News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Any Hollywood or SE Florida events in the Works?

Started by Not Sure, July 11, 2020, 12:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Sure

Shot my first Appleseed with a borrowed Marlin Model 60 in Hollywood.  I think is was last November.  It was a great event, way better than my scores at least.  I have really wanted to come to another but life has gotten in the way of attending a few scheduled events that have come and gone then COVID got in the way of everything.  I saw one on the calendar in Hollwood scheduled in August, but it's no longer on the list.  I know it is very difficult to schedule much of anything these days, but are there any thoughts of coming back to SE FL?

Thanks,
Mike

ScubaSteve

Good to here from you Mike.

The short answer is yes, the plan is to get shoots in South Florida going again as soon as practical. Hopefully in the future we will have regular shoots in Hollywood as well as Homestead. As you know Covid has been a problem in South Florida and has forced us to cancel many shoots including the one in Aug. As soon as we can run a shoot safely in that area we will get new dates up on the calendar.

Please dont post it here but if you would like to send me a private message with your email address I would be happy to send you an email when we get another shoot scheduled.

Steve

Planeman

Hi FlyinLead,
Don't know if you've been following the forum updates, but we have a one-day AS scheduled for October 31 at Hollywood.  It's fill fast and we've limited the student count to 24.

Hope you can make it and look forward to meeting you.

-Joe
"Instead of sitting down satisfied with the efforts we have already made, which is the wish of our enemies, the necessity of the times, now more than ever, calls for our utmost circumspection, deliberation, fortitude, and perseverance.."  - Samuel Adams-- HUZZAH!!

Not Sure

Thanks Joe,
Really glad I checked the forum today.  I am in, but have 2 questions:
1). I have a friend that would like to attend as wee, but may need a loaner rifle.  Odds of availability?
2). I may want to bring my 10 yr old daughter.  She is a very good listener and is very coachable, but has only shot her Daisy 853 off a rest.  The only 22 I have is a 10/22 target model, which is too heavy for her.  Would you have any reservations about bringing her?

Mike

ScubaSteve

Hi Mike its Steve.  This shoot is filling up fast so i wanted to get a reply to you ASAP.

No problem on a loaner rifle. I will have 2 10/22s with me and some of the other instructors will have a few as well.

As for your daughter I would have no reservations about bringing her. We have worked with kids as young as 8. The only down side based on what you have said is getting a rifle that will fit her. The lightest rifles I have are Ruger 10/22s.  That said I do have a rest she can use. Instead of having her do transitions and hold the rifle in standing we can put her in prone and let her use a rest all day if she wants. If she can do the other positions she is of course welcome.

Note the last I checked we only had 6 spots available for this shoot. Your group is 3 of them. I would recommend signing up fast. With social distancing rules we may not be able to take walk ons on Saturday morning.

Steve

Not Sure

Great!

I remember being envious of some of the loaner rifles last year.  There was definitely some nice equipment there.

I registered 2 adults and a kid  I'll see if I can find any others to help fill the remaining 3.

Planeman

Hi Mike - it's Joe,

Don't worry about loaners, especially for smaller children.  I've got a least 3 or 4 still available.  One of the other instructors and I are working on a children's 10/22 with a shorter adjustable stock and much lighter to hold as well. We plan to have that one completed and ready for the event.

Just look for me and I'll make a point of putting that rifle aside for your daughter.

-Joe (planeman)
"Instead of sitting down satisfied with the efforts we have already made, which is the wish of our enemies, the necessity of the times, now more than ever, calls for our utmost circumspection, deliberation, fortitude, and perseverance.."  - Samuel Adams-- HUZZAH!!

Not Sure

Gentlemen,

One friend of mine that already registered thought he'd need a loaner but recently ordered a 10/22, so he should be good to go.  I've got two more friends intersted in attending the Hollywood event, but they would need loaner rifles.  Do you think loaners will be available for them?  If so, I'll get them to go ahead and register.  I think we have her covered, but I wanted to make sure my daughter is counted as needing a loaner as well.

I could probably find a few more people, but don't want to monopolize the event.

Mike

Planeman

Hi Mike,
The short answer is yes, we can get loaners, given enough lead time.  I always have a few and I know many of the other instructors in our group have several as well.  Feel comfortable in registering for the event.  The main thing is you'll need to have approximately 300 or so round of .22LR ammunition to use during a two-day event. 

We still have a few slots open for the December 12 and 13 event at Hollywood.  Hope to see you and your friends there!

-Joe