News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Watervliet, MI, AAR, October 12-13, 2019

Started by Oz, October 06, 2019, 09:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

It was a memorable weekend at Watervliet.  Thirteen students came out in cool temperatures and nearly constant 20+ mph winds from the west that made for adventurous conditions, and made this ol' shoot boss proud and humbled to see what they could accomplish. 

Returning Riflemen John and Jared put on a clinic, pounding out score after score, John with both rimfire and an AR, Jared exclusively with an AR.  John came with the knowledge of 5 previous Appleseeds and Jared with threeâ€"at Battle Creek and Nappanee, respectively--and they showed that "this stuff works"!

They set the stage for no fewer than four new Riflemen: David started us out with a 210 in our second AQT of the weekend; he'd worked with our Battle Creek crew at two previous events.  Ron came next, in his second Watervliet event, with a 216, and the next AQT in my hand was from Ian, with a 218 at his first Appleseed-well done!  Not to be outdone, Aaron joined in with a 226 and followed it up with a 214; Aaron had attended events in Lapeer and Fenton about 10 years ago and was rejoining the trail.  It was great to see so many returning and new Riflemen demonstrate that they know very well what they are about. 

Josh was oh-so-close with a 206 on the last AQT of the weekendâ€"quite a first event, I have to think there is a patch waiting for you at your second!  Caleb, in the 190sâ€"you are there, things are ready to fall into place.  Todd, it was a pleasure to watch you work that Ruger American Rimfire, it's clear you have the patience and attention to make happen.  Helen, it was great working with you and you had some excellent scores.  Bill, you are definitely off on the right foot with your first experience with a rifle; I hope you practice and come on back out.  Steve, your form is great, your scores show that things will come together for you.  I know we'll see you and we will get it done.

We also had a great time ringing steel with centerfires on the 200 yard range.  Four students brought out their own ARs and we had a M48 Yugoslav adding its 8mm to the chorus!

It is always incredible to watch the students come together, get to know each other, and take care of each other through the weekend, loaning tools, even clothing to stay warm this weekend.  I just couldn't find a nicer bunch of folks to spend a weekend with.  Thank you.

The heavy lifting was done by my instructor crew:  Pepper Spray, Pookie, and Lancelot, thank you for everything you did to make this event a success.  Your history was from the heart, and you were on the line with the shooters all the time, teaching and helping.  Great work, and I can't wait until we work on the same line again. 

A special shout out to Captain America for his guest appearance on Sunday afternoon.  As he pointed out, his first event as an instructor-in-training was three years ago at Watervliet.  He'd scored Rifleman, been to two events, accepted a hat, but didn't know the first thing about instructing.  He hit the line like a tornado on Sunday.  Students who are interested in joining the program take note:  this could be you!  Great to see you, Cap, and many thanks. 

OK, you've heard me prattle on long enough this weekend.  What did you think?  Give us feedback!  I know photos were takenâ€"let's post them up!

Until the next time we meet, on down the trail…I have the honor to remain, your humble servant,

John / "Oz"
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Oz

And here we have photos that a shooter provided for me to share.  Thank you!
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

ToddSchaal

John and Crew,

Appreciated the incredible instruction, safe environment and SOPs, history lessons and great weekend.  Also, it was a wonderful and talented group of participants.  Look forward to attending another event in the future and have already recommended the Appleseed programs to others.

Thanks again!

Todd

Oz

Todd, thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend.  I agree completely, it was a pretty special group.  It's especially humbling to hear that you've recommended the program; I know you would not if you didn't believe it.

I have a few more photos from the weekend to post. 

John / Oz

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

figtree

An excellent, cold & windy but still excellent weekend. Truly appreciate the whole instructor crew. In addition to the guidance your level of enthusiasm made all the difference! Especially on that first morning; lack of experience and proper preparation had me at the mercy of the chilly wind which was truly sapping some concentration and touching on motivation as well. The cheerful spirits of all around kept me going though, and I appreciate it!  The borrowed hoodie really got me back on track 😊…

This was my 3rd Appleseed event. The first 2 taking place some 10'ish years back.  It was exciting to get back out on the range. Third time was the charm - a good ½ of my family has seen that RIFLEMAN patch now, ^:)^ .

I gained a much better understanding of my equipment over this event. I wrestled with some sling mounts, magazines, discovered my scope's elevation and windage adjustments were each doing their own thing😊, and of course the chilly morning weather. 
(Elev 0.5 MOA adj Wind 1 MOA adj who'da thunk ??? )

I tried to attach one of my better groups, done with PepperSpray by my side coaching. Now to work on that consistency.

There's a KD in my future for sure.
I can't wait to get out there again, solidify current skills, and push the(my) envelope.

~Aaron

Oz

Aaron, I remember that target!  Your windage adjustment went twice as far as you wanted (now we know why) and you took half of it back off.  That was some nice improvement in your technique over 5 strings of fire--well done!

So...if that's half your family with patches...we stand ready to work with you on the other half! :)

It was cool to see that Yugo on the line, too.  A 70 year old rifle, basically a 120 year old design, still in fine fettle and ringing steel at 200. 

Keep an eye out for KD events.  Dorr is closest to you.  'course, we're still happy to see you at 25-meter events to practice, aim for a Distinguished patch, and just generally set a good example for us with your great attitude!

Take care and thanks again--I hope to see you down the trail!

Oz / John

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Pepper Spray

It was a great weekend. How could any of us notice the cold with such a great fire in our hearts. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true. I couldn't have asked for a better crew of instructors, or students! Everyone was so attentive during history or points of instructortion. You guys asked lots of questions, which was amazing! With four NEW rifleman, we got to hand out lots of patches. Which makes for a VERY, VERY happy Pepper Spray. I had an absolute blast, and it was an honor to be in the presence of such skilled people.

I do hope some of you rifleman who have gone to two Appleseeds, will consider taking an orange hat, and becoming an instructor in training. It's a lot of work but it is always fun, and it means a lot. The orange hat is really "a free commitment" but a commitment that every American should already have, a commitment to his or her country. I encourage you to step up, and join the family of Appleseed volunteers!

I can't wait until we meet again, see you guys down the Appleseed trail.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." John A. Shedd

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton

Post tenebras lux

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now." -Alex and Brett Harris from Do Hard Things