News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Grand Island, NE: Heartland Shooting Park Oct 5-6, 2019

Started by Captain, October 07, 2019, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

This past weekend saw a fantastic Appleseed Two-day Rifle Clinic held deep in the Heartland of America. Ten patriots came out to hear the story of April 19th and embrace their American heritage of marksmanship and as Riflemen. Now to prove this event was indeed in the "heartland", we were hosted by Bill Starkey and his awesome crew (Steve and Sue) at the Heartland Public Shooting Park in Grand Island Nebraska. The folks  in Grand Island have a premier shooting facility with everything you could imagine, rifle out to 600 yards, clays, archery, pistol bays, a fishing lake, an RV park . . . it would take pages to describe everything available.  If you're a shooter in Nebraska or just passing through you owe it to yourself to check out Heartland (www.giparks.com). Bill personally drove his loader out in the wind and rain late on Friday to help make bay 6 the perfect spot for our weekend festivities and then checked on us every couple of hours throughout the weekend to see if we needed anything! I can't thank you enough for helping to make this event a success.

The weekend forecast was originally pretty horrible, but each day we beat the odds. Some strong winds threatened to carry away shooting mats and rifles, but the shooters managed to get everything anchored down and we enjoyed the added benefit of no bugs. The temperatures stayed comfortable and the forecast rain was never more than heavy mist.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Captain

We had a very experienced group show up - only two first time Appleseeders. In addition to Thirig, a new orange hat of two weeks, we had Matt and "Big Mike", a previous shoot boss/state coordinator and a previous Applecore member, out to shoot the event! Matt said it had been a few years since he had been out to an Appleseed, but he seemed to enjoy the more relaxed pace of just being a shooter on the line while someone else hauled supplies and did paperwork. He wandered between shooting his 22LR and .223, switching out bolts as the mood struck him. We wondered why "Big Mike" chose to shoot in the sitting position all day until we found out he was supposed to be getting shoulder surgery. He winced with pain every time he stood up but still he persisted the entire day of shooting! "Big Mike" also brought "Little Mike"; "little" only in the sense that he is the son of "Big Mike". "Little Mike" was busy shrinking his group size down on 22LR and his AR in 223. I'm sure he will push over the 210 threshold soon! Even though "Big Mike" didn't shoot on Sunday, he came out to "be there" and support "Little Mike".

Captain

Our single younger shooter, Hunter, had his whole family out to support him. Mom, siblings and grandparents stayed and joined our group for the telling of history. They were with us for the entire weekend! What dedication! We even coerced a family member to join us on the firing line. Ben is a "shot gunner" but quickly picked up on the differences running a rifle and shrunk his groups down to a nice size. Hunter was a force on the firing line all weekend. He acquitted himself quite finely and improved throughout the weekend as his family looked on. I'm not sure the other shooters even realized we had a junior shooter on the line until he received his "Young Patriot" patch on Sunday. Nebraska "farm boys" grow up fast and know what it means to work. He had no luck however, hiding his smile when he took his turn on NE Bull's M1 Garand on Sunday. His groups were certainly better than at least one instructor's (but I will be practicing Hunter!)  Rumor has it that there may be some more shooters from this clan at the next Nebraska Appleseed.

Captain

Our two intrepid instructors spent the morning playing tag team teaching the fundamentals of marksmanship until lunch time. Okay, maybe not intrepid, but they did talk a lot. NE Bull then took center stage and told us all a story of why a group of "Englishmen" finally had to face the fact that their King and Parliament no longer had their best interest at heart. Men and women who realized they must step up or face a future where their children "and generations yet unborn" would live under tyranny. He continued with the story of the first strike, which would lead to eight years of bloodshed and struggle to earn that freedom. Captain told the second and third strikes and our shooters found out how marksmanship changed the course of history and started the only rebellion which resulted in freedom for a people instead of still greater tyranny. Everyone was humbled and awestruck at the choices and sacrifices our founders made for our liberties.

