News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Libertyseed / Life Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness for Kindergarden

Started by Marquis de M, February 23, 2020, 08:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marquis de M

Don't know where to post this, so apologies that this does not fit 100% into this category:

I have the opportunity to talk to my child's Kindergarden class regarding "Basic human rights", "The rights of children", "Social Justice".

Who can point me to age appropriate material?

Thank you!
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

Lomshek

Quote from: Marquis de M on February 23, 2020, 08:37:51 PM
Don't know where to post this, so apologies that this does not fit 100% into this category:

I have the opportunity to talk to my child's Kindergarden class regarding "Basic human rights", "The rights of children", "Social Justice".

Who can point me to age appropriate material?

Thank you!

Be careful and make sure you know what you're wading into.

Those phrases, to a lot of educators brought up in the modern system and others of a less traditional liberty minded mindset, and especially social justice, do not mean what most Appleseeders would associate them with.  You may already know this and, if so, I apologize.

Here are the 30 Basic Human Rights as defined by the UN.
https://www.humanrights.com/what-are-human-rights/videos/right-to-privacy.html

1. We Are All Born Free and Equal
2. Don't Discriminate
3. The Right to Life
4. No Slavery
5. No Torture
6. You Have Rights No Matter Where You Go
7. We're All Equal Before the Law
8. Your Human Rights Are Protected by Law
9. No Unfair Detainment
10. The Right to Trial
11. We're Always Innocent Till Proven Guilty
12. The Right to Privacy
13. The Freedom to Move
14. The Right to Asylum
15. Right to a Nationality
16. Marriage and Family
17. The Right to Ownership
18. Freedom of Thought
19. Freedom of Expression
20. The Right to Public Assembly
21. The Right to Democracy
22. Social Security
23. Workers' Rights
24. The Right to Play
25. Food and Shelter for All
26. The Right to Education
27. Copyright
28. A Fair and Free World
29. Responsibility
30. No One Can Take Away Your Human Rights

I'd still jump at the chance knowing that you're entering a potential minefield of misunderstood expectations.

Marquis de M

Thank you Lomshek, your advice was most valuable, as no one (in school) will argue against the UN! Will study that material diligently! Brief overview already let me see that Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness is listed in those 30 Rights as declared by the UN.

On to my next challenge: how do I package that into Kindergarden grade words?

Obviously compressing the 30 Right into the above named three, plus: Human Right # 24: The Right to Play! That should go down well!  O0

And thank you for the warning Sir! I am aware what's going on and believe I can package our message nicely. And... to loosely quote Captain Isaac Davis: I am not a man afraid to go.   :F
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

M

Related to Lomshek's point regarding conflicting interpretations of certain words and phrases, if you're looking for a good read, I cannot recommend enough "A Conflict of Visions: Ideological Origins of Political Struggles" by Thomas Sowell.