News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur, NC, AAR - August 15-16, 2020

Started by Santander, August 26, 2020, 08:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santander

Ramseur, NC, AAR - August 15-16, 2020

This was a great weekend for an Appleseed event. We had enthusiastic participants and instructors and the weather was unseasonably cool. Though it threatened rain all weekend, it only seemed to rain when we were on the line. I was impressed with the teachable attitudes that each of the attendees brought as well as their attention to safety.  I could not have asked for more.

While taking the appropriate precautions for Coronavirus, were able to work closely with socially distanced with our small group. We took all instruction outside. We covered the full curriculum, starting with our safety briefing. Then we set the tone for the day with the First Strike. We then proceeded to establish a baseline with the morning Redcoat target, and then the three pillars of marksmanship: NPOA, Steady hold factors, & 6-Steps of firing the shot (and sling use). During lunch we covered Strikes 2 and 3. With those stories, a little food, and a little rest, everyone was fired up and we resumed instruction with Target Analysis, IMC, seated and standing positions and then on to the AQT.  We brought things to a close on the first day with the afternoon Redcoat target.

On Sunday, we started with our Known Distance instruction about how to apply the fundamentals at the Rifleman's Quarter Mile.  After a good review of the previous day's curriculum we began the AQT grind. The second day revealed tighter groups across all of the participants.  And though we had several people who wanted (and had the skills) to put hits on steel up at 500 yard range, they all decided to stay at the 25 yard line and focus on earning the coveted Rifleman patch.   And one did earn the honor of Rifleman.

I cannot speak highly enough about the attendees.  Their safe practices and commitment to applying the knowledge from those 2 days make everything that we do, as instructors, worth the time and effort. I thank you all.  And I thank each of the instructors that contributed to making this weekend a success.  One of our IITs progressed to the next level and I am looking forward to him earning his Red Hat.

Sincerely,
Santander