News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Local Promotions Efforts - What you can do to help

Started by slim, February 15, 2009, 02:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Folks, Appleseed has a goal of doubling in size every year, and to do that, we have to get the word out to the masses. In order for that to happen, we need volunteers to step up and promote our events on the local level. Boots on the Ground...... YOU!

For every event, we need a Promotions Boss (PB) - someone who will ensure there are shooters at the events. Someone to make sure that every American in their area has the opportunity to at least hear about the Appleseed Project and to know that it's coming to a location near them soon!

If you are someone new to Appleseed or someone looking for a way to "help out" or "get involved" this is it! This is also a good way to help your friends, family, neighbors and maybe even get the word out to someone like yourself, who otherwise wouldn't have heard of Appleseed.  And most of all, it's a great way to do something positive to help our great nation become a nation of Riflemen once again.

Volunteer! Step up! Post your promotional efforts here on this forum and don't be scared to say, "I wanna be the Promotions Boss for this event!"

Here is a check list of Local BOTG action items that need to be done for each shoot:  (Please post your ideas and additions) 

1) Flyer distribution:  We need to list all the possible locations we can, folks lack imagination
  a) Gun/Sports Shops
  b) Gun shows
  c) Grocery Stores and Wal-marts
  d)  Community Centers:  VFW, American Legions, Mason Halls, Church, work,
  e) Barber shops
  f) Local colleges, universities.  Be sure to look for shooting programs on campus, they can be good partners in this effort!
  g) Auto dealers, motorcycle dealers, surfboard dealers (gotta think of Ca.)
  h) Assisted Living communities-Retirement homes
  I) Fire Stations, Police Stations, Union halls, Volunteer fire departments, trade centers
  j)  Non-sponsoring gun clubs- Normally pistol/shotgun only ranges, sometimes indoors.
  k)  Book stores/magazine racks.  Slide them inside gun magazines, as "inserts", be smart about it.
  l)  All Military instillations, Guard base, Armory, Regular base, USO
  m) Auto parts and Farm supply stores
  n) BLM, DNR, Fish and Wildlife offices
  o) Local fitness/wellness programs and centers. YMCA, YWCA, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Gold's Gym, etc.

2)  Internet tools
  a) Other forums (supply list of suggestions)
  b) Community Calendars for surrounding towns/cities
  c) GOA Event announcements--Other Press Release sites (free service)
  f)  Send announcements to your friends/family in your address book, ask them to forward it to their address book.

3)  Other organizations within the state, send announcements.
  a)  State Shooter's associations
  b)  State gun rights political groups:  Conceal carry, 2A groups, Campaign for Liberty, Democrats/Republican (must do both or neither)
  c)  Boy Scouts:  Local troops
  d)  4H:  Local chapters.
  e)  DAR/SAR chapters
  f)  Four Wheeler groups, mud/ridge runner groups

4)  Coordination with host club/range
  a)  ensure they have plenty of flyers and they are hung up
  b)  ensure they have event posted on their website/calendar
  c)  ensure they have put event in club News letter
  d)  "advertise" at club for help with local promotions for this event, to get others to help distribute flyers in the community

5)  Other
  a)  Thrifty Nickle ads

Any questions can be sent to me in a Personal Message (PM) or posted here on this thread. Good luck, and remember - Get the word out!

Mudcat

Don't forget the homeschool groups these people tend to do things as a family even a group of families. I am drafting an e-mail to send to the IN homeschool groups with a schedule of all IN shoots.
I've also been talking to a church youth group leader about Appleseed for a few months now. The youth group director is going to bring his 2 kids to the March Evansville shoot to see what it is all about. I told him if he would get himself and his boys signed up and attend on saturday that I would pay for his sunday expenses. If he enjoys the program (and we all know he will) the rest of the group will be back for the April shoot. So if you have access to a local church youth group leader or mens club leader it would be worth a little chat about the program. Even though some will be saturday only shooters.

What about Craiglist? Can we post our shoots in the events section?

I don't know who the PB is for the Evansville events but if there is not one you could call me by that name. If there is one then he or she has a helper.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

hawkhavn

Mudcat,

You are obviously a man who knows what he is about, you are now the PB for all Evansville area shoots!

Recruit as needed, delegate as necessary, ask for help when needed!

All,
Mudcat has been doing a great job getting the word out and has now added homeschoolers to the mix.

Who is next? Northwest Indiana? North Central?

This is a good hat to wear between shoots.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com