News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winterseed question

Started by magicbullet, January 29, 2020, 11:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbullet

Hi guys, considering going to the shoot scheduled for this weekend. In checking the weather forecast for Quarryville, it looks really pretty tame especially for February. Are there set conditions for winterseed patches to be given out, such as snow falling/on the ground, below freezing temps, etc? Or is it just up to the shoot boss' judgement?

Thanks!

Mark Davis

Welcome to the forum, magicbullet.

Shoot boss discretion. You and the instructors live there.

But special recognition should be given for being at the range, shooting, celebrating freedom, and networking with likeminded folk whilst most are watching the newest commercials.

GTEngineer

Welcome to the forum.

The standard for Winterseed is as follows (I'm paraphrasing from the founder of Appleseed):

1. It has to be cold. Anything below freezing will automatically qualify.
2. The weather clearly has to be an impediment to body and spirit. A Winterseed has to have "uncomfort" associated with it. So a sunny dry calm day with the temp at freezing can be better - way more comfortable - than a day with blowing wind, temp in the high forties, and overcast skies - with or without precipitation.

Because of all these variables, the SB is the man-on-the-spot to make the call.  I'd reach out to the shoot boss and ask.

Those blue winterseed patches are pretty cool!  I hope you get one!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleer™:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleer™ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: GTEngineer on January 30, 2020, 02:27:35 AM
Welcome to the forum.

The standard for Winterseed is as follows (I'm paraphrasing from the founder of Appleseed):

1. It has to be cold. Anything below freezing will automatically qualify.
2. The weather clearly has to be an impediment to body and spirit. A Winterseed has to have "uncomfort" associated with it. So a sunny dry calm day with the temp at freezing can be better - way more comfortable - than a day with blowing wind, temp in the high forties, and overcast skies - with or without precipitation.

Because of all these variables, the SB is the man-on-the-spot to make the call.  I'd reach out to the shoot boss and ask.

Those blue winterseed patches are pretty cool!  I hope you get one!

This is the correct answer.   O0
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

The Wolfhound

I would add in one other thought.  The conditions must apply at the time of the AQTs.  We have had days start at 14 degrees but it was calm and 42 in the afternoon when the AQTs were being shot.  Missed a Winterseed by that much......

magicbullet

Ok, thanks for the info all! Really doesn't look like this weekend is gonna be Winterseed material then, sadly.

GTEngineer

You never know.  Talk to the shoot boss when it gets closer to the AQTs, you might get lucky  ;)

Quote from: magicbullet on January 30, 2020, 11:11:24 PM
Ok, thanks for the info all! Really doesn't look like this weekend is gonna be Winterseed material then, sadly.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleer™:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleer™ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

StevenK

Palmerton PA.  We will schedule some events there (Lord and Range willing) for winter and summer. Stand by!