News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hillsdale College - Congress

Started by CountZero, August 30, 2019, 12:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountZero

Hey all, wanted to bring this to your attention. It's an amazing series you can listen to online or offline (they offer mp3 downloads) discussing what congress was, what it is supposed to be, and what it is today. It's an amazing series of lectures and I encourage you to take a look. The entire thing is free: https://online.hillsdale.edu/courses/congress/home/congress-schedule

They also have a series about World War 2 and the Constitution. All 3 series are amazing, but of the 3 I think the one on the Congress is the best overall.

CountZero

I found a really good intro to describe the 3 branches of government:

Past: Judicial
Present: Executive
Future: Legislative

Judicial branch, the courts, are always looking at what has happened. Examining cases of law, someone did something against a law and they're trying to figure out if that law should be upheld or struck down or modified in some way

Executive branch, the president and law enforcement, take a law that had been passed and find ways to enforce it. They act on the laws that are currently on the books

Legislative branch, congress (house and senate), are to deliberate on issues brought forth by the people and enact laws to solve those problems by stating this is what's permitted, this is what's forbidden. Those laws should be clear so law abiding citizens may follow them and restricts enforcement officials and courts from twisting the law to meet their own goals. Laws should apply equally to all people.

I really dig the way they are breaking everything down. I'm learning a lot about all of this and finding it fascinating. I'll have to take some notes on more of the high lights and look things up so I can keep it all straight in my head. There's a lot of information to digest in this series

Good note to add as well. The formation of the branches of government are described in the Constitution:

Article 3: Judicial
Article 2: Executive
Article 1: Legislative

Funny how the articles are reversed from the order I listed above. I guess my brain works backwards

CountZero

I've finished listening to the series, it is an incredible set of work they've put together. The conclusions at the end are pretty sobering and also interesting. I'll post more soon!

Basically knowledge is key, we need to keep sharing truth and facts so everyone can understand where we came from, how we got to where we are today, and what can be done about it. Thanks for reading!

TaosGlock

They also have a written publication 'Imprintis', that covers many timely issues on liberty and the related peril we currently face in our nation.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Mrs. Smith

They also have a free online course on the Constitution. They are a precious resource!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

HammBone

My daughter did a foreign study trip with them last Summer. The course concentrated on Winston Churchill, the Normandy invasion and the final months of WW2. She spent time in London, at Chartwell in Kent, Normandy and Paris. It was a tremendous learning experience for her and the people at Hillsdale were fabulous. Both her mother and I wanted her to attend Hillsdale, but in the end she chose a university closer to home.
1st Appleseed/Cleared Redcoat/Rifleman: 4/20/2013 - Miamisburg, OH
1st Known Distance Rifleman: 11/3/2018 - New Philadelphia, OH
1st Winterseed Rifleman: 1/26/2019 - Liberty Center, OH
Donned the Red Hat: 6/16/2019 - Wilmington, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper