News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Memphis, TN September 26-27 2020

Started by dart67eb, September 27, 2020, 10:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dart67eb

This was a great Appleseed!  Perfect weather, great instructors and most of all, great students!  We had two people make Rifleman for the first time and two requalify.  I saw some of the best attitudes on the line in my time as a SB.  Since I had an SBIT (Shoot Boss in Training), I'll let him and everyone else fill in the rest!
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Flintlock54

Acts 22:28. I was freeborn

Rustygun

A really great event at the Memphis Sport Shooting Assoc! We had a sold out line with mix of shooters ranging from returning Riflemen to a couple who just purchased rifles for the first time. The weather couldn't have been better with highs in the 80's both days. The group was attentive and engaged. The fire hose of instruction was turned on and groups began to shrink. Nikki and Mike had brand new AR15s. It didn't take long before Flintlock 54 had them handling them like old pros. Tom tried out a 10-22 and showed a lot of improvement over the weekend. Most improved has to go to Chad who started off shooting all over the place, but by the end of Sunday was hammering out strong Stages 1, 3, and 4 but couldn't quite find the sweet spot with Stage 2. He ended up with scores in the high 190's. Avery was shooting very well with his bolt gun and will no doubt patch when his speed improves. Returning Riflemen John and Keith both shot qualifying scores. Alan was trending well until his neck and back started sending him messages he couldn't ignore holding him back. Carter and Steve put it all together to get their Rifleman patches. Jacob's scores improved a lot over the weekend. Another event after some dry fire should put him in the money.

We were very fortunate to have three out of town Instructors present for the event. TN Beast did a great job particularly with Long Range and Second Strike. Flintlock 54 who came all the way from Missouri provided a lot of good instruction on the line and a special treat at lunch on Sunday when he demonstrated the application of his flintlock musket. He struck his target off hand twice showing he knows what he is about. Black Knight provided invaluable service at registration and really helped keep things running smooth. Ebben did a great job as always.

All in all a great event with shooters soaking up the instruction like a sponge, perfect weather, no problems.

Here are a few pics

Ebben welcomes the shooters

Flintlock54 turns on the firehose

the shooters go to work

Black Knight explaining the course of fire

TN Beast with a rousing Second Strike

Flintlock54 with a blast from the past

shooters with their zombies/ a Memphis exclusive

some guys who know very well what they are about

Capocaccia

Carter "Mask Man" here.  Thank you all very much for the instruction.  This was my second event to attend and I hope to attend a third one day.  Ill be encouraging friends and family to attend the events.

RiverRat Rifleman

This was my first Appleseed and if I had to sum it up in one word it was a BLAST!  The instructors were great. They were very knowledgeable and went above and beyond to make sure the students were successful. As the weekend progressed the teaching cadre honed the students skills resulting in increasing scores across the board.   

The training was in classic marksmanship as would have been taught to a WW2 recruit. The goal was to be able to hit a target at 400 yards.  This was no easy task. It was here the personal attention from instructors was really appreciated.

Rifle instruction was interspersed with talks on the start of the American Revolution. This was a bonus for us history buffs.

Shooting is always fun, but the  camaraderie among the shooters  was the icing on the cake.  I was impressed with students helping each other with tips, gear and encouragement  Some shooters would even add extra shots to their neighbors targets just to increase the neighbors score. 

I am looking forward to my next Appleseed. If you are thinking about going all i can say is "get some"
Rifleman (scoped) Memphis
Rifleman (open sights) Jackson
Morgan's Shingle Puryear
Known Distance Huntsville
Pistoleer™ Memphis

Tennessee Beast

This was a great bunch of patriots to work with!  Congratulations to our Riflemen!  If you didn't make it this time, remember that a Rifleman persists!  I took a couple of pictures.  I thought the exercise with the laser rifles was time well spent.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

CrapShoot

Thank you to all the knowledgeable (and patient) instructors. A great time was had, and I look forward to my next Appleseed shoot. 210 or nothing!
1st AS: 09/26/2020
2nd AS: 10/17/2020
3rd AS: 11/14/2020
4th AS: 04/17/2021
5th AS: 05/29/2021
Rifleman: 05/30/2021
Rifleman: 09/26/2021

Mustang

We had a great time at the hand of some knowledgeable Appleseed rifle instructors in Memphis at M.S.S.A.  Figured out what kind of shape I was in and this "Rifleman to be" is gonna work on that.  Enjoyed the history lesson along with the shooting instructions.  First time using a sling to steady the rifle.  What a great program and I for one will promote Project Appleseed every chance I get! Photo of our Midsouth Minutemen cadre sporting their bandanas. Way to go Rustygun, Flintlock54, TNBeast, Black Knight, Dart67eb.

Mustang

Hey Black Knight...  Great job with the storytelling by the way!

Black Knight

Gorgeous weather for an Appleseed event.  Super attentive shooters and fun was had by all.  Many were already committing to the next Appleseed event in Como, MS.
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021