News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Dillon Sportsman Center, Newark, OH 10/6/19

Started by Corvette, October 07, 2019, 03:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

What a very special Appleseed we had this weekend at Dillon Sportsman Center near Newark, Ohio. Dillon is a long time sponsor of our program and it was my pleasure to bring Appleseed back to this range.  We arrived Friday evening to set up for the event and two of the shooters showed up to help us set up.  Huzzah. Thank you Carey and Betsey for helping us set up.

On Saturday morning, 24 shooters show up to start a weekend of hard work and great fun. This was very much a "family affair" event.  We had all kinds of family groups on the line. It was very special to lead a shoot with so many family ties.  It reminded me of the Lexington militia on the green and the close family ties that existed between those Patriots.   

We started the event with the normal welcome and moved to the safety briefing. Rifles were brought to the line and the Saturday morning Red Coat was shot.  Results showed we had a great bunch of shooters. We had more than half of the shooters good at 100, 9 at 200 and 5 joined Daniel Morgan.  We also had a cleared Red Coat.  Congrats Deb, great job.   

We moved to the steady hold factors in prone, followed by the six steps and NPOA instructions.  Related drills were shot and the morning moved on to shooting sighting groups.  We broke for lunch and the First Strike which was followed by the IMC presentation on how to adjust sights.

Final sights adjustments were made and confirmation groups were shot after lunch.

Next we moved to steady hold instructions in seated and standing which were followed by related drills. The Second Strike was presented at the afternoon break. 

This was followed by a practice AQT and the afternoon Red Coat.

The Saturday afternoon Red Coat had results which showed improvement over the morning effort.  Of 22 shooters, we had 15 at 100, 8 at 200, 5 at 300, 6 at 400 and 5 joined Daniel Morgan.  Most impressive was that we had four cleared Red Coats.  Huzzah to Deb, Sean, Danton and Brandon.  Well done, truly an impressive result.

This was followed by the Third Strike and a call to action to all to get active in their local communities.

Sunday dawned overcast and with an occasional sprinkle.  We started the day with a review of the safety rules and the POI's from Saturday. Rifles were brought to the line and the Sunday morning Red Coat was shot.  It was very encouraging.  Usually there is a little drop on Sunday morning but not with this group. They smoked it.  We had 16 of 23 at 100, 10 at 200, 5 at 300, 5 at 400, 7 joined Daniel Morgan and we had 2 cleared Red Coats.  Congrats to Deb and Sean for your great work on this Red Coat.

We moved to a trigger control drill, carding the sights and then started the AQT grind.

The shooters were up to the challenge. We made three new Riflemen/Riflewomen.  Brandon put up three straight qualifying scores of 230, 220 and 228, Deb finally passed over the line to shoot Riflewoman with a 220 that was backed up with a 227, Brandon joined the group with a 213 on his last AQT.  Others who did great included Gloria, one of our adaptive shooters, who put up scores of 200+.
The day ended with the Sunday Red Coat which was impressive.  We had 16 of 20 at 100, 8 at 200, 7 joined Daniel Morgan and another cleared Red Coat, congrats Danton.

We had a number of youth shooters on the line.  I was completely impressed with them.  They were focused, safe, polite and respectful of all the adults at the event.  My respect goes to their parents for raising such a great group of young Americans.  Huzzah!!!

My thanks to all the shooters for hard work.  The results speak for themselves.  This was a memorable Appleseed.

Our thanks to the Dillon Sportsman Center  for hosting our event and my thanks to Cactus Jack, Chevyshooter,  J Madison, Camo Cowboy, Shep, and Haley Beth for working this event.   

We look forward to our next events at Dillon Sportsman Center next year.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

:pics:

Here are a couple of pics from our event at Dillon.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Cactus Jack

It was an awesome shoot with a bunch of great shooters.  It's a great location and my hats off to Aaron for hosting it.  Already looking forward to returning there next year!!

Huzzah!!
Cactus Jack
1st Appleseed  7/17  Carroll
2nd Appleseed 10/17  Newark
3rd Appleseed  7/18  Newark
Cleared Redcoat 7/18 Newark
Rifleman 7/18 (215)  Newark

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin