News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piqua, OH Pistol AAR November 14-15, 2020

Started by Shep, November 16, 2020, 06:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shep

Piqua's First Appleseed Pistol Clinic Event

Wow what a shoot! We had Pistioleers coming out our ears!! One can only imagine what the results would have been if Sunday's weather had been reasonable! 

Saturday's opening Red Coat pistol targets saw seventeen shooters on the line; this was a private event so all were Appleseed Instructors or IIT's from Ohio and neighboring states. Shooters were broken into two teams and shot in flights to meet the instructor to shooter ratio. This really didn't take very much more time because the preperation period and course of fire runs much faster with pistols than with rifles.

Layers of instruction were done very similar to rifle instruction, with stance and grip being the foundation; then six steps of firing the shot and natural point of aim began tightening the groups even more.  Several drills were taught preparing the shooters for their Pistol Qualification Tests that began Saturday afternoon. We had four shooters qualify on their first PQT. We shot five PQT's through the afternoon, qualifying four more shooters for a total of eight new Pistoleer™s. One of the new qualifiers was Chad, which met his last requirement to become an Appleseed Pistol Instructor.

Then came Sunday; I fully expected the shoot to go belly up on Sunday. It was miserable! Cold, rainy, and high winds. Heavy rain shut us down for about an hour and a half, I even saw a few snow flakes fall in the afternoon, but the wind was the most impressive; well over forty five MPH gusts were felling multiple trees in the surrounding woods throughout the day. Targets were bending, bouncing and being blown off the backers, but did shooters yield to conditions? NO, there were no sissies on our line! We had another four Pistoleer™s qualify in conditions not fit for any but the most determined (or demented)! If anyone ever doubts the tenacity of the Appleseed instructor's corps, they should have been there to witness the indomitability of those hearty souls, even some who'd already qualified multiple times braved the elements and shot ten PQT's throughout the day.

The first Appleseed Pistol Clinic shoot at Piqua's Fish and Game was agreed by all to be a huge success; twelve new Pistoleer™s earned their patch, and one new Instructor was confirmed. The Pistoleer™s and their qualifying scores are: Naga 236, AKA 220, Chad 221, Cody 210, Chieflane 213, Manik 220, Papa_Smith 212, Shadow 870 210, Saluki 219, Blackbird 225, Griffin 230, and on the last PQT of the day Coyote 217 qualified, oddly enough, with a 217 score. Naga shot several re-qualifying scores, as did Chieflane and Manik.
Only one Red Coat was cleared and that was by Coyote 217, shot just after qualifying (I think he may have gotten the hang of this pistol thing).

Thanks to our crew of Pistol Instructors, Rattlehead, Devilkitty, and Doc Willi. Thanks also to Lil Dragon for helping things run smoothly. 

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

Piqua Photos

Shep

Piqua Photos

Saluki

I have to admit... it was tougher than I thought it would be and I did lose some sleep stressing over it Saturday night!  Blackbird and I were able to score on the first PQT Sunday morning before the wind really kicked in!  Special thanks to Manik for letting me use his Ruger Mark IV.  It's a LOT more accurate than a .22 cal Glock 44.  Thank you all, especially the instructors for a great weekend despite the cold, rain and wind!

Glad so many were able to qualify.  It was, as usual, a great time!

Thanks again, and hope to see you all on the line real soon.
- Veni Vidi Vici -

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

BillP_556

(12) Pistoleer™s in a weekend!!  WOW awesome!!   :partytime:
Respectfully,

BillP_556

BillP_556

(12) Pistoleer™s in a weekend!!  WOW awesome!!   :partytime:
Respectfully,

BillP_556

EZ3

Sounds like yunz needed a "Winterseed" patch for that event!  What should we call it?  Icicleer? 

Nice job, and congrats to all who qualified!  For those who didn't, "A Pistoleer™ perseveres!"   :~
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Tennessee Beast

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

malabar

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

StevenK

Sounds like a great time and great crew of folks. Terrific job!

Black_Bird

I had a very good time at this shoot and got to spend some quality time with me
favorite daughter Michelle( AKA ) :F

Corvette

Sorry I missed all the fun Sunday but for the second week in a row, I had transportation issues.  It seemed on the way to diner Saturday night my fuel pump decided to just take a dump.  After my second AAA tow in two weeks I was back home and with no transport to the fun on Sunday. 

The instructors did a GREAT job both days.  12 of 17 shooters qualified over the two days.  WOW.  I was not one of them, still stuck in the 190s and struggling with the one hand stages and stage five.  Decided that the black sights on black targets on my Ruger are the problem as my good shots are really good but by bad ones are really bad (like out of the scoring rings all together).  But with 65 year old eyes, I need to make some mods to the sights so that I can get consistent sight alignment and I think I will make it the next time.

As to Shep and the Piqua crew and all the shooters, a big huzzah for a fantastic weekend and the cream really did rise to the top.  This was Shep's idea to follow our PC-TTT event last weekend and it was a GREAT one.  We have enough qualified pistol instructors to really pursue the pistol clinic program in Ohio in 2021 thanks to all of you.  Thank you all, it means a lot to Ohio. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!