News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Newark, Ohio June 6&7, 2020

Started by Corvette, June 06, 2020, 11:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

Day one is done and while humid, there was enough breeze that it was bearable.  This is just a placeholder for full report to follow.  I have great hopes for tomorrow's AQT's.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

We just completed another great event at Dillon Sportsman Center near Newark, Ohio.  Twenty motivated shooters showed up ready to work on their Marksmanship skills. The weather was generally good all weekend but it was hot and humid on Saturday and sunny, hot but not as humid on Sunday. 

Once all the shooters had arrived, we completed the normal welcome and moved to the safety briefing. Rifles were brought to the line. To help with our social distancing, the shooters were divided into two groups so that we could spread folks out while shooting. 

The Saturday morning Red Coats was shot and the results showed we had a pretty great group of shooters.
We had 11 of 20 at 100, 9 at 200, 2 at 300, 4 at 400 and 2 joined Daniel Morgan.

We moved to the steady hold factors in prone, followed by the six steps and NPOA instructions.  Related drills were shot and the morning moved on to shooting sighting groups and an IMC presentation at the lunch break along with the First Strike.  Shooters returned to the line after lunch to continue their work.

Final sights adjustments were made and confirmation groups were shot. Next steady hold instructions in seated was presented which was followed by related drills and the Second Strike at the afternoon break.

Steady hold in standing was presented next which was followed by the Patriot Volley (this was treated as a Patriot Weekend event) and the Saturday afternoon Red Coat which showed more improvement.  The Third Strike from Corvette followed which was followed by a call to action to all to get active in their local communities.

Sunday dawned with weather just as nice as Saturday but cooler and with lower humidity.  The morning Red Coat was shot and the results continued to improve.  After an NPOA drill, we moved to our practice AQT to orient folks on the specifics of each stage.
We followed this with two AQTs, shot in flights, before it was time to break for lunch.  There were a number of good scores and several exceeded the magic 210.

After a KD lecture at lunch, we were back on the line for more AQT's.  More good scores were shot and more Riflemen were made.  To all, a big HUZZAH on your success.

Riflemen:  Mark-232, 231(Requals), Thad-222 (New), and to my great personal enjoyment, Carey-212 (New).  Carey and his mom are a frequent visitor to Appleseed and it was great to see Carey's joy at finally joining the ranks of Ohio Riflemen.  Huzzah, well done.

Congrats also to Mark as well.  With 2 great re-qualifying scores and two cleared Red Coats, he showed that Riflemen are committed to improving their craft.

The group finished the day with the Sunday Red Coat and more improvement was demonstrated.

Our thanks to Dillon Sportsman Center for hosting our event and my thanks to AimBotv2.0, J Madison and Meadow, for helping with this shoot.  It was a pleasure to work with  each and every one of you.  We look forward to our next event at Dillon Sportsman Center.   

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Patriot145

Hello All,
   My name is Daniel and I was fortunate to have the opportunity to attend the 06/06/2020-06/07/2020 Appleseed event at the Dillon Sportsman Center near Newark Ohio.

I want to give a huge thank you to Corvette for his inspiring leadership and focus on safety throughout the course. He kept us focused all the while maintaining a relaxed and enjoyable environment.

Instructor Meadow did a fantastic job of keeping things running smoothly by making sure group "B" was preparing while group "A" was going to be on the line so we could manage our time wisely since we had to alternate so that we could keep our "social distance".

Special thank you to Chewy and AimbotV2 for all the tips and hints for remembering and leveraging the various support holds throughout the shoot. AimbotV2, I promise to keep working on leaving that support hand open!

All of the instructors did a phenomenal job, from working with me to adopt the correct positioning, to overcoming bad habits, and they were even patient with me when there were things I just wasn't getting. To top it all off, every one of the instructors told (with feeling), stories of how the colonists stood on their values and in many cases risked it all for the sake of liberty. They shared American heritage in an inspiring and motivational way.

While this may have been my first Appleseed event, it certainly will not be my last, thank you again for the opportunity!
"Keep that support hand open!" -AimbotV2

"Give me liberty, or give me death!" -Patrick Henry
St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia MARCH 23, 1775

Corvette

Patriot145

Thank you for your kind comments. We try hard to give the best Appleseeds in the program. I look forward to you earning your Rifleman patch. I hope you earn it at one of my shoots. Tell your family and friends about the program. We are working to save the nation.

Corvette

Corvette

Patriot145,

Oh, I forgot to add to my last post that I have an Orange Hat waiting for you once you shoot the score.  We would be blessed to have you step up and join our Ohio Appleseed team.  Give it some thought.  Hope to see you soon at another of our 2020 events.

Corvette

RogueIT

I finally made it to my first Appleseed event this past weekend and I really can't say enough good things about this program and our group of instructors.  After a year of trying to get scheduled for an event, then talking about it with Patriot145, preparing for, and wondering what to expect I thought I was going in prepared.  I can tell you now that I had no idea.  Corvette, Meadow, AimBotv2.0 and Chewy far exceeded my expectations.  From the focus on safety, making sure everyone got involved and stayed involved, to the way the course is layered to build skills and habits quickly without overwhelming even a newcomer.  You gentlemen were amazing.  Making sure we stayed hydrated to combat the heat and informing us about our heritage in an entertaining and thought provoking manner during the breaks.  These messages of our shared history need to be heard by everyone, but they mean so much more when experienced the way it is presented at Appleseed.  I am looking forward to some hard work at the range, my next Appleseed event, and hopefully a Rifleman score. 

Keep up the great work!

-AimBotv2.0 - For the record, in the attached picture I was adjusting my NPOA with my left foot.  It was relaxed shortly after this photo.  Thank you for the persistent and gentle persuasion!
When I grow up, I want to be a "Dangerous old man"

Corvette

Glad you enjoyed our event and looking forward to working with you again on the line.  We will be back at Dillon in the fall, hope to see you there.

Corvette