News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Alamogordo NM - 1 Day Pistol Event 5/29/20 AAR

Started by Ghostring, June 04, 2020, 02:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostring

What was that? A full-day Pistol Clinic as part of an IBC? Well, WHY NOT!!  O0

Albuquerque did not open their range as expected, most likely due to flu-like symptoms  :P
Well, we found a range that would host our NM IBC anyway!   ^:)^

Shout out to the Sidney Paul Gordon range (in La Luz, NM - right next to Alamogordo) - Otero County's hidden gem!

Nine daring instructors showed up to test their mettle against the PQT on that hot May day in Alamogordo.
As the wind blew the desert sands around our boots, we set our our target stands -- even the most casual observer could tell we meant business!
Our formidable array of talent included 6 New Mexico patriots (LibertyHammer, Captwa, Jones, Mrs. Smith, Jerry Hall and Hotairbill), a Mysterious Colorado traveler (Captain), Wyoming's finest (Colonial Shooter) and Texas' own Scuzzy! Huzzah!!

Against a rugged backdrop of rock-strewn mesa we split our string into two relays - had to separate due to range rules - to work on pistol the Appleseed way!
Grip and Position were mastered, reloads and center-line index were practiced, and formerly large groups became smaller and smaller as the sun stretched overhead.
With a little luck, and a lot of grit (figurative and literal!), we were able to get through the entire day's course of fire and...and...how did it all end?!?
...with Congratulations to our three new Pistoleer™s!

Captain pulled out a solid 216, LibertyHammer scored a 211 and Jones was able to put down a 210 (and get wet in the process!!)

In the process, we also shot a little target I like to call the Heartbreaker.  It can be fun, but it's as hard as it sounds  >:D
Check out the photos for Captain's new chalice!

New Mexico is just now opening up from the Covid situation, and I'm so glad we were able to find a range that could help us out.
We had a ton of help from Hotairbill (this is his local range!), and Mark the Range Master is truly a cool dude, and has really taken this range to a new level.
As awesome as the Otero County range is -- who knows what Mark could do if he had a backhoe!

As the sun set on Friday, each of us had learned something.
I'd learned that, no matter how much water you think you're drinking, the desert wants you do drink more!  ;D
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Captain

What a great range and a great event! Hard to believe this event was about to be cancelled when HotairBill and the Sidney Paul Gordon Shooting Range came in to save us! The range staff was spectacular and even let us use the nicest bay in the complex for our event. I know if I lived within a couple hours, this would be my range! I can't wait until the 400 yard range happens and the Known Distance Appleseeds start!

And yes, we all pulled out our "very short rifles" for a Pistol Event! This was fun and really closed the loop from the El Paso IBC last summer where the pistol program was introduced. I think everyone agreed that the Pistol Qualification Test (PQT) is definitely a worthy challenge (and it's HARD)! I'm not sure why we left out the prone position or loop sling, I'll have to go back and check the manual. :)

Ghostring lead us through the pistol material with an assist from "Jones", who definitely modeled perfect form for the rest of us to try to emulate. In the end, the NM sun took its toll, but most of us had a good time and learned some new tricks.

Click on a picture to see it full size and click again to shrink it back down.

Instructor "Jones" gets his 10 event pin and then shows some good pistol form.

Ten Event Instructors Pin

Form demonstration

Someone does this for a livin'

There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Captain

You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?

I have a few more . . .

Captain

Eventually the sun started to take its toll on the Shoot Boss and things got a little zany!

So this penguin gets a flat tire . . .

And sometimes you're the Goat!!

At the end of the day, Mrs. Smith pulled out the most interesting pistol EVER - Colt 45 Long, lever action and tube fed! Expected it would have a harsh kick but it was smooth as butter. Everyone sported a big smile after a few rounds. I'm pretty sure I coulda used my pistol sling . . .

Someone made the extra effort to score exactly 210 and get a little North Bridge refreshment! And a new Pistoleer™ Patch!!! Congrats!

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Very nice!

I would not be surprised if all of scuzzy's hits were head shots... :cool2:
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Mercedes

WOW!  Congratulations to our new Pistoleer™s!!!

Tennessee Beast

I guess they are Pistoleros in NM, right?  Either way, congrats! :beer:
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Captain

Well "Sir Not Appearing" - how did you know. And even when he went downrange to check targets, he would sometimes give the target an elbow or head butt. That guy's just mean I tell ya!

And Beast . . . what are you doin' posting here!? You should be on the road to redemption . . . at the Wyoming IBC/RBC/AS (aka "The Best in the West").  :) See you Saturday!

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Captain on June 04, 2020, 03:44:50 PM
Eventually the sun started to take its toll on the Shoot Boss and things got a little zany!

So this penguin gets a flat tire . . .

And sometimes you're the Goat!!

At the end of the day, Mrs. Smith pulled out the most interesting pistol EVER - Colt 45 Long, lever action and tube fed! Expected it would have a harsh kick but it was smooth as butter. Everyone sported a big smile after a few rounds. I'm pretty sure I coulda used my pistol sling . . .

Someone made the extra effort to score exactly 210 and get a little North Bridge refreshment! And a new Pistoleer™ Patch!!! Congrats!

Did Jim tell you the one about the sea creatures on the beach in Yemen? I have since assigned him the moniker "Yemeni Crab Lord."  ;D
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Tennessee Beast

I am a mere passenger on the trip. I just have to keep Morpheus entertained. ;D. Besides, apparently Wyoming is just a day trip for him.  ;)

Quote from: Captain on June 04, 2020, 09:50:02 PM
And Beast . . . what are you doin' posting here!? You should be on the road to redemption . . . at the Wyoming IBC/RBC/AS (aka "The Best in the West").  :) See you Saturday!
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe