News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hey, southwest Ohio, I could use some additional help at Knob Creek...

Started by Texas T, September 03, 2020, 08:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas T

There is a sold out event at Knob Creek, in northern KY on Sept. 19-20. We have 22 shooters and only a few instructors. They have enough room to accommodate all 22 on the line, without having to go to relays. This will be much more efficient. The twist to this event is that KY, and this range, are recognizing social distancing as a requirement, including outside. With a 6' spread between shooters, our firing line will be about 125' long, and the target line about 150'.

With a shooting line of that length, I'm going to need to try to use both LSOs and RSOs. With current staffing, that will not be possible. One of the instructors who is signed up has come up with a scheduling conflict and will not be able to attend. That leave one instructor, one IIT0 (this will be his second event as an IIT) and me.

We also have 5 youth that are 15 or under,  with one being 10 and one being 8.

Needless to say, I could use a couple of able-bodied men and/or women to come out to the world-renowned Knob Creek range to enjoy a beautiful weekend and spread the word about liberty. With this many young ears in the audience, it is an opportunity that shouldn't be missed.

Come on down and join us. It will be greatly appreciated.

By-the-way, it's never "Too Far". I'm heading down from Pittsburgh so, no excuses! Hope to see you there.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Corvette

Let's get TexasT some help at Knob Creek in KY.  Sold out shoot that will spread out to avoid relays.  Need extra eyes on the line. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Shadow870

I can not promise anything now, but I will see what I can do about getting down there and helping that weekend. I will update when I know more.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of both tyrants and patriots. - Thomas Jefferson

GTEngineer

Just a suggestion, email the shooters and find out who are traveling together and/or live together, you probably wouldn't need to social distance folks who are already living together or traveled together in the same vehicle.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleer™:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleer™ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

Texas T

Thanks. Already did that, from the check-in list and roster. Compared last names, phone numbers, email addresses and cities (locations). Matched up seven groups of two and one group of three. There are only five singles. I've put together my firing/target lines taking all of that into consideration and have even gone so far as to assign specific positions, based on all of that (I've never gone to that level of detail before). I have it down to 116 feet of firing/target lines needed. I have it tracked down to the foot, so the target line will be an engineering feat between post and backer placement. KY doesn't seem to recognize those that might travel together, their order only exempts "families".

I've already assigned the crossover rifles for either two RSOs or if we can get enough instructors to use LSOs, those crossover rifles are also designated. I've placed the parties with young shooters close to the center so that, while the RSOs/Instructors can oversee them, they will be in easy view of the Line Boss (extra set of eyes) as well.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

I understand that one of my instructors now has a conflict on Saturday and will possibly only be there on Sunday, if at all.

MI IBC, February 2017

GTEngineer

Quote from: Texas T on September 05, 2020, 10:19:55 PM
.... so the target line will be an engineering feat between post and backer placement....

Take a look at this thread.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=47154.0

I made a version of AZMule's setup (photos are in that thread) and it has held up very well.  All it takes are some rebar, ziptie, conduit, safety fence (the thicker type), paracord, and stakes.  Rolls up neatly and you can easily clip onto the fence with wooden cloth pins found at your local dollar store variant.  If you're stretching your target line that long, might consider doing this.  Doesn't take long to build.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA