News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2020 NRA Whittington Center Project Appleseed Dates

Started by TaosGlock, October 03, 2019, 05:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

Here are the dates for our regular 2 day Project Appleseed:
April 18-19  Coors Range
July 25-26 Cooper Range

Here are the KD/UKD Dates for 2020, hot off the press:
Find it, range it,  shoot it and record it on you personal DOPE card.
See post in the NM Planning Forum for more specifics...

May 9-10
Aug. 22-23

KD: Oct. 3-4

All at the Coors Range!

...more of everything will be added later!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Tennessee Beast

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

scuzzy

Please always send me a PM when you have dates to schedule. When I'm on the forum I'm usually checking or responding to PMs. I've missed scheduling events when a PM isn't sent.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Randy Watson

Does anyone know when registration is available? Will there be a block of rooms/cabins available to book?

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: jeromeljackson on November 24, 2019, 10:34:21 PM
Does anyone know when registration is available? Will there be a block of rooms/cabins available to book?

Last I heard, Dan is still finalizing dates. One of the UKD days might be changed to a KD, also. That's why they aren't posted for sign-up yet. Patience, my friend!  I'm sure we'll hear something soon
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

TaosGlock

It's official, we are on the schedule. :---
Instructors please see this thread for more details:

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=56965.0
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

Tennessee Beast

How do we know whether the event is a KD or a UKD event? 
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"

scuzzy

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on December 10, 2019, 04:00:02 PM
How do we know whether the event is a KD or a UKD event?

Raton, NM Appleseed May 9-10, 2020 - Unknown Distance - Coors Range
Raton, NM Appleseed July 25-26, 2020 - Cooper Range
Raton, NM Appleseed August 22-23, 2020 - Unknown Distance - Coors Range
Raton, NM Known Distance Appleseed October 3-4, 2020

I'm waiting on word about other event types such as rimfire KD and such before adding new categories so I don't have to do the same work several times over. Since we really don't have other UKDs it's not a big issue right now. Not sure we even have ranges available in most locations to do such.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Tennessee Beast

John Lancaster Spalding

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

TaosGlock

For a bit more clarity:
UKD: May 9-10
UKD: Aug. 22-23
KD: Oct. 3-4

ALL of our KD/UKD events are held at the COORS RANGE!
PLEASE NOTE: These are the dates for our regular 2 day Project Appleseed ONLY:
April 18-19  Coors Range
July 25-26 Cooper Range

The rooms in town that other Appleseeders use include:
Casa Lemus, Raton Motor Lodge, Microtel Inn and Suites, Super 8, Quality Inn, Travelodge, Raton Pass Inn and Rodeway Inn.
These rooms all average 65-70 FRN's a nite.  A few take pets too.

Many will give a 10% discount if you say you are shooting at WC.  Remember, Raton exists by virtue of the WC.

Staying on the WC is the ultimate experience in itself with all the game running around. The sounds of elk bugling, coyotes howling and turkeys gobbling is commonplace.
If we work it out right we can all book a cabin with 4 rooms (3+1 handicap).  I often do that, but I need to know within 48 hours if someone can't make it as that is the cancel deadline to not get charged.  Each room has a double bed and a single. The handicap room has 1 double and 2 single beds.  If you come with a group of other friends, you can rent a log cabin cheapest. There is a full on RV park/campground with full hookups and shower, laundry, etc. or you can use the primitive campground-even cheaper and drive the 5 minutes to the shower at the RV park/campground.

More here:  http://www.nrawc.org/wc-experience/lodging-cabins-camping/

1.) UKD Class is at the Coors Range.
NOTE: This is a field shooting class, no timed AQT's or patches.
That is the KD Class listed below.

AAR here: https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=56789.0

Find it, range it, shoot it from 300-1125 yards and record it on in your data book.

We usually never shoot more than 300 rounds.
223 class and 308/6.5 class continue to dominate our classes.
Bolt or semi auto works fine.

At the White Buffalo, no 223 ANYTHING or magnum class cartridges allowed on the range as the steel is not AR-500.

I loan out my Remy 5R in 308, Garand or M1A in case folks bring 223 stuff but still want to whack the Buffalo.
Traveling shooters often only bring one rifle.

Scope: any scope with a reticle that is mil based or moa based hash marks works best. 
There is a reason this style dominates the long range shooting world.   Zero stops are really nice too.
Otherwise we do a baseline zero exercise to see where your scope bottoms out in case you get lost dialing up and down.

The standard mildot reticle works well even if it has moa based knobs. You range in mils and crank elevation/windage in moa.
Duplex reticles are pretty clunky, slow to measure things and less precise to use but in the early days that is what folks had.  The manufacturer often gives you the subtension between center crosshair and the duplex at the various powers for second focal place scopes.
My duplexes all have a subtension card I made many moons ago.
BDC reticles usually only work around a range of specified loads unless you know the subtension between the hash marks.  We can show you how to measure the subtensions. The circle BDC's are a bit less precise and are usually more difficult to use.

Again, MOA/MIL hash marks are the best, with Mil dot next best and zero stops rule.

If you are building a rifle as we speak, do it right and go with good glass/reticle system the first time.

The course has been successfully run with service rifles/open sights but is more difficult due to some of the smaller and well cammoed hidden targets.

Before arriving, you can make up a generic DOPE card online for your bullet and load and then you can 'truth test' it here.

You will need binoculars. 10x50 is about right but other powers will work.  A rangefinder is nice but not necessary.
Slung up prone or bipod/shooting pack is fine for this class.

2.) KD Class. Coors Range. October 3-4.
We DO NOT teach Range Estimation or Target Detection in this class.
That is the UKD Class listed above.

Full Distance/Full size AQT(s) posted at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yard's:

This timed event utilizes our standard positional shooting methods similar to the 25 yard AQT.
300 rounds minimum, Is best run with mag fed rifles, service type rifles, etc. Iron sights or scopes are all ok.
Bolt actions work fine. Most any centerfire will work if you will!

Thanks to Mrs. Smith :1luvu, we have some very special nifty KD patches to award!

Please have your rifles sighted in before showing up for the class.

TaosGlock

As far as rooms go, book early.

Instructors: Get with a fellow Appleseeder to share a room.
We want to keep expenses down.  O0

Last minute bookings usually result in one person in expensive rooms...even in town! :tsk:

More here:  http://www.nrawc.org/wc-experience/lodging-cabins-camping/

Other than that, this is gonna be a great season for Project Appleseed! :~ :~ :~

Don'tFix1776

Me and my brother-in-law will attend the UKD in August and are looking to get into one of the cabins that have the private bedroom and bath, then share the living and kitchen as common areas â€" I think they are called Founders Cabins at Whittington. Should I book us in a room come February 1rst, or is the block thing a reality we can get in on?
Marshall
Rifleman: Alice, TX Shoot 2018
KD Rifleman: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2020
Morgan's Shingle: New Braunfels, TX Shoot 2023

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 KJV

TaosGlock

Quote from: Don'tFix1776 on December 29, 2019, 07:59:01 PM
Me and my brother-in-law will attend the UKD in August and are looking to get into one of the cabins that have the private bedroom and bath, then share the living and kitchen as common areas â€" I think they are called Founders Cabins at Whittington. Should I book us in a room come February 1rst, or is the block thing a reality we can get in on?
Marshall
When Feb. 1 comes just simply book your room then. No block rooms.
See you in August!