News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Virginia "Lobby Day" Appleseeder info

Started by The Wolfhound, January 06, 2020, 11:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wolfhound

I will keep this page updated daily until the event. We are now 2 weeks out.  Weather guess is now showing up.  Monday the 20th looks like a high in the mid 50s with possible rain.
I will, closer to the event, post a meet up location for the Capitol grounds and likely a gathering location for an after action meet up.
I will post the applicable carry information (I Am Not A Lawyer) based on my understanding to keep all of our activists (BLESS YOU ONE AND ALL!!!!!) on the right side of the legal structure.
It is my goal to keep this as THE page to look for information regarding the Lobby Day event.
First, Lobby Day is an opportunity for the citizens to talk with their elected legislature about issues.  Being on the Martin Luther King federal and state holiday, it is easier to get people to the Capitol in Richmond.  While this may appear as a protest, it is intended as an opportunity to persuade and inform.  Women and children are among our best ambassadors for this and children can learn much from the legislative process.  There will be other people actively protesting.  There will be other groups lobbying for their issues that may or may not be our issues.  Not everyone is there for the same issues.  Historically VCDL (the Virginia Citizen's Defense League) has lobbied the "pro-gun" cause in the morning and the anti-gun crowd makes their (from their fully funded and catered free buses) appearance in the after noon.  VCDL and itsLobby Day is the type of civic activism that Appleseed preaches: Communicate with your elected officials and let them know how you feel on the issue.  While the members may have varied viewpoints on other things, they are willing to act together on gun issues.  It is devoted exclusively to firearm rights issues in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  VCDL will be providing their well recognized orange "GUNS SAVE LIVES" stickers for you to wear.  an absolute sea of orange stickers will be a wonderful sight.
January 20th is an active day for the legislature.  There will be committee meetings and votes on some issues.  The legislators are busy.
Firearm carry info:Virginia is an open carry state, no permit is required to openly carry a firearm.
Virginia recognizes all other state's concealed carry permits. 
Certain cities and counties in Virginia have limitations on magazine size of carried firearms.  Richmond, where the Capitol is, is one such.  The limit is a capacity of more than 20 rounds is "not allowed".  A "Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit" preempts this restriction.  For out of state folks, leave the larger capacity magazines at home for your own legal safety.
The Virginia Governor some years ago (petty tyrant that he was) made carry of firearms into state run buildings INCLUDING REST AREA BUILDINGS illegal by executive order. (Virginia being an ABC state, this also included liquor stores.) Do not enter state buildings carrying.
The General Assembly controls their own building. Currently, carry is allowed with a "Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit" in this building.  This could well change before Lobby Day.  Everyone who enters their building will pass through security and be wanded.  Anyone carrying will have to provide proper picture ID and Permit.  (Personal side note: It is quite entertaining to pass through security and identify the beeps "Gun" "Magazine", "Other gun" and be waved through while briefcases and backpacks are thoroughly searched >:D ;D).  Last year with a turnout of about 2000 people lobbying their issues (maybe 6-700 were VCDL) it took over an hour to get through security and into the building at the peak.  The security detail (Virginia Capitol Police) has historically been pleasant and professional but will be under additional stress due to numbers.  Do not add to their stress.
The Process:
Lobby Day has a process: Gather, Assemble, Enter, Lobby, Exit, Rally.
Gather: Come to the Virginia Capitol.
Assemble: Join a group to visit legislators in their offices.  It need not include YOUR legislators.
Enter: Pass through security.
Lobby: Present to the legislator or their staff (the Aide is preferred) a copy of VCDL's agenda.  The printed agenda lists all submitted bills that can or do relate to firearms and firearms rights for the current session, gives a synopsis of what the bill will do or not do, and VCDL's stance on the bill (Strongly in Favor, In Favor, Neutral, Opposed, Strongly Opposed), all in a single easy to use document. This document is usually available online a day or two ahead of time for your opportunity to read and interpret.
Exit: Once lobbying duties have been completed, hopefully including a side trip to YOUR legislators' offices, make your way out of the building (good news here: there numerous exits as opposed to the one entrance).
Rally: Unlike previous years we are granted permission to rally on the Capitol steps this year.  The official VCDL rally begins at 11AM and ends at noon.  The speaker list is worth hearing.

Between "Exit" and "Rally" (depending on how early your group enters the building) this could be over an hour, hang out on the Capitol grounds and enjoy the fellowship of "Gun People" until time to assemble at the steps.  I will try to select an "Appleseed" location to meet and greet and will publicize this ahead of time.
Be polite. Be friendly. Do not give provocation but stand firm. There will be provocateurs. Remember "the Press" is no friend to gun rights; anything they hear will likely be twisted.

A practical consideration:
RESTROOMS!
If you pass security and enter the building there are numerous restrooms on each floor.  There are no restrooms on Capitol grounds readily accessible to the public.  Other state buildings are likely closed for the holiday.  Plan accordingly. This event blocks out at least 4 hours from "Gather" to the end of "Rally".

The Wolfhound

I consider this to be a call to ACTION, not a call to arms.  Within certain legal limits you may come armed or not at your discretion.  I guaranty there will be pictures and video of the six "scary" guys with AKs and battle armor, outside the building, in the paper and on the news.  The likely thousands of motivated citizens who actually enter the building and peaceably lobby the legislature for their rights will cease to be the story.  There is always a risk to the mission when you spend time "feeding the trolls".  This may be a "September 1, 1774 Cambridge Powder raid" moment, it is certainly not an "April 19, 1775 Lexington or Concord" moment.  Numbers, not arms are required for now.

Josey Wales

Quote from: The Wolfhound on January 06, 2020, 11:26:48 AM
I consider this to be a call to ACTION, not a call to arms.  Within certain legal limits you may come armed or not at your discretion.  I guaranty there will be pictures and video of the six "scary" guys with AKs and battle armor, outside the building, in the paper and on the news.  The likely thousands of motivated citizens who actually enter the building and peaceably lobby the legislature for their rights will cease to be the story.  There is always a risk to the mission when you spend time "feeding the trolls".  This may be a "September 1, 1774 Cambridge Powder raid" moment, it is certainly not an "April 19, 1775 Lexington or Concord" moment.  Numbers, not arms are required for now.

Well said Wolfhound..
To all those that thought it would not happen to them, well here it is upon your front door. Never ever forget that the dragon of tyranny is never satisfied, his hunger for oppression and thirst for oligarchy is never content. Only the slayer of dragons can beat back the evil beast from time to time so that freemen can catch their breath and regroup for thy next battle..
Myself being from NYC am no stranger to this hell we live. That is why I am in the cause. We have been plagued with gun bills & laws from Maryland to Massachusetts with ever State in between falling victim to more oppression by the elected officials whom are the likes of a den of vipers..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

The Wolfhound

Weatherguessers now propose rain and snow showers for the day.

This too, shall change....

BeSwift

For those coming in from out of state, can you suggest place to park. I was thinking get there ultra early (before 6AM) and trying to park in a garage downtown or park further out and then "Uber" into town..
Any ideas for locations are appreciated...
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

BillP_556

Respectfully,

BillP_556

BD

Everyone attending and talking to legislators, keep in mind this very essential point.
The sanctuary jurisdictions are not the ones "refusing to uphold the law".
If the legislature insists on following this path, they are the ones violating the law.
The Virginia and Federal Constitutions are very clear on protecting the natural human right to bear arms
They were written by the same people.

The Virginia version:
Article I. Bill of Rights
Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

If they chose to ignore this part of the constitution, then why should we still be following Article IV, which creates the General Assembly?  If they won't follow the constitution, doesn't their authority to exist and to govern vanish right along with the bill of rights?

God save the Republic.
Up the Republic

BeSwift

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

The Wolfhound

NO Firearms in the  Capitol building or General Assembly building.
The legislature has sent new rules from their "Rules Committee".  No exceptions except law enforcement.  They even banned it for themselves.

Updated with corrected information.  The grounds are covered under existing Virginia Code that will require the complete legislative process to change.

CokeGuy

Does "Capitol Grounds" mean in the buildings, or anywhere near the capitol?

Orion59

Good friend of mine is a VA state trooper. He told me to stay away from Richmond on the 20th as they are expecting trouble on both sides. Not sure if anyone has been following some of the FB 2A pages lately. All of them are on fire with this rally. Lots of loose cannons. I'll be watching this one from the couch.
We can have no '50-50' allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.

Theodore Roosevelt

Morpheus

I have to ask, " What is the point?"
The 2A was gutted generations ago, and only now we are getting riled up? The "rules" that we have been living under for 80+years which restrict our ability to possess any arms that we choose have always have been, as they are now, unconstitutional. I have just read where someone in VA has somehow declared that there will be no firearms allowed on the Capital grounds during the upcoming gathering; another usurpation of our natural rights- another unconstitutional "rule ". If you are going to be there, are you going to follow along with this most recent declaration? If so, what are you marching for, or gathering for, or trying to make a statement about?  How will our rights ever be acknowledged by those who wish to rule over us if we consistently choose to obey the next step (even when it seems so small or insignificant) in the continual slide to absolute tyranny? What is on the VA State Seal? Does that mean anything anymore? What would our Founders do?
I plan to be in Richmond with my family on Jan. 20. We will be wearing Appleseed gear. We will be armed, we will not disarm. If that means that we cannot peaceably assemble with the sheep who choose to just follow the rules, so be it- we will move on, we have more important things to do than to simply consent to further the erosion of our "rights". Make no mistake about it, choosing to follow the unconstitutional rules is consent, and our Founders would have had nothing to do with that.
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

The Wolfhound

The primary purpose of the gathering on January 20 at the Virginia Capitol is to "LOBBY".  We get in front of the legislators and their aides and pass on information and our wishes.  We let them know how we wish them, our employees, to vote on our behalf.  We go in groups.  We fill their building.  If we get the message out, we will fill the capitol square.  Our message will be heard.  If they choose to ignore us the consequences fall to them.  We failed at the ballot box.  This is using the "soapbox".  Tyranny has its own rewards as exemplified in our state seal. We owe posterity the peaceful attempt.
This has been adopted as more than was originally planned.  It was not meant to be the protest it is becoming but maybe, that is what is needed.

I fully agree, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is clear and unmistakable language and has been illegally corrupted by the courts and politicians for over 100 years.

FiremanBob

Having always made Lobby Day while living in VA, I'm sorry not to be there this time. Of course, with an anti-2A majority in my own state, I have plenty of lobbying to do here.

Here's something I wrote in response to a righteously outraged member of my local firearms forum. I think it would be useful for those who are coming to Richmond from out of state and do not understand the tradition of VCDL's Lobby Day:

QuoteLobby Day is for citizens to speak with their representatives about the specific points - pro and con - of the bills that are introduced in this session. Anyone going from out of state needs to realize that the reason VCDL is so effective is that its members maintain their civility and professionalism throughout. There are no protests in the building, and everyone is as friendly and businesslike as can be. This sets us apart from the gun-haters, who do chant inside the building and disrupt the place. We're even polite to the antis and will hold the door open for the Moms and other bints. This is a very important thing for folks on our side to remember and abide by.

It is important, I think, to re-emphasize that Lobby Day is for polite, businesslike meetings which address the facts and principles of the pending legislation. Our credibility is based on the fact that we are more polite, more knowledgeable, more fact-and-logic based, and demonstrably better citizens, than the opposition. IT IS NOT A PROTEST. If you think you are going to make noise and DEMAND MUH CONSTITOOSHUN during the in-building part of the day, please stay outside.

Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Guntuckian

Quote from: Orion59 on January 11, 2020, 11:34:35 PM
Good friend of mine is a VA state trooper. He told me to stay away from Richmond on the 20th as they are expecting trouble on both sides. Not sure if anyone has been following some of the FB 2A pages lately. All of them are on fire with this rally. Lots of loose cannons. I'll be watching this one from the couch.

