News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hot Springs, AR AAR, October 24-25,2020 MVSA

Started by sticksnstones, October 27, 2020, 09:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sticksnstones

Where to begin. Such a great weekend. Although it was a sold out event, we had a few no shows.  We decided to divide the line in half and shoot in relays, which allowed a little more wiggle room on the line. Thanks to Jayhawker, Bright1, Motoman and Captain (a border jumper) for helping instruct and keeping everything flowing good.
It was pretty chilly both days but everyone persevered. We had some returning Appleseeders, but most were new to the program. I was amazed that many of them travelled great distances to attend. We had folks from Texas, Colorado, Louisiana, Tennessee and the far reaches of Arkansas. I have not ever met a better group of folks. It was also great to see so many ladies and young folks in attendance. Julia and her dad Gus both showed out a little by shooting Distinguished scores with open sights. They both came by recommendation of a prior attendee. Hopefully they take their passion for this back to Louisiana. I think they will.
The family that came, we're working on their bucket list and now have checked off Hot Springs and an Appleseed event. They were a joy to have and it was great to see their daughters, Lilly and Scarlett progress throughout the weekend. We had several father/son duos that came and did well and were great to have with us for the weekend. We had old friends and new that came in from Texas and all did great and showed great improvement through the weekend.
It was great to see such a wide array people, young and old, male and female with all experience levels.
I'm proud of all of the folks that attended for their tenacity and improvement. I'm extremely proud of Grant and Chip for finally getting their patches after many attempts. Also we had 4, yes I said 4, people that stepped to take Orange hats. One going back to Texas and the others to help grow our fledgling program here in Arkansas
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

A special thanks to my Texas friends aka the Seahag crew for coming to hang out, shoot and enjoy the weekend. They also blessed us each morning with some cannon fire.
Also extremely greatful for Rob aka Captain for offering to join us from Colorado as an instructor. He is top notch and a great example for all instructors to follow.
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

Captain

That was a fantastic Appleseed weekend! What good fortune to have my first Appleseed in Arkansas be at such a welcoming range (Mountain Valley Sportsman's Association) with a great crew and a super-motivated group of shooters. It's such a pleasure to spend time enjoying our uniquely American freedoms with such a liberty-minded group! Thank you!

I did manage to get a few pictures from the weekend. You can click to see them full size and click again to shrink back down.

There was actually a little drama on the way to the range before the first morning as the road to the range was blocked by emergency vehicles responding to a vehicle fire.

Vehicle fire

Mountain Valley Sportsman's Association

Setting up

This was a perfect range for our event with a covered area to talk, a covered picnic/classroom area and good bathrooms and on top of all of this the club supports Appleseed without any charge for the shooters! Did I mention the BBQ and grills? When the President of the range showed up, Shoot Boss SticksnStones presented the club with a Project Appleseed flag as a symbol of gratitude for being such a great supporter of the Appleseed mission!

There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

sticksnstones

Pic
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

More pics
A 210
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

More pics
Proud of you young man
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

More pics
Our top shooters this weekend. Father/daughter
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

More pics
2 new orange hats
Thomas Paine

Captain

After a welcome and a safety briefing and the first strike of the match, we got down to . . . firing the cannon!!?? Yep the crew from Texas brought up one of their cannon to commemorate the start of each day! Pretty cool stuff.

sticksnstones

More pics
Captain is now an honorary member of the Arkansas cadre
Thomas Paine

Captain

Here's a picture of the line

Sunday's shooters

The drive back to Colorado was a little longer than expected with the ice storm in Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle and the same storm had passed as a strong winter storm through New Mexico and Colorado.

Passed probably a hundred vehicles in the ditch!

The slow drive home provided ample opportunity to reflect back on the weekend. As always, one of the great attributes of an Appleseed is the people you meet. Huzzah!

Also, a congratulations to the new Rifleman and a welcome to FOUR NEW IITs. Well done and I look forward to seeing you all on the line again soon!

sticksnstones

More pics
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

bright1

It was indeed a fantastic weekend!  I'll add my thanks to Captain for making the long trek down.  I very much enjoyed working with you!  We had a great group of students and I too was impressed with the perseverance they showed throughout the weekend.  I hope to see many of them back to future events here - and perhaps those from other states will find a home in the program in their locale.  Congrats to all who earned Rifleman patches and also those who committed to the program by taking an orange hat! 

9mm4545

Looks like a fantastic event and I can't tell you how much Rambo Granny and I missed being there. RG continues to slowly improve and we are going to attempt working an Appleseed in Bunnell this weekend, her first since her accident back in July. Again, congratulations on such a great shoot!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

RocketRanger

I'm the big fat blob that shows up in those pictures. I shot some OK groups. I hope to improve my shooting (and my weight).

M1bzrk

LykaiosChicka

It was a fun weekend! Super excited to see everyone again and be apart of this group.

Captain

Hey LykaiosChicka and RocketRanger!! Welcome to the forum and thanks for leaving a comment. It's awesome that you had a good time at the event and I hope we'll see you again soon. I know the Arkansas crew is already thinking about future events to spread the word of liberty! If you get a chance, go to your state forum and set it to "notify" and you'll get an email for any posts there.

sticksnstones

Yes it was a great weekend. We actually started working on the schedule today. 2-3 new shoots will be posted in the next few days. RocketRanger it was a pleasure having you and we hope to see you again. LykaiosChicka I am so tickled that you accepted an orange hat and you will truly be an asset to our cadre. Now to get the Mr to do the same. LOL
I have been real busy this week but plan to call the range that you gave me info tomorrow and see what we could get set up there. It would be a great centrally locates range.
We need to find a location to host an IBC (Instructor Boot Camp). Since there is little to no shooting involved, it doesn't necessarily need to be a range. A large indoor location would be great. Would be especially nice if there were bunkhouses, camping or nearby reasonable lodging.
Thomas Paine