyrant

Watchful instructor team

Google's <1.5 MOA group at 100y

Sighter group in the sitting position, 200y

Morpheus rocking it out

Booney tucked in and showing us how it's done

Not a bad group for Stage 3, 300y

History - Ramblin' Wreck telling the story of Kentucky Rifleman, Ephraim M.
Brank

The Beast!

First Rifleman of the day - Booney Stomper

Two Distinguished Rifleman requalifying

Maximum Ordinate's 50/50

Palousie receiving her 25 shoot pin

The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Rustygun

Looks like a great event and some first class shooting as well! Congrats to all the Riflemen.

Black Knight

What a great day!!  Congratulations to Rusty, Diana and Doyle.  Keep 'em flying high!
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Ramblin' Wreck

It was a great day on the range. Congrats to Cleveland for a very successful first KD as Shoot Boss after his promotion to DSB.

The weather was perfect although the ground was quite soggy there having been a trash-mover of a rain the night before. That much water doesn't disappear quickly.  I re-learned some lessons about shooting a paper KD that I'd forgotten. Walking back and forth chews up an enormous amount of time. Since the opening of the range at CMP Talladega we've been focusing most of our KD program in the Tennessee Valley there. No walking, electronic targets and flush toilets at each end of the line which come in handy for some of us on the alarm list.  ;)   Future shoots at the Elk River Training Facility, and there will be many, will utilize a 16' trailer to ferry shooters back and forth to the target line to record shots and paste-em' up and save a couple of hours of daylight.

Thanks to everyone who came out and a special HUZZAH to the 3 newest members of Morgan's Rifle Company (see picture below) who made a cold bore shot at 250 yards on an 8"x10" steel shingle. That thing is small.  :P   

Explaining the target as we were gathered up about to shoot:
Me. "You see that big silhouette on the right end of the line?"
Shooter. "Yeah."
Me. "That's not it, it's the little one just to the left."
Shooter: "Wow." 

Sad to report that the old Wreck was a cook this time with my M1A but I'll be back.  O0
Stay positive and stay prepared.

Merry Christmas to everyone and remember the reason for the season.
Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Google

What a fun day.  The weather was perfect (on Saturday, at least), we were on a rifle range, and we were among great friends.

Congratulations, Cleveland, on running a top-notch event for your first KD as SB.  Looking forward to many more at this range!

Google

Morpheus

I agree, Cleveland did an excellent job as SB for this event. I know how nerve-racking it can be with a room full of instructors!

This was a great opportunity for some old eyes to spend a day using my irons on my AR. I did learn (halfway through the event) to check that you have the proper aperture up on that rear sight!  :slap:

A Pelham KD will be on my list for next year for sure!

M
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Tennessee Beast

I definitely couldn't tell that it was Cleveland's first KD as shoot boss.  It went SO smoothly!

Congratulations on all our KD riflemen and Distinguished KD riflemen (including Rusty's 50!).

Congratulations on Palousie for her 25 event pin. 

Thanks for all the instructors that "sat this one out".  We couldn't have done it without you!

A great time was had by all!
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Ramblin' Wreck

Your old eyes (I don't want to hear it  ;D ) and tactical aperture didn't seem to affect your aim when you hit Morgan's shingle at 250 yards.  :bow:
Wreck

Quote from: Morpheus on December 07, 2020, 11:58:57 AMI agree, Cleveland did an excellent job as SB for this event. I know how nerve-racking it can be with a room full of instructors!

This was a great opportunity for some old eyes to spend a day using my irons on my AR. I did learn (halfway through the event) to check that you have the proper aperture up on that rear sight!  :slap:

A Pelham KD will be on my list for next year for sure!

M
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Ramblin' Wreck

Fair warning! Don't be surprised if one of the next events you see on the schedule for Pelham in 2021 is a NSKD. No Sighters Known Distance. Your first shot will be Morgan's Shingle and the next one will be your first shot on stage 1. We should be able to get in 2 or 3 AQT's in the time it took to shoot the first one last Saturday. This would probably be a half day event with no classroom. Just a chance for folks to requal. You could hang around afterward and shoot steel out to 1,000 yards if your smoke pole can reach it.

Who's interested?  :---
Wreck

ArmyVet

Quote from: Ramblin' Wreck on December 07, 2020, 02:08:10 PM
Fair warning! Don't be surprised if one of the next events you see on the schedule for Pelham in 2021 is a NSKD. No Sighters Known Distance. Your first shot will be Morgan's Shingle and the next one will be your first shot on stage 1. We should be able to get in 2 or 3 AQT's in the time it took to shoot the first one last Saturday. This would probably be a half day event with no classroom. Just a chance for folks to requal. You could hang around afterward and shoot steel out to 1,000 yards if your smoke pole can reach it.

Wreck
I am intrigued for the challenge! I'm in!
The difference between a novice and a master: the novice does it until they get it right. The master does it until they can't get it wrong.

Roswell

Wreck

Schedule permitting that sounds interesting. Sorry I missed this one. Looks like a good time was had by all.  O0
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Leadslinger66

Wreck

Definitely interested, schedule permitting. I would have been there Saturday, but I ran the Ellijay shoot so CokeGuy could be there with y'all 😁.
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence