News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Douglas IBC/RBC, June 6-12, 2020

Started by CokeGuy, June 13, 2020, 09:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CokeGuy

CokeGuy

What a fabulous time we had with great folks from WY, CO, ID, UT and (wow!) MI! The friendly atmosphere made me feel like I was still in the South! I expect many promotions to result at the regular Appleseed clinic this weekend.
The friendly competition between Tennessee Beast and Captain kept us all entertained. They were both knocking on the door of a 250, and Captain came close with a 249.
Thanks to all for your eagerness to learn and improve, and for making TB, Morpheus and CokeGuy feel like family as the week progressed.
I hope our paths will cross again in the near future.

sleepy

Just got back from the 2-day clinic closing the week at Douglas, and apparently missed out on one big party! Everyone seemed to be having a great time learning marksmanship skills, instructor skills, and hanging out.

A lot of thanks are owed to many who stepped up.

Thanks to our shooters who came from all over. A rifleman persists!

Thanks to our students at the IBC who came to learn to bail just a little bit better.

Thanks to our cadre from the Rockies for coming up to work, learn, and even shoot a little.

Thanks to our border-raiding traveling trio who came to share knowledge. Tennessee Beast, CokeGuy, and Morpheus are now part of Wyoming's cadre...on loan back to their original states.

And thanks to the folks at the Converse County Range for allowing us use of their wonderful facility.

I'm not yet privy to our final tally, but I know we've added to our Wyoming cadre in both quality and quantity, in addition to benefiting cadre of other states. Some promotions long overdue will be happening in the next few days, enhancing to our ability to execute the mission.

And treat of treats, cadre usually busy working the line had some quality trigger time. Pigs occasionally fly.

Captain

This was my first time to attend the "Best in the West" Douglas IBC/RBC/Appleseed! What a great time to learn some more about instructing. I only remembered to get a few pictures at the IBC that captured the 3 senior instructors who came out to help as leaders for the event. We had instructors from several states so a big thanks to all who helped.

Morpheus

Coke Guy

Colonial Shooter

There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Captain

On Sunday afternoon, we made the transition to the RBC part of the event kicking off with known distance (KD) academics presented by . . . Maximum Ordinate - all the way from Alabama!

The Fort Fetterman Sportsman Association was a great place for this event. What a great place to shoot! We were all grateful for the covered line for all the time we were out in the sun. There was a lot of shooting and plenty of Wyoming wind to keep things honest. The "Beast" from Tennessee dominated on the firing line, putting up distinguished performances despite the winds . . . including a 248!!! Nice work! Everyone had plenty of time to teach, call the line, RSO and introduce targets, etc. . . . and shoot!!

The next three days we worked on the 25 m range and all the skills and teaching from a normal two day rifle clinic. Captain Parker and Black Russian also invited the gang over a couple of times to dinner at their RV parked out at the KOA! Nice way to unwind after a long day on the line.

Captain

Thursday was KD Day and we moved over to the 600 yard range. We were able to set up firing positions for eight shooters at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards - simultaneously! It was great to set up spots and leave the rifles and gear under cover all day long. Luckily the wind also stayed down and we had several shooters make the Rifleman's score of 40 hits or better!

Max after a long day of chasing antelopes!!

We all had a chance to reach out to the steel targets set out to 600 yards to wrap up the day.

Captain

Friday started with some more learning and some more AQT work in light conditions. After a week of shooting in Wyoming winds, it almost felt like cheating. Captain Parker also showed us his muzzle loader and the rifleman's tools from our past.

Captain

We finally closed out the IBC/RBC by awarding the patches to the many shooters who had earned them over the course of the event.

We also have to give a special shout out to Wyoming's Favorite Appleseeder - M1bzrk! He's been to almost every Wyoming IBC/RBC since they started! He was always the first one at the range in the morning and the last one to leave at night!

Lots of new friends were made and the torch of liberty burns a little brighter. So long "Douglas 6-20!"

Morpheus

I am so thankful for the opportunity to Shoot Boss this great event! The Wyoming cadre, and the Fort Fetterman Sportsman Association, are most excellent hosts, and it was an honor to share this week with such great liberty minded folks!

We were blessed to have a classroom to use for the two day IBC, because the typical Wyoming summer dealt a couple of its local thunderstorms our way. Of course, the week of the RBC was no disappointment in the weather extremes either! We had a couple of mornings in the 30's, some sunny days near 90, wind, a little hail, some rain, and just plain beautiful weather. Sign me up again Wyoming!!

My congratulations to the high scorers for the RBC: TN Beast with his 248 on the 25m AQT! and to Captain with his 49 on the KDAQT! Huzzah!! Every shooter and instructor certainly showed what they were made of this week, and it was an honor to share this time with them.

Thank you to Cokeguy for taking on the IBC lead and for his leadership throughout the week, to Maximum Ordinate for his superior KD portion of instruction on Sunday. Thank you to M1BZRK, Colonial Shooter, and the rest of the Wyoming cadre for hosting us. My thanks also to Marathon Girl and Wildman57 for their assistance with the KD range. Thank you!!

It had been four+ years since my last RBC. I hope that my rustiness wasn't too apparent, and I thank you all for the accolades so generously offered me at the end of the week. You are certainly worth the effort!

I hope to see you all along the trail again soon.
In liberty,

Morpheus

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Tennessee Beast

I really enjoyed meeting everyone.  The locals (WY and CO folks) made me feel welcome.  I have made more friends and got to experience some wind (even if it was only at 25 M).  I didn't take too many pictures because I was too busy having fun.  I did take a picture of Morpheus and a picture of the final scores for the week.

p.s. props are due to Morpheus for being brave enough to ride in a car with me for 40 hours. 
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on June 18, 2020, 01:40:50 PM
I really enjoyed meeting everyone.  The locals (WY and CO folks) made me feel welcome.  I have made more friends and got to experience some wind (even if it was only at 25 M).  I didn't take too many pictures because I was too busy having fun.  I did take a picture of Morpheus and a picture of the final scores for the week.

p.s. props are due to Morpheus for being brave enough to ride in a car with me for 40 hours.

Dude, I don't know if I could ride in a car with ANYONE for 40 hours!!   #) You both deserve a medal  ;D
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

The Homemaker

I must say it was truly a magical week for me. Every obstacle has its blessings. Perhaps, it was the lock-down pandemic (no, I didn't mix words by mistake) that attracted such extraordinary talent from all corners of the U.S. to the windy wilds of Wyoming, where it is impossible to lock anything down. There were many inspiring leaders who came and went during the nine days of events  (IBC, RBC, KD, and an Appleseed), I dare not make a list, because I have poor name recall and I would unintentionally leave someone out. All the apples were good!  The successful transfer of teaching and learning requires the completeness of rote, understanding, application, and correlation. That was accomplished with elegant efficiency and effectiveness. The week was enlightening and motivational. When the events concluded, I was more knowledgeable, skilled, and confident. Nicely done everyone! It was a privilege and an honor to be in such good company. 

I posted photo's on the separate AARR for the Douglas 13th and 14th Appleseed.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Will Durant -