News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Blue Ridge, GA AAR - Nov. 2-3, 2019

Started by Leadslinger66, November 04, 2019, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leadslinger66

The fog was thick and the temps were in the 30s when the cadre arrived to set up the target line. Despite the weather, ten brave patriots arrived for an awesome day of Appleseed! After everyone settled in, CokeGuy gave the official welcome speech, telling us all about Appleseed as well as what would take place over the weekend. Then we dived right into the history with the first strike.

Next up were the most important blocks of instruction - safety! By then the fog had lifted nicely, so it was off to the line to show those redcoats what we were about. We discovered there was room for improvement, so we were off and running with the marksmanship instruction. We covered sling use, then the three legs of the marksmanship tripod - the six steps, NPOA, and steady hold factors. After some dry fire, then some squares, we discovered that we had some good groups, so we moved right into talking targets and IMC.

Next up was a very important block - lunch! However, we enhanced that with a most excellent presentation of the second strike. Cleveland told it well, despite a couple of interruptions (the wind started carrying away the shooting line ground cover, then we had a deer run across the hill behind the target line).

After an exciting lunch break, we went right back to work. We shot some more squares, made some sight adjustments, then moved on to instructions for the sitting and standing stages, sprinkling in coverage of transitions as we went.

We took an afternoon break to hear WileyCoyote tell us the third strike. He left us with a hook. What might have happened to General Percy's ammunition wagons? We would find out on Sunday.

Then it was time for AQTs. We got one in on Saturday, which was enough to reveal a man among us who knew what he was about. Andrew posted up a commanding 236! Huzzah!

We closed out with the final redcoat, coming away with definite evidence of improvement. Two people cleared the target!

Saturday ended with the presentation of William Diamond patches to the youth shooters and a most excellent benediction by CokeGuy.

Sunday morning was still cold. This time, we had frost instead of fog. We were not deterred, however. All ten shooters returned. First order of business was to present Andrew with his orange hat. Welcome aboard Gator0246! Since it was Sunday, CokeGuy started off the morning with the fitting story of the black robed regiment. We can't shoot at this range until noon, so we used our morning wisely and completed a full review of the Saturday instruction. We got the shooters involved using TPI and even convinced some of them to volunteer as models. We broke up the instruction by talking about those dangerous old men of April 19, 1775. And we found out what happened to those wagons of ammunition. David Lamson and his alarm list crew and Mother Ruth Batherick took care of those grenadiers!

We set up the firing line once again, did a bit of dry fire and trigger exercises, then took a short lunch. CokeGuy regaled us with his modern day translation of the Declaration of Independence, then it was off to the line to shoot some sighters and check those zeroes! We fired a few sighters and even did a couple of NPOA drills, then it was off and running with AQTs. We got three in. No more new riflemen, but Andrew backed up that 236 from Saturday with a 229 - twice! Cleveland also requalified with a 229. Must have been the number of the day!
We completed our final redcoat with 2 cleared again - Huzzah! Then CokeGuy left us with some words of wisdom and encouraged all to seventh step.

Jason, Christina, and Alana, glad y'all came as a family. You persevered and improved. Paul, Nathan, and Lindy, thanks for coming as a family as well. You guys posted some good groups. Lindy, that smile on your face after shooting the AR was priceless. We know you're hooked! Paul and Angelina, you guys hung in there and worked hard all weekend. Matt, that last squares group was perfect. It was a pleasure to meet and work with each of you. Everyone keep practicing the steady hold factors, six steps, and NPOA. I know you can all qualify and we look forward to seeing you on the line again. Remember, a rifleman persists!

If you have photos, post them up. I have a few that I will post soon.

John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Leadslinger66

A few photos.
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Cleveland

Lindy trying out a center fire rifle. I bet we will see her at a KD in the near future.
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleerâ„¢ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Cleveland

What a wonderful group of shooters we had on the line this weekend. I hope to see you all at an event soon.

Liberty,
Cleveland
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleerâ„¢ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

2wheelDuke

I really want to work a Blue Ridge shoot.  My parents are not far from there at all.  But I had a 1-Day shoot at my home range in Hollywood.  One of these days I'll get up there and work an out of state shoot for a change. 

Overmountain

What a great weekend!  The improvements were spectacular and comradery even more so!
Rifleman: October 2017, March 2020, April 2020, March 2021, December 2021
Instructor Boot Camp: February 2020, February 2021, January 2022, March 2022
Known Distance Qualified: December 2021
Libertyseed: July 2020
Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: January 2021
Pistol Qualified: Rimfire and Centerfire January 2021
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: February 2022

Gator0246

I would like to say I enjoyed every minute of this event. I look forward to shooting and/or working with this group again in the near future.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams