News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calling All CA Appleseeders for April 19th Promotions

Started by bob 210, February 26, 2009, 12:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

We have been trying to come up with solid ideas for promoting upcoming Appleseeds, but especially April 19th Appleseed. Here is a list of things we should already be doing:

Fliers at gun shops, sporting goods stores, and the range of the event.

Send press release to the local paper for them to at least put in their calendar section.

Get a table and promote shoot at a local gun show about 2 weeks before the event.

If anyone has any other ideas, post them here.

From feedback we are getting from the shoots, it seems that our greatest promotion successes are promotion by word of mouth. But I would say there is more to it than that. We all know what a great job JohnnyAppleseed does promoting Appleseeds at the Angeles Shooting Range. In fact, quite a few of you came to Appleseed through him at that range. I have noticed the same thing doing promotions at gun shops. I can get permission to place fliers at a shop. I can even set up a really nice display, with posters, fliers and business cards.  But if I spend an hour in the gun shop talking to customers, it makes all the difference in actually getting people to go to the Appleseed. I would like for you to consider doing a combination of both. From what I have seen at the ranges that actively have range folks promoting Appleseed, it makes a big difference in turn out numbers; Sacramento, Fresno, etc. What I would like to try is going to the range that is hosting an event a couple of weeks before the event date. Take a bunch of fliers, targets, etc with you and spend some time there promoting the event. I think the same ideas apply. I could place a stack of fliers at a range 2' high, but if nobody is there promoting Appleseed, chances are that nobody will even take a flier. If a couple of Appleseeders are at the range shooting in the prone postiton and promoting, handing out fliers and free targets this will definitely make a big difference in number of attendees. This will also give you a chance to talk with the host range and iron out any last minute issues before the
shoot. I think this will really help at ranges that we haven't had an event at yet and we have quite a few of those on April 19th. I am looking for feedback and any other ideas for promoting upcoming events and in particular April 19th events. I am also looking for volunteers to step up and try this idea out at the host ranges. Post ideas and commitments here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

jacques

I have seen up at the range here that the ROTC from UCSB uses it. They also have groups of UCSB students come up some times. I think the range aranges some sort of meets for them. It got me thinking though, that at universities and colleges, there are usually ROTC units. I am not sure where they got the big group of college kids that went up there, but I can try to find out. There is a pool of people in the colleges. I think some, surely own firearms. Maybe shooting clubs? Don't know if it would be a good idea to go on campus and distribute fliers, given the liberal tendency and possible confrontations though.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

V

We should get people in Piru area to write letters, email to editor etc, in response to the Ventura County Star Article. I can't cos I'm in the article but others should write thanking the star for positive coverage of a shooting event in our local area and encouraging people to attend future events, giving the dates and the website etc. Say you were encouraged to attend the next shoot because of the article etc.

If we get something going with follow up other publications may be encouraged to join in with coverage.

bob 210

Jacques, could you take the lead on that and see if we can get these groups to make an announcement at their group meetings about our program in an effort to fill up the line at the Santa Barbara April 19th Appleseed? I will bring you some fliers this weekend.

V, I think that's a great idea! Who lives in the Ventura area that can send a thank you to the Ventura County Star and ask for more articles about this subject? (Citizen Sentry.....)

Speaking of newspapers, I've sent Press Releases to the Ventura County Star, Santa Clarita Signal, and the Santa Barbara Independent so far. I need each Shoot Boss to find out what paper runs in the area of their respective Appleseed and get me that contact information, so that I can send out PR's for the upcoming events.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

James E

Regarding  ROTC programs, I know there is one at the Claremont Colleges.  I had two kids at Claremont, but both are graduated now.  It would be an avenue of promotion for the Corona shoot.

bob 210

James, could you try and get a contact from your kids for the person in charge of the ROTC program there?

James E

SavageShootr

That is an excellent idea to go out to the range that is hosting an event (particularly if the numbers are down) to beef up attendance. Johnnyappleseed does a superb job up at Angeles Range in getting the word out for Piru and Corona. Always asking which range is closest to the shooter.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

jacques

OK I have sent E-mails to the UCSB general E-mail address:

And the LTC Stokes. mstokes@milsci.ucsb.edu

If they do not respond I will follow up with a phone call.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

LayloPro

Hmmmm, this is cool.....
James, thank you for the heads up on Lt. Col Kirkland @ Claremont-McKenna.....
Bob, this one is about 4 miles down the road from my house....have you already emailed or called him? If needed, I can put a face on it for him, & bring some range stuff for them to see......just shoot me a package......

I can also see where this would either work for Corona, or Lytle Creek on 4/19, as well as other shoots.....

Let me know what you would like me to do on this.......

TTYS
LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

bob 210

James E

Bob / Laylopro:

I'm happy to send the initial email if that is how you would like to make contact.  I might have better luck given that I am a two alum parent.  Let me know.  I PM'd Bob yesterday to see if he had an email "elevator pitch" that would do for this contact.

James E

bob 210

Yes James please do that and don't forget to tell them that folks under 21 years of age shoot for free. They will still have to pay the range fee, but no reg fee. Then if you and LLP can touch base, he can be the BOTG. Thanks for this and remember everyone, this is the year of Appleseed Promotion!

James E

Email sent to Lt. Col Kirkland today at 9:45 am

I will also be sending emails to the ROTC staff at Cal Poly SLO today to promote the April 19 shoot there.

James E