News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Marion KD Oct 17&18, 2020

Started by Corvette, October 19, 2020, 12:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

We had a great KD event this weekend at Meeker Sportsman Center near Marion, Ohio.  eight motivated shooters showed up ready to work on their Marksmanship skills at full distance. The weather on Saturday was beautiful.  Sun, mild temps, and no wind to speak of made for perfect conditions.

The shooters all arrived on time which was great and we set up the range for the event.  After the normal welcome and safety briefing, we moved on to a review of KD fundamentals, review of IMC, review of come-ups  and the two  approaches shooters can choose for the weekend.  (Adjusting elevation for each stage vs. establishing hold overs for each stage with a single sight setting).

Rifles were brought to the line and we moved on to shooting sighter groups.  Zeros were confirmed or established at first 100 then at 200, 300 and 400 yds.  Multiple groups were shot to allow shooters to get good feedback on their rifles and ammo.

We broke for lunch and then presented an in depth presentation on Paul Revere's life and accomplishments.  This was combined with some flag history and a detailed presentation on the Fort Moultre Liberty flag.

We returned to the range and started the AQT grind. 

Boy did we have a great group of Riflemen and Riflewomen.  Qualifying scores started pouring in right from the start.  Joe, Rattlehead and Todd all requalified and ChiefLane shot a 39, just one hit short.  After four AQTs, we called it a day and policed up all the brass and closed down for the day.

Sunday dawned overcast  but dry.  We reset the target line and got ready for the day.  We shot a sighter group at 100 yds to reconfirm zeros and to let the shooters warm up.  We then moved to our first AQT. 

On Sunday, we completed five AQT's and we had more folks shoot the score.  A heritage presentation on Daniel Morgan was presented at lunch as we ducked out of the mid-day shower that kicked up.  We went back to the line for our last couple of AQT's before we called it a weekend.   

Overall, this was the best group of shooters I have had at a KD.  We had nine shooters total (One of the original eight shooters developed a bad headache Saturday evening and did not make Sunday. One of our Orange Hats took his place on Sunday with a borrowed rifle).

Well of the nine total shooters, we had seven shoot the score and one of the two who did not, finished with a 39, only one hit away.  The other who did not quite make it was my hero of the weekend.  Working with an M1 Garand and open sights, he posted great scores all weekend but just not quite high enough to qualify. 

Joe was the star of the weekend.  He shot 6 qualifying scores out of the 9 AQTs we shoot over the two days.  His best was 48 of 50 which earned him his Distinguished Patch (Joe, your patch is in the mail). 

Qualifying scores were as follows:
Joe (R) 46, 45, 40, 47, 47, 48
Rattlehead (R) 40, 44, 40 (Sat only, he retired with a headache on Sun)
Todd (R) 40
ChiefLane (R) 47
Black_Bird (R) 42
Meadow (New) 41, 44
Michelle (New) 41
Honorable Mention: Nicki 39 (at her first KD, pretty dang good if you ask me)

Congrats to our two new KD qualified shooters.  Well done.

Our thanks to Meeker Sportsman Center for hosting our event and my thanks to Cadence, Doc Willi, and Chevy Shooter  for helping work the line at this event.  We look forward to our next KD at Meeker next year.   Meeker is a special range for Appleseed and we thank you for your support. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

CountZero

It was a pleasure to attend! I learn new things every time I'm lucky enough to go. It sure was great to see that M1 Garand go, some of the groups he was getting at 400 with iron sights.. wow..

Cadence

Congrats to all those who were able to get their KD rocker!

Not the easiest patch to obtain although Joe made it look pretty easy. (Joe - what is the price on that rifle now?  >:D)

Nikkie - come back for another crack at the KD event. You definitely have the skills to make it!

It was a pleasure seeing and working with everyone again.

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

CountZero

Was short on time earlier today, wanted to also give thanks to all of the great instructors who came and helped run such a great event and made sure all of us were safe. I certainly made my fumbles through the two days and that feedback is the best kind of information to get. Not to mention the great history lessons by Corvette! I pass that info on in the mentoring program I'm involved in. Blows their minds, history is one subject that's sorely missing in public schools now. 

Thank you for the patch it was a pleasant surprise to read! I'm very surprised! Not shooting a scored event doing hits count it was certainly not expected so thank you very much! I was lucky to just have a few great days out there where my head was clear and it was easy to find my focus in every round I sent down range.

Cadence, I'm feeling generous, you can get it for $3,895 and I found the original manual and plastic bag it came in! I'll even sign the manual for you!

Corvette

Here are some pics from this past weekend's KD at Marion. 

Corvette

:pics:
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Cadence

Here are my pctures from this past weekend

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

Quote from: CountZero on October 19, 2020, 09:51:36 PM
Cadence, I'm feeling generous, you can get it for $3,895 and I found the original manual and plastic bag it came in! I'll even sign the manual for you!

LOL How generous of you!  ;D I think I'll pass for now.
~ Samuel Adams