After embracing our history, the shooters embraced the uniquely American heritage of marksmanship. Our first AQT on Saturday saw Dave step up as our first Rifleman to requalify on a new rifle. He was our first Rifleman but he wouldn't be our last!

Captain

Timothy showed up on Saturday with his AK. Now everyone "knows" the AK isn't really a rifle for precision shooting . . . Seeing Timothy's targets, however, proved once again, "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian." He worked the AK like a pro and quickly had his tools printing Rifleman size groups. Unfortunately, several hundred 30 cal rounds took their toll and he was pretty spent by the time we jumped hot and heavy into the AQT's. He missed the mark by only a few rounds on the rapid AQTs.

Sunday had several shooters in hot pursuit of 210. Unfortunately, John had to leave early because of family obligations (and a long drive) and wasn't able to "patch out". Matt ("Other Matt") reached his goal on his centerfire and decided to work the rest of the day while wearing his load carrier to make things more sporting. Our orange hat, Thirig, came early to help set up and stayed late to help clean up but he showed everyone he was there to shoot! He made Rifleman two weeks earlier with his 22LR and now he wanted to test himself on his centerfire AR with iron sights. He quickly knocked out his Rifleman's score. But he wasn't done yet; he quickly broke out a 231 to make Distinguished with irons! Great shooting . . .  and he jumped in to call the line and help all afternoon Sunday! Good guy to be on the line with.

Photos coming, but I hope someone has some better than mine!

Lomshek

Sounds like a great event and well worth you being "poached" from the Kansas event to help up there!

Good job!

Captain

Here are some of our pictures from the weekend . . .

NE Bull directs shooting squares

"Big Mike" sitting to save his shoulder

Center fire on the line AR's and an AK

Matt and "Little Mike" in prone

Timothy's shorts vs the Coats

Distracting John

Slapping the trigger and eyes shut 

You call this cold?

NE Bull calling the line

Dave's holding targets down range?

NE Bull "No shooting mats in 1775"

NE Bull instructing the reset

Wolverines and plate carriers

Thirig calling the line

Timothy on an ammo run

John and "Little Mike"

Better pic on Saturday!

Hunter drills his target

Dave tries a new rifle

Working stage 4

Trying for a second 210

Hunter prefers the M1

Rifleman's bubble

22LR or 223

I have no wobble

Ready for transition

Did you start your watch?

Hunter gets the Drummer Patch

Matt makes the cutoff!

Nebraska tradition!

NE Riflemen WILL wear the hat

Distinguished Irons - 231!!

FurTrapper

Great weekend spent with good friends reacquainting with some founding history and marksmanship skills. This is John BTW. Sorry to disappear mid afternoon on Sunday but I try to reserve Sunday dinner time to gather around the table with my family. Seemed like the afternoon break was a good opportunity so as not to be too disruptive. Skills were on the down slide at that point anyway. I'll be back to re-qualify for my patch and a little more prepared. I see I need to lose a few boxes of cartridges stuffed under my shirt as well.  ::)
  Hats off to Captain Rob and Jeremy for putting on a great show. Our little cadre of dangerous old men are already planning our next visit.
:F

sleepy

Sounds like I missed a great shoot! I'll look forward to Grand Island another time.

Captain

Hey FurTrapper, so glad you guys could make it out and no worries taking off a little early on Sunday - I like your priorities! And you are right on getting back to 210, it's great you're renewing those perishable marksmanship skills. I hope we are on the same line again soon.

ssgnod

This is "Big Mike" LOL.  Had a great time at the GI Appleseed.  The stories were great, the shooting was fun, we ALL learned a lot.  Great job guys, I'd go to a shoot with you as instructors any time!!  Stay awesome guy!!!

Captain

Hey "Big Mike" I'm glad we didn't let you down. You've seen "just a couple" of Appleseeds, so a positive review from you means a lot. You guys made things really easy with so many experienced shooters on the line, all we had to do was hand out targets and try to stay out of the way ;D I hope we all get to do it again sometime!