News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Watervliet MI October 3-4, 2020

Started by SteelThunder, October 05, 2020, 11:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Have you ever walked up to a group of people and just knew they would turn out to be friends?  That's what happened this weekend at Watervliet MI.

10 proud Americans joined us on Saturday and 12 on Sunday.  Saturday started a **wee** bit slow as we set up canopies and a 20x40 Boy Scout tent (that we would be grateful for on Sunday!!) but we quickly got into our course of fire.  Frankly I've never seen 1) a group repeat the safety rules so loudly (was it the threats of having to repeat it?   ;D) and 2) such good groups so early on.

We knocked back all of our instruction on Saturday and ended with an AQT and a team fun shoot against a dueling tree.  The history was great and I really enjoyed everyone's attentiveness.

Sunday started as expected...cold and VERY rainy...some say they saw Noah and an Ark on the horizon.  2 hours in the clubhouse reviewing positions, NPOA and getting everyone down on laser rifles really paid off on the first Redcoat.  In addition to a "Parker's Revenge" team shoot (with FABULOUS PRIZES) we knocked out MANY AQTs.  We also got to hear some DOMs and a nice composite DOW story from Fidget. 

Congratulations to David with his 2 requal Rifleman scores.  Scott H you killed it with your Rifleman score even with a broken slign swivel.  And Catherine...WOW.  From "just getting a rifle" to scoring 211, it was an honor to give you your purple Rifleman patch.

Yimin...I can't believe that you had only shot a rifle 1 time before.  You soaked up the instruction and did great!
Lucas - your safety and perseverance really showed as our "designated marksman".
Ron - rockin' those Tech Sites...look forward to seeing you again (and I won't call you Rory)
Annie and Brad...thanks for the tent...no way we could have survived without it.  Annie we went from "can't hit a barn" to "I know what I'm doing and I'm grouping".  Brad I appreciate your focus on the skills.  Next time!
Scott G - even though you're my cycling buddy...I have to admit, you know what you're doing.  Great job.
Chris - you are so close!  Keep at it.
Cassandra and Angelina -- great to see you again and I'm glad you were able to finish your weekend.

And a big thanks to our instructor crew.  Your instruction and history were top notch...oh...CONGRATULATIONS FIDGET ON YOUR RED HAT!!!

(Don't forget to have a moment of rememberance for the dearly departed canopy that didn't survive the rain)

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Fidget

Great job everyone! The weather wasn't the nicest or the warmest but you all were and made it a great event! Thank you!
Yimin - You were rocking it and got to try a few rifles, hope you continue and get your rifleman patch.
Catherine - Awesome, awesome job! You know what you are about! You showed that by practicing and dry firing every chance you got, and it paid off!
David - Wow, scoring your first rifleman with a 231 in the rain!
Lucas - You left ready for the boy scout event, keep up the good practice with your Dad!
Ron - I look forward to seeing you at another event with those Tech Sites!
Cassandra - It was great seeing you again, you rock!
Angelina - Keep up the good work and you could earn an orange hat!
Annie and Brad - Watch out here's a couple who know what they are about!
Annie - You got to try a few different rifles to see which one you liked best, hope to see you back rock'n it!
Brad - You are getting this keep up the good work! (& Thank you so much for use of the tent!)
Scott H - Thank you for the challenging questions! They helped me demonstrate my instructor abilities to advance to the next level. Great job scoring Rifleman!
Scott G - It was great having you at the event, hope to see you at another!
Chris - Keep up the great work!

Pictures:

Riflemen

Young Patriot Patches

The Flags

Pledge, Intro & Safety

First Strike

Second Strike

Fun Shoot Tie!

Fun Shoot Tie #2

Carding the Lasers

On the Line

[/img]

It was wet!

Canopy down, canopy down! Call a canopy medic!
I'm sorry the Canopy didn't make it...
SB's requested moment of remembrance for the dearly departed canopy.

Instructor Promotion

Future Orange Hat?

Most of my books are here: https://www.librarycat.org/lib/bflysmile

MI-copperhead

Great weekend of Appleseeding despite the cool and rainy weather. I was really impressed by the level of attention we received instructing the shooters. Great questions brought up that kept us instructors on our toes. Everyone on the line except Lucas was a first-time Applseeder but you wouldn't know that by end of the day Sunday. I saw a lot of people drinking from the firehose of Project Appleseed instruction and applying it well. After presenting 2nd Strike at this Appleseed also, I am really beginning to enjoy this part of instructing as well, with lot's of "good job" compliments from the shooters. You couldn't ask for a better group to instruct or a better group of instructors to work with.
Many thanks to all who attended.
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

tomahawk

This Project Appleseed Event had a big tent approach. Congratulations to Fidget on earning the coveted red hat. The orange hat retirement party was awesome. Where was the 450 Bushmaster when I needed it. There was a lot of talent in the participants and the instructors. I suspect that there are several rifle shooting prodigies in the works.

tomahawk

Some photos showing the big tent.