Author Topic: Will there be a KD in C d'A this year?  (Read 529 times)

Offline TimOren

• RWVA Instructor
Will there be a KD in C d'A this year?
« on: January 22, 2020, 07:56:35 PM »
I have a goal to do one this year, and would rather come up there than go to enemy territory Portland.  Need to figure out a schedule if advance, if possible, due to other summer schedule commitments and possible trips.

Offline GTEngineer

• Shoot Boss
  • A rifleman persists.
Re: Will there be a KD in C d'A this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »
Prescott is working with a range in ID for a possible KD event in 2020, unknown of the timeframe.  There is a strong possibility 2 KDs will be held in Douglas Ridge (Eagle Creek) 2020, May and August, the dates are being voted on by the club next week and we should know very soon after.

I have a goal to do one this year, and would rather come up there than go to enemy territory Portland.  Need to figure out a schedule if advance, if possible, due to other summer schedule commitments and possible trips.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:22:20 PM by GTEngineer »
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA

Pistoleer:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Offline TimOren

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 02:08:41 AM »
Looks like we may have a chance to hold one in the Boise area, based on new construction at a local range.  Already underway, but completion date unknown as yet.  **crosses fingers**  :snipersmi

Offline janer

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
Those proposed KDs are for Eatonville I believe, not Douglas Ridge?

Offline Border-Run

• Instructor In Training 2
  • how far is idaho??
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »

thanks for the info, but the problem is :
That's 322 miles each way (5 1/2 hours with no stops of driving). Gas, food, hotel (3 nights), time off from work for travel (2 day shoot = 4 days gone from work + 1 day to recover.) and I work weekends. so that means 40 hours of vacation used up. #)

with a CDA Idaho shoot = 2 day vacation + 1 hour drive and NO hotel + 2 days less fast food O0

and Eatonville is behind enemy lines. :( I have gave up on that side of the state. :wb: :sb: :wb:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:24:56 PM by Border-Run »

Offline GTEngineer

• Shoot Boss
  • A rifleman persists.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 02:59:44 PM »

Correct, Eatonville.  The club there is voting on hosting the 2 KD events and we should know in a week or two.  If Douglas Ridge is willing and we have instructor able to dedicate to it, I'm all for having a KD at Douglas Ridge as well.

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA

Pistoleer:

Offline GTEngineer

• Shoot Boss
  • A rifleman persists.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 03:00:32 PM »
Is there a KD capable range in ID that you know of?  I can put you in touch with the right people to see if we can staff it for a KD.

thanks for the info, but the problem is :
That's 322 miles each way (5 1/2 hours with no stops of driving). Gas, food, hotel (3 nights), time off from work for travel (2 day shoot = 4 days gone from work + 1 day to recover.) and I work weekends. so that means 40 hours of vacation used up. #)

with a CDA Idaho shoot = 2 day vacation + 1 hour drive and NO hotel + 2 days less fast food O0

and Eatonville is behind enemy lines. :( I have gave up on that side of the state. :wb: :sb: :wb:

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA

Pistoleer:

Offline maxwell

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »
Is there a KD capable range in ID that you know of?  I can put you in touch with the right people to see if we can staff it for a KD.

I've never been there, but isn't the Idaho KD usually at Fernan in CdA? I think the last 1-2 have been cancelled due to low preregistration numbers.

Offline GTEngineer

• Shoot Boss
  • A rifleman persists.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 03:35:36 PM »
There was a KD in 2018 and 2016 in Coeur D'Alene, but I don't know where the range is exactly.  Prescott and P7 are the local boots on the ground in that region, perhaps they can provide insight into the possibility of a KD there again?  As with all events, if the registration numbers don't support it, the events get moved to where there is higher interest/attendance.  This is especially unfortunate with KD where there are few ranges with the necessary distance needed to run a KD event.

I've never been there, but isn't the Idaho KD usually at Fernan in CdA? I think the last 1-2 have been cancelled due to low preregistration numbers.

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA

Pistoleer:

Offline maxwell

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 04:43:24 PM »
Here's the post I was thinking of on CdA KD. Sounds like it's still a possibility.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=56404.0

Offline TimOren

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 02:39:54 AM »

Like I said upthread, hold the phone.  There may be one becoming available in the Treasure Valley this summer, but we don't know the schedule for completion of the necessary construction as yet.  (And the excavation work is being done by volunteers, so there may not be a hard & fast schedule.)

Prescott and I can run a KD between us, no problem, and we are both local.

Offline GTEngineer

• Shoot Boss
  • A rifleman persists.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 01:28:37 PM »
Will do, thanks!

snip

Like I said upthread, hold the phone.  There may be one becoming available in the Treasure Valley this summer, but we don't know the schedule for completion of the necessary construction as yet.  (And the excavation work is being done by volunteers, so there may not be a hard & fast schedule.)

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA

Pistoleer:

Offline TimOren

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 01:44:30 AM »

OK, off hold.  I was out there today and excavation is complete and the rebuild firing line is now active.  We're talking about Black's Creek Range, owned by Idaho Fish & Game, just south-east of Boise.  The specific firing line is a full scale silhouette range.  I confirmed with a rangefinder that it is metric, so the target berms are going to be at 200, 300, 385 and 500 meters.  That's not quite what we need for a KD, but it looks like the firing line could be safely moved forward 100 meters, so then we'd have 100, 200, 285 and 400 meters (110, 220, 313, and 440 yards) which is not quite regulation, but should be close enough for government work.

Prescott and I will pursue this.

Offline GTEngineer

• Shoot Boss
  • A rifleman persists.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 11:13:10 AM »
Sounds good, I'm sure we can adjust to the differences.  CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park in Alabama uses a electronic target scoring system at different distances than our regulation and circular NRA regulation targets, there's a lot of KD events held there all the time using those targets.  I'm sure we can adapt our scoring to make it work.  Let me know if I can help on the insurance side.

OK, off hold.  I was out there today and excavation is complete and the rebuild firing line is now active.  We're talking about Black's Creek Range, owned by Idaho Fish & Game, just south-east of Boise.  The specific firing line is a full scale silhouette range.  I confirmed with a rangefinder that it is metric, so the target berms are going to be at 200, 300, 385 and 500 meters.  That's not quite what we need for a KD, but it looks like the firing line could be safely moved forward 100 meters, so then we'd have 100, 200, 285 and 400 meters (110, 220, 313, and 440 yards) which is not quite regulation, but should be close enough for government work.

Prescott and I will pursue this.

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA

Pistoleer: