News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - San Antonio, TX September 27-28 LADYSEED

Started by Mercedes, October 07, 2019, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercedes

Well, South Texas didn't disappoint as temps were in the mid- to upper 90's with high humidity on Friday and the mid-90's on Saturday with bursts of wind and mild cloud cover during the early morning hours. It sure didn't feel like the end of September for this MN born and bred girl!  :))

Although this Ladyseed was not a private event, ALL of the shooters were members of A Girl and A Gun  O0  who represented multiple chapters from San Antonio to Austin and areas in between. We welcomed four ladies to the Appleseed family and four of the returning ladies had each attended two or more events previously.  :snipersmi  Using an AQT as a training aid on Saturday and calling Cease Fire!, we managed to complete one AQT before the heat did everyone in for the day! On Saturday, we completed four more AQTs. These AGAG ladies know their way around rifles! We had a GREAT event and everyone is ready to come back for another "shot" at the elusive Rifleman patch!   

..:..  ..:..  ..:.. A HUGE SHOUT OUT JustKim and gunjunkie were in town from Florida and joined us.  JustKim provided the majority of instruction on Friday and Gunjunkie brought a replica musket that the shooters and the instructors were given the opportunity to shoot.  What an incredible opportunity to "time-travel" and experience shooting a firearm the Redcoats and Colonists were using!  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  Several photos and videos were taken and hopefully they'll be added to this post.  ..:..  ..:..  ..:..

As for the remainder of the instructor cadre - WOW!!!  The ladies benefited from an almost combined 75 years of shooting experience from an incredible team of instructors!  On Saturday, we had one instructor positioned in between every shooter, which made the time on the ground very valuable.  YOU GUYS ROCK!!! 

^:)^  ^:)^  ^:)^ AND NOW,...let's hear about out shooters!  ^:)^  ^:)^  ^:)^

Crystal, a first time attendee, had the high score for the weekend of 177! Interestingly, her first AQT on Saturday only scored 114, but after some one-on-one to diagnose and work on her seated position and steady hold factors, her score shot up over 60 points on the next AQT (yes, the pun was intended!) and her scores remained consistent (177, 174, 176) for the remainder of the day.  Oh, yeah, she was using iron sights!

Riley, a return attendee with significant LEO experience, suffered through equipment issues on Friday and early Saturday morning. After changing out her rifle during the first AQT on Saturday, she scored 144, 155, and 132 thereafter.  Riley's a competitor and won't be satisfied until she's earned the Rifleman patch.  I'll know she'll be back on the line with a new .22 long rifle before we know it!

Sandy, another return attendee discovered that she was indexing her trigger finger after each shot during the zeroing exercise and leaving a 4 MOA group on paper. After working with an instructor to manage NPOA and the 6 Steps, her next shot group decreased to 2 MOA. Despite battling equipment issues with her AR throughout the weekend, her scores of 144 and 156 when the rifle was functioning show that she's beginning to master those marksmanship skills.

Cindy and Brenda, 3rd and 4th time attendees, are bound and determined to score rifleman with their ARs. While their short statures and the long rifles aren't a perfect fit, they are learning how to adapt and overcome.  Cindy scored 122, 94, 121, and 141; while Brenda's scores improved from 89 to 122 before calling it a day due to the heat. I met both of these gals a year ago and I hope that I'm the SB presenting their Rifleman patches because their positive attitude, determination, and perseverance is so motivating for me.

Teresa, whom I believe was using a borrowed rifle (I forgot to take notes), received some great one-on-one instruction and her AQT scores were very respectable at 121, 119, and 127.  I know that she's ready to purchase her own .22 long rifle and return to another Appleseed.

Susan, a first time attendee using an AR also scored very well with 108, 120, 102, and 132. Again, she was able to benefit from the one-on-one instruction available this weekend and her scores reflected the attention.

Did I mention the HEAT?!?  We lost three shooters on Saturday after lunch and the Second Strike due to the hot temperatures.  We're glad to report they are doing well and we hope to see them all return in the Spring 2020 when temperatures are more moderate.

..:..  ..:..  ..:.. Last, but not least, THANK YOU Lonestar Handgun Range in Converse, TX for the hospitality.  Your range is impressive and your attention to our event was greatly appreciated.  We look forward to returning in December for a sold out event!  ..:..  ..:..  ..:..

PaleRider

The ladies did great! Great job, Mercedes! BTW, lesson-learned! Ladyseed will be in November next year!  ^:)^
:beer:
Tim
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

Mrs. Smith

Sounds AMAZING (pesky weather thing notwithstanding  >:D )  Well done, ladies!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

TXBootGirl

I loved this event!  The instructors were incredible.  The other ladies attending were amazing.  The history was incredible.  We all learned a huge amount and my shooting improved so much.  Appleseed will be seeing a lot of me going forward:)  Thank you to all instructors that helped on our event, you all rock!

Crystal

Mercedes

Howdy, Crystal! Love your forum name and we're all ready to work with you again!

TXBootGirl

Quote from: Mercedes on October 10, 2019, 03:58:31 PM
Howdy, Crystal! Love your forum name and we're all ready to work with you again!

Thank you:)  My husband and I will be attending the December Appleseed.  See you there!

gunjunkie

Well not Florida hot, but still hot. Great shoot and a great group of folks. Sure glad I came.

If anyone can contact Theresa I would like to get my sling and sling adapter from her. Contact me here or at chuckim33@cox.net or call me at 850-218-6801.

Thanks
Be aware of yourself and everything around you.

Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom! Thomas Jefferson

We shall pass this way on earth but once, if there is a kindness we can show, or act we can do, let us do it now,for we will never pass this way again.
Stephen Grellet

Mercedes

Chuck,

I just copied you on the email that I sent to Theresa.

Debbie

JustKim

This was a great Ladyseed event!  We have awesome ladies who showed up with teachable attitudes which was evident by the increasing scores!  I really enjoyed working with all of the shooters -- I was impressed by their persistence even in the scorching heat.  I foresee many new riflewomen in the future!!  It was great to be in Texas again and work with all of the instructors.  Thanks for putting on a great event and special thanks to the range, they were great hosts.  Hopefully we will get to work together again.  Don't forget the annual boot camp at the IDMR the last week of January!!  JustKim
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

TXBootGirl

Quote from: gunjunkie on October 11, 2019, 11:18:45 AM
Well not Florida hot, but still hot. Great shoot and a great group of folks. Sure glad I came.

If anyone can contact Theresa I would like to get my sling and sling adapter from her. Contact me here or at chuckim33@cox.net or call me at 850-218-6801.

Thanks

Did you reach her or would you like me to forward your message to her?
Crystal

Mercedes