News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Canton, GA - October 19-20 - AAR

Started by Roswell, October 23, 2019, 12:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roswell

Saturday brought with it beautiful weather... for staying indoors that is. The weatherman predicted a 1/2 inch of rain. Something about a "tropical storm" blah blah blah. However, we still had 19 shooters show up, many of which were return customers. Summer soldiers, these people were not.  :F

We began things as usual, an introduction and a safety briefing. After which, rifles were retrieved and the Redcoats got what they deserved.  :--- (Congratulations to Neal on clearing his target  :bow: )

Square targets were posted and the fire-hose of instruction was opened up. First we did Sling Use and the Prone Position followed by shooting a square. Next came the first 3 steps of firing the shot, then rolled into an Eye Dominance test, and then rolled into NPOA. Next we took some time to fit rifles to the shooters and after doing so had them check their NPOA before engaging on a square. Then we did a quick review of steps 1-3 followed by steps 4-6. After this we did a Trigger exercise so shooters got used to the reset. This was of course followed by a square. The rain hadn't let up all day so, we went inside for a respite.

The shooters took a well deserved long break and learned about Talking Targets, IMC (Inches, Minutes and Clicks) followed by the first 2 Strikes of the match. Having warmed up and dried off, it was time to get wet again.  ~~:)

Back to the line, the shooters learned all 4 of the seated positions and the tried each of them out on the red coat target. Then we learned about Rifleman's Cadence and implemented our knowledge by firing at the shingle. The rain had only worsened so, it was a perfect time to head back in and listen to how the story ended with the Third Strike of the Match. We decided to extend the break and go over Standing position indoors. Then we headed back out to give it a try on STAGE 1 OF THE AQT!  ;D

We made our way through the AQT with pauses to teach transitions. At the end, it was so wet that I had the shooters take pictures of their targets and email them to me for scoring.  **) Alas, there weren't any Riflemen, but MANY were knocking on the door and several would show themselves the next day. Lastly, we had the Benediction and I treated the students to the story of Timothy Murphy, The Second Battle of Saratoga and how one man can make a difference. We cleaned up and after an Instructor meeting, several of the shooters joined us more dinner at a local Mexican place.

Sunday, we had every single person return, believe it or not.  ^:)^  We opened things up with a brief overview of 1776 and listened to some words from Thomas Paine. Then we really started the day, kicking off with the Safety rules. Our morning redcoat showed we had made a lot of improvement and 2 shooters even cleared it! Some people were unable to get data the previous day due to the rain so, we did a sighter square and then moved on to an AQT shot from the bottom up (as our slings were already set up for prone).

We then moved inside to do a marathon review on Sling Use, Prone, NPOA, Rifleman's Cadence, Seated, Standing, Six Steps, Talking Targets and IMC. We had a brief break before learning about Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women and Gallant Children. Specifically, we heard about Mother Batherick & David Lamson, Samuel Whittemore, Hezekiah Wyman and Nancy Hart.

With bellies full it was time to return to the line. We got back to it with a Mag Change Exercise. Next was an AQT. Then we split into pairs for some Ball and Dummy. Then back to another AQT. After that it was time for a break. We headed inside and went over Rifleman's Bubble and Rifleman's Dance. We stayed inside for a discussion on Known Distance Shooting. Rested it was time for... you guessed it! An AQT! That closed out the day and many of the shooters stayed behind to help cleanup (thank you all!  :bow: ).

By the numbers...

19 Shooters
3 NEW Riflemen (Abbie 214 - even after her dad shot her target!, Jim 221 - always a pleasure to have you and it was awesome to see you patch, Michael 222 - who also repeated it)
5 Re-qualifications (Scott - With a bolt action!, Jaime - twice with 2 different rifles - an AR and a tube-fed .22, Neal - twice with an AR, Carol - twice - and was a good sport about a North Bridge baptism, TN Beast - times 3! with our top score of the day a 239)
A gaggle of amazing instructors
1 very tired Shoot Boss

Thank you to everyone for coming out and persevering through the weather. Congratulations to everyone that shot Rifleman. All of you can do it! Remember, a Rifleman persists! Do your perfect practice and it will happen. I hope to see all of you again down the trail.

In Liberty,
Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Tennessee Beast

I really enjoyed working with the students and instructors this past weekend.  It was nice to see familiar faces as well as meet new ones.  I took a few pictures.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Casus Belli

This was my second Appleseed and had an awesome experience this time, just like last time. I was planning to bring my step-son back for his second time, but he joined the Georgia National Guard and ended up having drill that weekend.

Even though that didn't work out, I invited my friend David and his 13 year old daughter, Abbie, to come and they were able to make it. David managed not to shoot himself or any of the instructors, but Abbie took to it like a duck to water. She listened, followed directions, and scored Rifleman on the last AQT of the class!  I think she's hooked, too-she's already talked us into taking her over the the CMP range at Talladega to stretch her legs out a little (like it took a lot of arm-twisting to get me to go shooting!).

Anyway, a good time was had by all. Thanks again for all the "hats" who gave up a weekend to help others find their way. Can't wait to come back in the spring!

The last two pictures were the only injuries of the weekendâ€"turns out just ejected brass is hot!!