Ditto from my readings and family sources, and even from my recent trip through Richmond, and from my recent week spent in Alexandria, VA, and in and around the Washington, D.C. area.

And, also along these lines, Matt Bracken has even penned a serious caveat that should at least be read if you are going to Richmond.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2020/01/richmond-the-mother-of-all-buffalo-jumps/

This 2020 Lobby Day has an extreme potential to put Appleseed in an extremely bad light, nationally, along the same lines as Charlottesville on steroids x10.  I hope it doesn't come to that, but all signs point to a concerted effort to paint all attendees on the 20th as dangerous anti-government extremists by the present Virginia government.  It is very likely that the Appleseed Flag will appear in the media pictured next to the Gadsden Flag, the Stars and Bars, the Nazi Swastika, the Antifa Flag, and even camo-clad AK47 and AR-15 rifle carriers.  This is not an image that will help The Mission.  I urge extreme caution.

â€"gb

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

The Wolfhound

One week out and the forecast is now partly cloudy and chilly.  Low of 24 and a high of 41. Still subject to change but likely closer to what to expect.

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: Morpheus on January 12, 2020, 01:27:21 PM
I have to ask, " What is the point?"
The 2A was gutted generations ago, and only now we are getting riled up? The "rules" that we have been living under for 80+years which restrict our ability to possess any arms that we choose have always have been, as they are now, unconstitutional. I have just read where someone in VA has somehow declared that there will be no firearms allowed on the Capital grounds during the upcoming gathering; another usurpation of our natural rights- another unconstitutional "rule ". If you are going to be there, are you going to follow along with this most recent declaration? If so, what are you marching for, or gathering for, or trying to make a statement about?  How will our rights ever be acknowledged by those who wish to rule over us if we consistently choose to obey the next step (even when it seems so small or insignificant) in the continual slide to absolute tyranny? What is on the VA State Seal? Does that mean anything anymore? What would our Founders do?
I plan to be in Richmond with my family on Jan. 20. We will be wearing Appleseed gear. We will be armed, we will not disarm. If that means that we cannot peaceably assemble with the sheep who choose to just follow the rules, so be it- we will move on, we have more important things to do than to simply consent to further the erosion of our "rights". Make no mistake about it, choosing to follow the unconstitutional rules is consent, and our Founders would have had nothing to do with that.

Every weekend in our program, we exhort people to get involved, engage public officials, spread the message of Liberty.  So, that's what I'll be doing in Richmond. 

The focus on the weekend should be Virginia, and Appleseed can help Virginians.  I'll have a stack of trifolds in my hand.  Every person in the crowd might already know how to shoot (or think they do), but each of them knows someone afflicted by ignorance, apathy, and laziness.  I'm going to hand out trifolds and ask people to bring a friend to Appleseed so we can help wake up their fellow Virginians.  There will be plenty of trifolds on hand for anyone who wants to join us.  I understand there may be some history told as well.

I'll stand with Virginians (whether they are armed or not) and encourage them as they get involved and engage their public officials. 

See you in Richmond.

-MO

P.S.  The news reports I've read say the rules committee have banned firearms inside the capitol building.  The ban does not impact the carrying of firearms on the grounds of the Capitol.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Thaddeus

Communications!

Comms are critical to coordinating events.

Recommend that everyone who is participating in the Richmond Lobby Day install the app 'Signal' on their cell phones and then request to join a group I created called Appleseed Lobby Day. I'll only allow folks to join who are involved with Project Appleseed. We can securely group text updates about parking, events, and other important information.

For Signal go to your iPhone or Android app store, or check it out on the web at https://www.signal.org.

Signal is just another tool in our toolbox that we need to know.

// Thaddeus

AH1Tom

Maybe I'm the only one, but I installed the app and cannot figure out how to request to join a group.

