News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Columbia, Maine Appleseed, Oct. 17-18......

Started by Boreas, October 21, 2020, 10:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boreas

After an hiatus of several years, we held a shoot at Pleasant River Fish & Game in Columbia, ME. On staff were Shoot Boss "The Old Guide", Red Hat "TominCT", and myself. We had thirteen shooters the first day.
  The weather forecast for Saturday was pretty dismal, and for once the weather guessers were right. No sooner had shooters taken the line for the first Red Coat of the weekend than it began to rain. After a couple of soggy squares targets and increasingly intense rainfall, the decision was made to move the group inside the club house and do all three strikes the first day. As is customary, we needed a shooter to stay with the rifles on the line, which I volunteered to do. No hardship on my part, I prefer to be outdoors regardless of the weather.
   As I sat and watched the torrential rain, I noted an increasing flow of water heading down the slight incline toward the range, and crossing the shooting line. I decided to investigate and upon lifting the tarp over them, I found two very nice rifles half submerged in water. After getting things sorted out with the rifles better secured, the guys continued with the three strikes. After lunch, the rain abated and it was back to the line, and we got down to the business of instruction. By day's end, we were seeing some really nice groups. Meanwhile, the weather had more tricks in mind, as the wind made a 180 degree shift to north and temps began to drop. One shooter tapped out late in the afternoon due to being soaked and cold, and another was clearly in the early stages of hypothermia by the end of the day. We shot our afternoon Red Coat as the sun began breaking through the clouds.
   Sunday morning dawned clear and frosty, with all but one shooter returning. We started shooting AQTs and things went pretty much as they normally do, with shooters finding that sweet spot between accuracy and time, and building on their foundations in general. It turned into a warm sunny day, way more agreeable than the day prior, and by the end of the day we had four new Riflemen, including one guy who was a new shooter!
   A great effort by shooters and staff alike. Very much hoping to see an uptick in shoots in the future. Thanks TominCT and The Old Guide for travelling here and running the shoot! Pics to follow....

Boreas

Pics....

Boreas

More....

Boreas

More....

Boreas

More....

TOMINCT

This was a great group to work with, all taking to the instruction at the drinking from a firehose pace. The weather did slow things down Saturday with our getting through positions and the final redcoat for the day.

The weather. It started  damp and foggy when after the first square being engaged the heavens opened dumping more than an acceptable amount onto the range. We took cover nearby but it continued to worsen so the majority were all for going inside. Strikes 1 & 2 were told before lunch. Upon returning outside the wind started it's thing, blowing about 20 mph and gusting to 40! That and the temp dropped about 20 degrees over 2 hours made it uncomfortable at best and started to get worse for a few folks.

By Sunday the sun warmed things to a point where wearing a t shirt was comfortable for myself and it must have been for the shooters as we started getting our run on Rifleman early afternoon.

Amongst the first was Ben, a new shooter who claimed it with 212 score. Cyrus followed up firing a CF rifle with a 220. Alan came up next, running  a bolt 22, with a score of 215 on his last AQT for the day. The final patch given was to Ben's friend Ben with a 215 score. All others showed improvement along the way.

Equipment varied greatly from some 10-22's, a few rimfire boltguns including a Springfield m1922 w a Fecker scope and a  couple AR platform rifles.

It was good to be back to PRFGCA as there hadn't been an event there for some time. It's was good to work with and catchup with The Old Guide and Boreas at the same time and place.

The club did a great job of having the facilities ready and open for us, we'd like to thank them for hosting the event. They have been a solid supporter of Appleseed for a long time. Thanks to the club membership for making it happen.

As always, a Rifleman persists.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13