News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Rainbow, CA October 19-20, 2019

Started by StormN, October 25, 2019, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StormN

This was the final shoot of the year at Rainbow and it was a good one by all accounts. We had 16 shooters on Saturday and 15 on Sunday. There was a mixture of very experienced to entirely new to rifle shooting. After the pledge, safety briefing and the morning Red Coat we got down to the business of instruction. We broke for lunch and delivered the Three Strikes which were well received, after lunch more instruction and one AQT. Sunday the pledge, safety instruction we got down to the business of instruction review. We finished up the instruction and got two AQT's in before lunch, the history of the Dangerous Old Men and Women was told at lunch along with a sobering reminder of what these patriots risked and lost. After lunch we got in four more AQT's and the Redcoat. Our repeat rifleman Stephen proved at his second Appleseed he knows very much what he is about by shooting rifleman 6 times with scores between 216-227, his 12yr old son Aiden shooting off sandbags with a rifle to big and heavy for him was our designated sniper and shot rifleman twice with a score of 218. Kimberly shot her rifleman score with a 212. Many other shooters were within one or two shots of the coveted 210. None of this would have been possible without the dedicated range owner Debby who is also an IIT, the great group of instructors and my wife Sheri and our friend Kim both Blue hats in the program who handle all of the admin duties as well as serving as ambassadors to the program to those people walking up to see what was going on at the range. I would not do this without them. Also announced was that our instructor Kurt has accepted the role of SBIT, many thanks to him for stepping up. Shoots for next year will be posted soon. I hope to see you all again soon, Norm

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

mnichols

Great weekend!
We had an awesome group if shooters, old and new. All were very receptive to instruction.
Got a little hot Sunday afternoon, but we powered through.

Congratulations to Kim, Aiden, and Stephen on their coveted Rifleman patches.

And congratulations to Kurt, you'll be a great Shoot Boss.

I'm honored to be part of the Rainbow Appleseed crew, and im looking forward to next year's events.

Mike
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."
- Patrick Henry, Speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1778

ErinsDad

I agree with both Norm and Mike, this was a great shoot.  Great group of people, some old faces and a lot of new, all very attentive and at the range united in the desire to improve marksmanship skills and learn a bit about history!  We even gained a new Shoot Boss (in training)!  Thanks Kurt for stepping up, looking forward to working with you as a shoot boss.  To the other instructors - Norm, Debby, Justin, Mike, and Brian, it's always a pleasure working with you.  Thanks Sheri and Kim for taking care of the front office!

Congratulations to all the new rifleman (and riflewoman)!  It's great to watch the improvement over the weekend as all the skills come together and the groups continue to shrink.

Tim, you are just about there, don't give up.  Your 205/206 shows you can do it.  It's just about putting it all together during one AQT.  Spend time before the next shoot practicing getting comfortable in the seated and prone positions.  I'll work with you until you chase me away.

Aiden, you are a superb shooter and I look forward to working with you more.  Next time we will spend time building the skills to move off the sandbags.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the next shoot.
Joe