Tennessee Beast

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

BrotherPilot

Jay
VA State Coordinator
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."  ―Samuel Adams

Thaddeus

Several questions on 'Signal'. Go ahead and install it, then send me a PM with your name and phone number. I'll add you to the Lobby Day group. Already quite a few on the list. It's a quick way to securely send a text message to a group of folks, and you can also send pictures and videos to the group.

I recommend it for daily use as a texting tool. The information is encrypted.

The Wolfhound

Weather forecast for Monday is now: Sunny with a high of 39 and a low of 21 winds at 8mph.  Around here we call this cold.  Your mileage may vary.

Ghostring

PREEMPTIVE STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED!

Be careful. Be safe. Don't bring ANY firearms on Capital grounds, period.

https://wcyb.com/news/local/virginia-gov-northam-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-pro-gun-rally

QuoteRICHMOND, Va. â€" Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) declared a State of Emergency ahead of Monday's planned pro-gun rally on Capitol Square.

According to Northam's statement, "Law enforcement intelligence analysts have identified credible threats of violence surrounding the event, along with white nationalist rhetoric and plans by out-of-state militia groups to attend."

All weapons, including guns, will be prohibited from the Capitol grounds. The declaration will be in effect from Friday, January 17 at 5 p.m. until Tuesday, January 21 at 5 p.m.

Full text (PDF version) of Executive Order 49 is here: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/executive-actions/EO-49-Declaration-of-a-State-Of-Emergency-Due-to-Potential-Civil-Unrest-at-the-Virginia-State-Capitol.pdf
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Monkey

Quote from: Ghostring on January 15, 2020, 05:40:53 PM
PREEMPTIVE STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED!

Be careful. Be safe. Don't bring ANY firearms on Capital grounds, period.

https://wcyb.com/news/local/virginia-gov-northam-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-pro-gun-rally

QuoteRICHMOND, Va. â€" Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) declared a State of Emergency ahead of Monday's planned pro-gun rally on Capitol Square.

According to Northam's statement, "Law enforcement intelligence analysts have identified credible threats of violence surrounding the event, along with white nationalist rhetoric and plans by out-of-state militia groups to attend."

All weapons, including guns, will be prohibited from the Capitol grounds. The declaration will be in effect from Friday, January 17 at 5 p.m. until Tuesday, January 21 at 5 p.m.

Full text (PDF version) of Executive Order 49 is here: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/executive-actions/EO-49-Declaration-of-a-State-Of-Emergency-Due-to-Potential-Civil-Unrest-at-the-Virginia-State-Capitol.pdf

Tracking - thanks.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

The Wolfhound

Google earth pic of the grounds and surrounding area. Noted on pic are the ONLY entry to the grounds, the steps where the 11AM Rally will be and a fountain that could be a good place to find other Appleseeders.

Added a plan view with the following key:
A- the only entrance to the grounds.
B- The steps where the rally will be.
C- the fountain
D the entrance to the General Assembly (Pocahontas Building) for those lobbying.

BrotherPilot

For those driving in:
VCDL mentioned they have arranged parking at Diamond and have shuttle buses running.  From the most recent VCDL newsletter:

Satellite parking is available at The Diamond, 3001 N. Arthur Ashe Blvd.
VCDL-provided shuttle buses will run from 7 AM to 3 PM between The Diamond and Capitol Square. Most parking immediately around Capitol Square will be reserved for coach buses, and intermittent street closures will be used for pedestrian safety. Shuttle bus and parking are free. If you want to make a donation to help cover the cost, do so at vcdl.org/Donate and annotate the purpose.
Jay
VA State Coordinator
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."  ―Samuel Adams

The Wolfhound

Latest forecast largely unchanged:
Low of 15 clear and dry with a high of 39.  Dress for cold.  The wind whips down the urban canyons of Richmond to whistle across the Capitol grounds.

The Wolfhound

Everyone be safe! Situational awareness is your buzzword.

TaosGlock

May the light of Lady Liberty shine on your souls and protect you.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose