News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Nov 7-8 2020 Pistol Instructors Boot Camp Marion Ohio (Meeker Sports Club)

Started by StevenK, November 09, 2020, 11:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenK

AAR - Meeker Sports Club November 7-8 2020

Type of event:  PISTOL INSTRUCTOR BOOT CAMP

Shoot Boss and Instructor for the Event:   StevenK dSB and MK1765  (Charter Pistol Instructors)

Additional Charter Instructor: BeeFree (already a Charter Pistol Instructor and Pistoleer™) both attended and helped present insight on different elements of the updated manual.

Additional Pistol Instructors: Tennessee Beast, Shep

Student Attendees: Fidget, Devilkitty, Meadow, Morpheus, Corvette, CarrollMS, T.Wolf, Chad, Stark, DocWilli, ThirdDegree, Ricochet Rabbit (Formerly known as St8space) 

This was the initial Ohio Rollout of the Project Appleseed Pistol Instructors IBC.

All in attendance reviewed and took turns to teach each section of the instructional material in the current format (Manual June, 2020/4.0).  All demonstrated safe handling of firearms. All demonstrated satisfactory call of fire commands. The students had a teachable attitude and spent all time we had together in constructive analysis of the manual and all questions therefrom arising. The group posed many questions and then directed inquiry back to the manual and resolved any questions using language found therein.

All had excellent pistol marksmanship and 50% of students also qualified on the PQT at this event. The following Pistoleer™s are recommended for promotion to Appleseed Pistol Instructor: Morpheus, Ricochet Rabbit (Formerly St8space), Third Degree, DocWilli, Devilkitty, Stark.

The following will be recommended upon qualification on the PQT: Fidget, Meadow, Corvette, CarrollMS, T.Wolf, Chad.

ON a personal level - We were blessed with the most glorious weather for a November weekend to hold this event. The sun shone and the temperatures were unseasonably warm (especially on Sunday) with all in short sleeves and reveling in the last sunburn of the season.  The Ohio cadre opened up their club, their range, and their kitchen to all attendees, with fellowship and friendship beyond compare.  Many attendees bunked at the Club and we all were greeted with hot and cold breakfast in the morning, thanks for Corvette's unwavering leadership, energy and enthusiasm, with MK1765 also grabbing a towel, a spatula or a slice of cheese to lend a hand in the kitchen. The attendees were further satiated by lunch and dinner, with our Blue Hat Kelevez holding down the mess hall front while all studied and learned; she expertly laid out the generous spread of food and goodies and to the appreciation of all. A giant thanks to Shep for all that he secured, contributed and/or prepared so that the attendees were all well fed, going to sleep full and happy. Of course, special thanks to Mrs. Corvette, who sacrificed her time and energy to keep us all wonderfully fed (we hears a rumour that she give up that amazing macaroni salad recipe?)

In closing, our first foray into Ohio proved to be a memorable one, making friends, pistol instructors, and the best of memories.

IAAR to follow.

StevenK dSB and MK1765.
Charter Pistol Instructors
Project Appleseed

UPDATE 11/17/2020 - Chad has qualified as Pistoleer™ and been advanced for Promotion to Pistol Instructor. This is pending.

devilkitty

What a weekend. I'd almost forgotten what a new shooter at a rifle event feels like... (Lots of un-learning to do for the Fanged Terror!)
Good food, good company, and terrific weather. What more could we ask? Thanks to everyone, and I mean everyone, who made this possible.

Special thanks to you and MK1765 both for coming out to do this - it was a pleasure to meet you, and I hope to see you two again soon.

Best,
Charlie
Grovertown, Ind.

Have Blue Hat -- Will Travel
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." -- Thomas Pynchon
"A people who forget who they are will become whatever they are told they are." -- Graywolf

Ricochet Rabbit

It was an amazing weekend. The weather and club were beautiful, the instruction was expert, the shooting was good, and the food tasty. All amongst a fine group of Americans. It doesn't get any better. Thanks to all who helped put this together, but an especially big thanks to StevenK and MK1765 for coming all that way to share their considerable wisdom and experience in the pistol program. Huzzah  :F Alas, I was so wrapped up in learning these new skills, I only got one picture:
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Corvette

To all attendees, it was my pleasure to welcome all of you to my home range, Meeker Sportsman Club, and to work with each and every one of you.  To all our boarders, I hope that we made you feel at home.  Great weather and great shooting. 

Thanks to our leaders, StevenK and MK1765 for pushing us through the extensive program. 

Disappointed that I didn't qualify this weekend but scores steadily improved and I can see the porch from my 190+ high score.  Another change this coming weekend with Shep at Piqua.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Tennessee Beast

I had a great time and learned a lot.  I especially enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones.  Thanks to Meeker and Corvette for being such generous hosts.  Thanks for another amazing class from StevenK and MK1765.  As quickly as things are evolving with Pistol, I encourage everyone to stay abreast of manual revisions.  In my opinion, the best way to do that is to attend one of StevenK and MK1765's Pistol IBC's.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

T. WOLF

I'm grateful for the opportunity to have attended this IBC - it was helpful to work through the practical application of the manual and have a chance to shoot the COF/PQT.  I will echo devilkitty's assessment that it was akin to having the perspective of a new shooter.  Unfortunately I seem to be topping out with a score around 170, which is where I spent a long time stuck as a novice rifle shooter.  I'm going to make a point to practice the dry-fire exercises at home and pass the PQT before the end of the year.  I can't make it down to Piqua next weekend, but if there are other upcoming opportunities for pistol I will try to attend.  I foresee myself spending more time down in Ohio
:slap:

As always, it was a pleasure meeting new Appleseed Instructors. Thanks to StevenK, MK1765, and all of the aforementioned folks who helped to make this such a welcoming event - I really appreciated the hospitality and kinship.

PS - "Safe Space" ;), I see you have a new handle. ;D Love it!! O0
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

Ricochet Rabbit

"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Third Degree

Many thanks to Steven K and MK1765 for their instruction, coaching, encouragement and dedication to helping Apple Seed Instructors take on this new skill set. I totally agree with TWolf. There is a lot of pressure having to absorb course material, then turn around and present new protocols to your peers. As Steven K counsels, we must be patient with the process because we will all find our own pace as we deliver this instruction, straight by the book. Teaching pistol marksmanship shares some similarities with rifle instruction. But the specialized pistol safety process really works. We proved it on our firing line.

Many thanks to Corvette for hosting this event at his home range. Meeker is an outstanding facility. This was my first visit.

The food was terrific! Corvette, please pass my compliments to your better half for the great meals. Shep, the smoked brisket and chicken were first rate.

Finally, I want to thank my fellow Instructors for making this experience very special. It appeared that we all approached this IBC with a willingness to learn. From this we encourage each other and perfect the outcome.

CokeGuy

My congratulations to all...instructors and students. Wish I could have been with you!
Thanks for organizing and conducting a great pistol event...and for giving us a new pistol instructor for Georgia (Morpheus). We intend to make good use of him!
TN Beast, you are everywhere, and such a valuable part of Project Appleseed in so many ways.
Everett Womack, Georgia

Shep

It was a great weekend of learning! I'll echo everyone else with a big THANK YOU to Steven K, MK1765 and Corvette.

Following are a few photos of the event.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

Marion Photos
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

Marion Photos

MK1765

StevenK

We (MK1765 and I) have certainly  adopted the specific phrasing of Tennessee Beast's more direct closing inquiry  of "what are your questions" [vs -"does anyone have any questions?"] and I recommended that we use  "Shep's Rule" on clearing, either as a suggestion or SOP.

Snow Snake

Quote from: StevenK on November 10, 2020, 10:08:08 AM
We (MK1765 and I) have certainly  adopted the specific phrasing of Tennessee Beast's closing inquiry    "what are your questions" [does anyone have any questions?} and i recommended that we use as SOP "Shep's Rule" on clearing.
OK, I'll bite. What is "Shep's Rule"?      ???
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

StevenK

I am running by the administration before release; respectfully, I have no authority to present the details - Follow the manual as written for now.