News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Known Distance - Searsboro

Started by Burnett, July 30, 2020, 09:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnett

A buddy of mine and I just got registered for the KD in Searsboro in October.
Muchly looking forward to it.
Anyone have an '03A3 I can borrow?  O0
Burnett

Ames

Excellent!  I'm very excited about this public KD event at Brownell's Big Springs Shooting Complex, which is a great facility.  Hope you can find that perfect center fire for the event!  So many choices.   :)  See you in October.

Burnett

Right now I can field a Garand and some ARs, though I'm not sure how to count them. 3 lowers and two uppers, so is that 3... or 2... or 6? I'm really quite confused.
If I put a 40 MOA rail on that .22 bolt gun, I'd have enough adjustment.

Burnett

Do you know if green tip is allowed at Searsboro? I'll have to do some finding if not.
Thanks,
Greg

Ames

I've reviewed the range's SOP, and there is no prohibition specified for green-tip.  There are constraints when using non-frangible's on steel targets, but we will be shooting at paper, cardboard and earthen berm. 

Cort

Burnett

So for now, I'll figure it is good.
Thanks.

Moose3

Cort,

My coworker brought my attention to this upcoming event, and I am thinking it may be time to dust off the gear and start stretching!  :)  Wish I had joined you guys a couple weeks ago when you did the shoot here in town.

How are these KD events operated compared to the conventional appleseed?  Moving firing line or target locations?

Ames

Hey Moose3!

The KD at Searsboro is being held at https://www.bigspringsrange.com/.  We will be using their 500 yd bay, which will have a moving firing line so that targets can remain at the berm.   That may mean shooters may want to forgo a shooting mat to have one less item to move from firing line to firing line.  And that's not a bad idea to get used to shooting without a mat.  Firing lines are on turf.

There are three 25yd Appleseeds in Iowa before the KD -- Clinton, Birmingham, and Dubuque.  Perhaps consider attending one of those to practice up if it has been a while on the AS firing line. 

The KD will feel familiar in some ways to a 25Yd AS, but shooting full distance (100, 200, 300 and 400 yds) is a different, but very worthwhile, ball game.  I hope you decide to join us for the KD!  They are incredible!  You will learn a ton about yourself and your rifle at full distance.

Cort

Moose3

What kind of round count is expected on a KD event?

Could a guy bring along a little red wagon to drag his gear along in? ???

Burnett

Quote from: Moose3 on August 24, 2020, 01:28:36 PM

I'd always heard that at KD's, the shoot boss and the other "hats" acted as Sherpas. No?

Ames

Quote from: Burnett on August 24, 2020, 06:29:36 PM

I'd always heard that at KD's, the shoot boss and the other "hats" acted as Sherpas. No?

Orange Hats, maybe...  Depends on how ornery the shoot boss is feeling.

Ames

Bring around 300-350 rounds.  That should be plenty.  I suspect a little less than that will be needed.  Depends on how well your little red wagon holds up.   :)  And yeah, I think a little wagon to haul gear would be fine.  Or shooting cart.  On the other hand, a small backpack to hold water, snacks, ammo, pen and notebook, plus a rifle is about all you need to schlep between firing lines.  But a cart can be helpful for some folks because there will be a lot of walking.

Burnett

Quote from: Ames on August 24, 2020, 06:36:06 PM
Quote from: Burnett on August 24, 2020, 06:29:36 PM

Orange Hats, maybe...  Depends on how ornery the shoot boss is feeling.

That's just what I heard and I figured it was true.

Burnett

Asking to be sure, the distances are in yards not meters?
Wanna work on figuring out my sight adjustments/dope.
Also, on an M-16A2/AR-15A2, 20" barrel with fixed carry handle, does anyone remember off the top of their head what each click up or down on the front sight results in downrange?
I don't remember and my bing-fu is being weak.
Thanks,
Greg

edit:
Found the sight info. Just had to ask; that's how it works.

Captain

Hey Burnett, if I'm not mistaken . . .

Front Sight Post Click Values â€" 20″ Barrel:

Each click of the front sight post â‰... 1.25 MOA

Have fun at your KD!
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Burnett

Quote from: Captain on September 02, 2020, 11:56:18 PM
Hey Burnett, if I'm not mistaken . . .

Front Sight Post Click Values â€" 20″ Barrel:

Each click of the front sight post â‰... 1.25 MOA

Have fun at your KD!
Thanks. Thought to look in the -10 manual just after my post, and according to that it is 1-3/8" at 100 meters, which if I'm doing my cross-multiplying correctly works out to 1.2573" at 100 yards.
Which, if I'm backwards working the inch to MOA correctly is 1.2009 MOA.
If the ifs are correct.
Which I am not promising.

And I do plan on having fun at the KD.

KSFlatlander

1-3/8" is 1.375.
Generally the 4 notch posts are 1 MOA/click and the 5 notch posts are 1.25moa.

Burnett

Took a couple of ARs out this morning to get them zeroed; an A2 upper I just put together and an older one I call my Multi-Purpose Rifle (MPR).
For the A2, did the 25m Army zero thing and confirmed at 300m. Never actually did that while enlisted. Pretty cool seeing it work. I did not spend any time seeing what I needed to do at 100-400 yards, but...
The MPR has a free-floated 16" barrel and a Bushnell scope that has a BDC in it. Got a zero at 100y then moved back to 200, 300, and 400 and the BDC was pretty much on. Tad high maybe and maybe a tad to the left, but there was a wind from the right so I didn't mess with it.
Now as long as I can still get next weekend off.  ???

Burnett

Moose3

What a wonderful weekend of shooting.  Couldn't have asked for a better set of instructors.

Definitely falls in the category of "would do again" and would highly recommend any current or former appleseeders to give it a try!

Burnett

Quote from: Moose3 on October 12, 2020, 06:43:37 PM
What a wonderful weekend of shooting.  Couldn't have asked for a better set of instructors.

Definitely falls in the category of "would do again" and would highly recommend any current or former appleseeders to give it a try!
Absolutely. With a golf cart.

Moose3

Probably could get in a couple more AQTs with motorized transportation.

Twineagles

Maybe we can convince them to build a couple of towers with zip lines?  ;D

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne