News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Memphis, TN AAR - Sept. 28 - 29, 2019

Started by bright1, September 30, 2019, 09:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bright1

What a great weekend in Memphis!  Saturday started bright & early with Rustygun, MR. A-TEAM and myself setting-up the bay at MSSA.  Once our students arrived, we got down to the business of creating Riflemen!  We started with 10, all first time Appleseeders.  Three had to leave later that morning due to a family commitment, but the ones that were left were determined and quick to learn (of course, the excellent instruction offered by dart67eb, Rustygun and MR. A-TEAM helped that along!).  The day quickly warmed, but the students persevered and after shooting the first redcoat, shot through a number of squares, listening to instruction, making equipment adjustments and learning the techniques needed to become a marksman.  Everyone's groups tightened up nicely!  All paid attention during the safety briefing as there were no safety issues the entire weekend.  Great job, shooters!   Lunchtime was a welcome break from the heat as we sat in the shade and listened to MR. A-TEAM tell not one, not two, but all three strikes.  And he did a great job!  Huzzah!  After lunch, the students worked on perfecting their steady hold factors and NPOA, learned the seated and standing positions, how to shift their NPOA and practice mag changes.  Greencoats were posted and everything learned so far began to come together as we prepared to engage the first AQT of the weekend.  After the AQT, we knew we had some potential Riflemen on the line as there were many very respectable scores, but the elusive 210 remained just out of reach.  After shooting the final redcoat and listening to the benediction, we all retired for a well deserved rest.
Sunday dawned pretty much a repeat of the day before.  Sunny & warm (some might say hot, even!).  We ended up losing two more shooters due to Sunday commitments (Mark and Steve, we really missed you on the line!  You're both very good shooters and I hope to see you at another Appleseed).  Mr. A-TEAM had to head back to school, but we were joined by Tennessee Beast, another fantastic instructor.  After a quick refresher on the basics, we were ready to begin shooting AQT's.  Our shooters started cranking out good scores.  You could tell they all wanted that Rifleman patch, but like the day before, that 210 stayed just (barely) out of reach.  I believe all the instructors were impressed by the perseverance shown by every shooter on the line this weekend.  Eric D, Stan, Larry, Eric S. and Robert knocked on the door all day long.  Robert finally buckled down, put everything he had into it and posted a 216!  Huzzah!  Well done!  A very good day!  And we even had time for a little fun (and education) with some little, green zombies!  It was late in the day when we loaded our gear and said our good-byes.  I have a feeling that we'll be seeing some of these students at future Appleseeds - maybe some of you wearing an orange hat?  I'd like to offer a big shout out to MSSA for the use of their facilities for this event and their support of the Appleseed program.  And personally, thank you dart67eb for taking me under your wing this weekend.  You, MR. A-TEAM, Rustygun & Tennessee Beast are all fantastic!  Thanks for the honor of sharing the line with you.  Planning to see you all again!
bright1

Tennessee Beast

I WAS impressed with the persistence of the shooters and some of the groups. I enjoyed working with all of you. I hope you will be back and bring friends. I know I will be back to this great facility.  Here are some pics from Sunday.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

dart67eb

I saw pictures taken.  Surely someone will post them!  Anyway, a great shoot in the 95 degree heat.  Kudos to all of the attendees and to bright1 for making Shoot Boss and Mr A Team for making IIT 4 under my whipping (lol).  We had so many shooters knocking on the door to Riflemen which is great for first timers.  I'm sure we'll see these shooters again next spring!  Also, thanks to everyone for putting up with my bad jokes. All in all, a great time.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

bright1

More pics.

Popov

This was my first Appleseed.

Fantastic event, great venue.  A big "thank you" to all of the instructors, many of whom traveled long distances to put on a great clinic.  Special thanks to Rustygun for all of his personal instruction, coaching, and encouragement (especially when I got frustrated with myself  :wb:).  Yeah, I made a "few" mistakes and kicked myself pretty hard a couple times.  All in good fun  ;)

This was a HOT Memphis weekend, especially for this time of the year.  I wore myself out the first day and struggled more the second.  Nonetheless, I had a great time and learned a ton about both rifle marksmanship and America's heritage.

Bright1 may have convinced me to make the trek out to Hot Springs, AR for a KD shoot.  Sounds like a lot of fun.

One instructor described the event as "a history lesson disguised as a rifle clinic".  Fair enough, but I am starting to think this whole thing is a shill for "big pharma".  I can tell you that I took my fair share of Naproxen on Sunday and Monday mornings.  ;D

I said in the beginning that this was my first Appleseed, but I can tell you right now that it won't be my last!

Thank you again to everyone involved!  :bow:

Rustygun

A really good event at MSSA! One Rifleman and several others shooting just short of 210. It was good to meet Bright1 and see TN Beast again. Ebben did a great job as usual. Thanks to the shooters for coming out in the heat and persisting. Hope to see everyone again next time. A few pics of a really good group. Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

dart67eb

dart67eb

I swear I am in no way connected to "Big Pharma!"   ;D

Quote from: Rustygun on October 01, 2019, 09:58:48 PM
A really good event at MSSA! One Rifleman and several others shooting just short of 210. It was good to meet Bright1 and see TN Beast again. Ebben did a great job as usual. Thanks to the shooters for coming out in the heat and persisting. Hope to see everyone again next time. A few pics of a really good group. Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

MR. A-TEAM

Another great and hot weekend in the Midsouth which means another opportunity for individuals to learn, improve, and become something more. I had the fortunate opportunity to instruct with Rustygun, dart67eb, and bright1 who each bring a unique teaching style and humor to the Appleseed. I have been to countless Appleseeds as both a shooter and instructor, and it never ceases to amaze me how determined first time shooters can be. After that first redcoat target, no matter weather, fatigue, condition, or the occasional head call, these shooters are on the ball and ready to learn getting one step closer to Rifleman, and we will be there with them every step of the way.