News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Daniel Morgan's company question

Started by Trisha, October 29, 2019, 10:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trisha

I have a reporter asking me specifically about where we get the information on the numbers on how many men he recruited since he can't (and neither can I) find the information in the David Hackett Fischer book.

Where do we get the information we use at Appleseeds that tell us this?

colonial shooter

Trish,
One of the Colorado instructors sent me a note about this book: "Daniel Morgan: A Revolutionary Life" by Albert Zambone.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Catch-10-22

There is a new Daniel Morgan biography, "Daniel Morgan, A Revolutionary Life" by Albert Louis Zambone that is worth reading. We do a special segment on Morgan and Revolutionary War-era Rifleman at some MD shoots to spice things up.

Morgan's original "Beeline March" to Massachusetts in response to the news of Lexington and Concord was just a company of Virginia Rifleman (96 men). That was 484 miles in 21 days on foot and not one man left behind!

After he was paroled as a POW after the failed invasion of Quebec, he was assigned commander of The Provisional Rifle Corps by George Washington in June of 1777. This was the unit called "Morgan's Rifleman." and that is so famous at Freeman's Farm, Saratoga, and other battles of that period. He had about 451 men fit for duty in is Rifle Corps on September 12, 1777.

I won't get into his other exploits, such as his masterful command at Cowpens.

Trisha

It's definitely worth the read but I would really like to know where we originally got the information about Daniel Morgan that we use for the Redcoat Shingle story.

maxwell

Quote from: Trisha on October 29, 2019, 11:00:36 PM
It's definitely worth the read but I would really like to know where we originally got the information about Daniel Morgan that we use for the Redcoat Shingle story.

What number is this? I've never associated a number with Morgan's shingle, either because I haven't heard it that way, or I just forgot. I looked up Morgan in Fiske's book, and it's not particularly helpful.

ArmyVet

I found this early this morning. It mentions accounts in August 1775 of the 7 inch target at 250 yards in the 2nd paragraph. This document is footnoted, so it may be a good jumping off point. When I have more time I might be able to track some of those footnotes if this is still unresolved.
The difference between a novice and a master: the novice does it until they get it right. The master does it until they can't get it wrong.

Rocket Man

In this thread some years ago, I started talking about a primary source on Daniel Morgan.  This book describes the "shingle" he used in his own rifleman company, but it was different -- an effigy of General Gage at about 100 paces, but you get just one shot.   :shootself:  No alibis.

The Redcoat shingle simulating a 250 yard head shot is, if I recall correctly, consistent with Lowdon's Company practice.  I came across several references when researching Timothy Murphy (see also here:  Timothy Murphy sketch).

As Daniel Morgan eventually wound up in command of virtually all rifleman's companies, nearly all of the various showy standards would have been associated with him eventually.   :snipersmi
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

asminuteman

The original account of a "shingle" comes from the first hand account of school master John Harrower , an indentured servant, teaching on a Virginia farm who witnessed the event, and told the story , which was printed in the Virginia Gazette, in Williamsburg Va.

""He [the captain] to a board of a foot square and with chalk drew the shape of a moderate nose in the center and nailed it up to a tree at one hundred and fifty yards distance, and those who came nighest the mark with a single ball was to go [become a member of the company]. But by the first forty or fifty that fired, the nose was all blown out of the board, and by his company was up [had the full compliment of men] the board shared the same fate."
John Harrower, June 1st, 1775, an indentured servant serving as a teacher at a plantation school in VA. He describes the process for the selection of men for a rifle company from VA when too many men show up to volunteer.

And they turned folks away, because everyone was able to complete the feat!

Aide de Camp Morgans Rilfemen National

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

Leadslinger66

The book, "Daniel Morgan Revolutionary Rifleman" by Don Higginbotham says that Morgan accepted 96 recruits (pg 23).
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

asminuteman

That would be correct, for the Virginia legislator, under Governor Patrick Henry, in May of 1775 gave authorization for the formation of 8 additional company's of men (100 each) ,. one of which was the 11th (future Morgan's) and the Officers (commanding and officers) to lead those company's were named at the time , Colonel Daniel Morgan being named to lead the 11th

This to was printed in the Virginia Gazette, Williamsburg Va...... newpaper archives are available on line and stretch back to 1740
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine