News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR for Leetown Gun Club (IWLA), Kearneysville, WV 27-28 June, 2020

Started by Cold Warrior, July 06, 2020, 01:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Warrior

Seven great Americans got up off the couch to come out and participate in the return of Project Appleseed to the great State of West Virginia! 

This event was also a make-up event for a previously cancelled Patriot's Day event on April 18-19th, so we were in a festive mood! The weather Saturday was a bit warm, but still nice for the start of a two-day Project Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship Clinic at the Leetown Gun Club, Isaac Walton League of America (IWLA), in Kearneysville, WV.  We were very happy to see an almost full line! 

After the introductions and safety brief, and first Red-coat target; we kicked off the history with the First Strike.  After instruction in the prone position ("Steady-Hold Factors [SHF]") and putting sighters on the Squares target, we could see we had a lot to work with. Group size came down rapidly as students listened intently to instruction.  After some more history at lunch, we got back to marksmanship training - and taught Standing and Seated/Kneeling SHF on the "Grenadiers" target, followed by a practice AQT, and BAM, Rifleman scores right out of the box!  Jim T and Aaron put up a 213 and a 234 respectively. After the telling of the Third Strike, and the exciting conclusion to the story of April 19th, 1775, we wrapped day-one up with the final Red Coat target (and two cleaned red coats!).

Sunday morning dawned clear and beautiful, having dodged the predicted rough weather. After Safety brief and sighters, we got right to the AQTs, and then some stories of Dangerous Old Men (DOM). Remember, on Saturday we had told the "Three Strikes", about what our forefathers, a bunch of farmers, shop-keepers, and "common folk" were able to do together against the vaunted British Army, the most feared standing army in the world at the time. On Sunday, we told the stories of what individuals did; people that didn't need to show up, but did - and made a huge difference. In keeping with the theme of the individual on Sunday, individual coaching points generated some incredible scoring!
My hat's off to the collected group.

All the shooters maintained a fabulous attitude, obvious improvements were made, and everybody had fun, too!  Mark and Brendon unfortunately had to leave early on Sunday, but were in the 180s. Betsy had a 209.  Yes.  A 209; no application of the .30 cal rule would get it to the magic 210...
You guys are so close, you have the skills. A Rifleman Persists! 
We had four other shooters post Riflemen scores! Here's the list:
Aaron - 234, 222, 218, 216, 214, 224
Ally - 210, 213, 214
Jed - 223, 215, 217, 213
Jim - 213, 216, 216, 236, 236
4 out of 7 made Rifleman!

Huzzah!

In addition, Ally accepted the Sunday morning "Cold-bore Challenge" with her first shot at the shingle, and nailed it! Great job. Ally knows very much what she is about.  Jed cleaned his Red Coat for the first time earning a Front Site patch. Ana (Aninha) received her 25-event pin from Project Appleseed, too.

Thank you very much to Gerry and our host range, the Leetown Gun Club (IWLA), in Kearneysville, WV.
Check out their website http://iwlawv.org/

And last but not least, many thanks to my fellow instructors BeSwift and Aninha.  Brian has been my mentor for years now, and I appreciate so much his patience with me, and his guidance and teachings.  Ana (my Wife) has been with me on many events, and her bright, cheery attitude and hard work have made it easier to do my job.
Thanks to the both of you for your hard work and professional demeanor, making this a safe, fun, and successful event.
"The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of the Appleseed mission, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember citizens, that you are free men and women, fighting for the blessings of Liberty; that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like Riflemen." ~ GW & Fred

Cold Warrior

Huzzah!

Awards -  O0
"The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of the Appleseed mission, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember citizens, that you are free men and women, fighting for the blessings of Liberty; that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like Riflemen." ~ GW & Fred

Cold Warrior

More pics -  :F

Cold Warrior

O0