News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

North Huntsville, AL AAR 2-3 Nov 19

Started by Mixed Metaphor, November 04, 2019, 08:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixed Metaphor

First and foremost, I want to thank the 8 shooters who attended our event at the MCSSA range in New Market, AL!  Without you, there would be no events.  I also want to extend my deepest appreciation to all of the shooters for the amazing clean up job!  The range looked MUCH better when we left than when I arrived Saturday morning.  A huge thank you to the instructors who all came together to make this event happen.
Our day started with an inspiring recount of the First Strike by EddieB.  After our preliminary safety instruction and line commands, we posted a Hits Count (Red Coat) target.  The groups looked pretty good, especially for the first string of the day.  After several classes on various topics like eye dominance, sling use and NPOA, we were ready to shoot some squares.  The shooters all did very well!  The shooters were zeroed.  Alas, it was lunch time.  Kpuc regaled us with a Second Strike.
After lunch, we shot a couple of more squares and learned everyone will lie to you, except your target.  We discussed what the targets say and learned their language.  That brought us to a great class on inches, minutes and click.  This is the class that will save headache, heartache and money!  During the afternoon instruction, we took a break for Mixed Metaphor to share the pride inspiring Third Strike.
We ended day 1 with another Hits Count (Red Coat) target.  The shooters all saw greatly improved groups from the first Hits Count (Red Coat) target.
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!
EddieB started us off on the right foot with awesome morning history.  We followed with a review of slings, prone and seated positions.  Next, we reviewed NPOA and Safety.  Our first target of the day was another square as sighters to verify zero.  We were on to the first AQT of the day and learning transitions and positions.  The shooters became coaches with the ball and dummy drill.  I saw some future instructors on the line!  The coaching was excellent!  The shooters learned a lot as coaches!  We finally took a break for lunch.  EddieB took the floor and discussed Known Distance.  This included the Rifleman's Quarter Mile, trajectory, the various zeros, range estimation and the three challenges of a Rifleman.  After lunch, we continued with AQTs.  We had two men among us who know very well what they are about!  Michael and Zack both qualified as Riflemen multiple times.  Zach scored a 210 on his first qualification and was "baptized by water from the North Bridge".  We ended with another Hits Count (Red Coat) target.  The shooters all saw outstanding improvement in their groups.
We had two shooters qualify as Riflemen this weekend!
Zach- 210, 224 and 224 Qualified
Michael- 226 and 216 Qualified  (I may have these scores off slightly.  I will amend, if needed.)
Again, thank you to all of the shooters and instructors!!
HUZZAH!
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama