News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Talladega, AL 19-20 October 2019, CMP Known Distance

Started by Maximum Ordinate, October 22, 2019, 11:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

It was a great Known Distance weekend at the CMP's Talladega Marksmanship Park in central Alabama.  Ten stalwart shooters came to hear some history and shoot at the finest Service Rifle range in the country.

We had some fun classroom time and spent a rainy Saturday shooting from the beautiful covered ranges.  After our traditional Rana's dinner Saturday night, Sunday cleared up.  This weekend was a special treat, as we got to spend a bit of time on the Unknown Distance range for our Target Detection and Range Estimation Exercises.  I think this range will provide some interesting opportunities for students to take their Three Challenges of a Rifleman and attempt the ultimate test of a Rifleman - UKD.

Congratulations to the new and requalifying KD Riflemen:

Michael - 40, 41, and 46 (high score of the day!)
Bob - 40, 41, 42, 44, and 45!
Clint - 40, 41, 42
Terry - 42

To all our shooters, thank you for spending your weekend with us.  I hope that you come back and bring a friend with you.

We are very grateful to our host, Joey and his team at TMP.

My special thanks and appreciation to Google and Cleveland.  You guys make being a shoot boss SO easy.  I'm proud to serve with y'all.

Rather than ramble on and on... here are some pictures from the weekend.

in Liberty,
MaxOrd

Checking out the UKD range on Friday afternoon, this is quite deceptive and goes out past 600 yards

Setting up the UKD range Saturday morning

Our traditional group photo with Mr. John Garand

Some classroom time

Safety briefing with Bill from CMP

Prep period

On the short range

The fog on the UKD range... obscuring most of the hidden targets

On the elevated platform, preparing to detect targets

Sunday at the big range

Reaching out to 300

Clint showing us how it's done

Don Rutherford (High Master, Double Distinguished, Camp Perry Vintage Sniper Winner, Honorary Alabama Appleseed Cadre member) teaching about negotiating Wind

Expert instructor "artwork"

All our New & Requalified KD Rifleman

KD Rifleman!

I think he might be a little happy!

Another KD Rifleman!  Woohoo!

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Google

A good weekend indeed.  Everyone was working hard, some new Rifleman scores, Richard mastered his new rifle, and the beautiful CMP range.  The new UKD range has opened up endless possibilities to put our skills to the test.  Can't wait to use it again, without the fog next time  ;D

Thanks to everyone that came out.  I hope to see you on the trail again soon!

Cleveland

Huzzah, what a great group of shooters. Hope to see you all on the line again soon.

Liberty,
Cleveland
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleerâ„¢ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Roswell

The UKD range looks awesome!

Congrats to the new and returning Riflemen! (Especially my students Bob and Clint!  ^:)^)
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Captain

Man o man, that is one beautiful looking range! I can't wait to get out there for an event and discover electronic targets. Nice job.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range