News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

GET OFF YOUR COUCH, MICHIGAN!!!

Started by BeeFree, February 08, 2009, 06:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeFree

OK, folks, time to haul your hibernating butts off your couches and get to work.  WE NEED FOLKS TO GO TO GUN SHOWS!!!
And YOU just needed an excuse to go!  Well, I just gave you one.  Here is the schedule...
Feb 13,14,15.3 Day Show. Lansing/Mason
Feb 21 & 22 ............ Kalamazoo
Feb 28, Mar 1 ........ Grand Rapids
Mar 7 & 8 ................. Monroe
Mar 14 & 15 ............ Cadillac
Mar 21 & 22 ........... Birch Run
Mar 28 & 29 ............. Detroit
Apr 3,4,5....3 Day Show. Lansing/Mason
Apr 10 & 11 FRI/SAT ONLY Novi
Apr 18 & 19 ........... Grand Rapids
Apr 25 & 26 ........... Kalamazoo

You can get more info from www.migunshows.com
Gunshows are easy.  Call/email the organizer.  Give them a 30 second rundown on Appleseed.  Ask if they could donate us a table (we are 501c3, so it's a tax write off for the show).  Get back on this board and get some help manning it.  If you don't have the pretty SWAT reprints, let me know and i'll get them to you.  If you can print up the flyers and schedules from the website, do so.  If you can't I will do it for you and ship them to you.  Throw on your Appleseed shirt and get yourself to the show and man that table.  If you can't get a free table, find out for me what the rental costs.  Ask if there will be an unmanned free table for company catalogs, brochures, etc.  If there isn't, go to the show anyway, with some flyers/schedules, etc.  Hand them out to interested patrons.  If there are no interested patrons (yeah, right) then see if you can find a sympathetic vender who has room for the flyers on his table.  Talk to the vendors (when they aren't busy).  If youcan get them interested, they can reach a lot more people faster than we can alone.  The more people you get interested now, the better chance we have of getting to our goal of FOUR Appleseeds in MI this year, AND the more people we will have getting the word out about us, and the better chance we'll have of running at least ten Appleseeds in 2010... but we have to get the word out NOW to get the people on the line, to grow them into instructors, to end our dependence on OTHER states for SBs and Instructors.  They'd like to be growing their own states, not shlepping up here to work for us... SOOOOOOO, GET OFF THAT COUCH, and go do something FUN for APPLESEED!

BeeFree

<:) &)
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

hawkhavn

Michigan,

You need to drop a thank you note to Resdep, 17Chap, Brokensling and .5 for the work they did this week promoting Michigan at the South Bend gun show.  More than 2000 folks through there this weekend, I'd be willing to bet a few were from farther north... ;D

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

colycat

What is it with us northerners?  Are we really happy with the way the ship is sinking?  WI is in bad shape in terms of new and old businesses. No new start ups, the ones we have are leaving.  MI is even worse.  We have to get off our A.....s and get to work. Now!!!!

Coly
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

BeeFree

>:(

73 views and not one single volunteer.  I can't cover the entire state alone, folks.  Don't even try to tell me none of you attend gun shows.  If all you can manage is to take the flyers and schedules to a show and get them on the front table, then at least do that.  The Titanic is sinking while you drink your tea.   :'(

BeeFree

WolfAmongSheep

I have never been to an Appleseed before, so I really can't tell other people how fantastic it is. What I will be willing to do, since I am signed up for one in May, because I like to make new shooting buddies and would love to meet people from my area at some of the shoots, I would be willing to pop by some of the local sporting good stores, ie Dunhams, Gander, REI, etc, and ask to put up a flyer on their board. I didn't see a link for the flyer, so if you send me a copy, I will do that for you.

BeeFree

Thanks WolfAmongSheep!

Below is the link where Fred has posted the latest flyer.  If the link doesn't work, the flyer is attached to the OP of the thread titled "downloadable nationwide appleseed flyer" in the "new to the Forum? Wade in here..." forum.  Just click on the green paperclip.  It is a two page file.  To save paper and make handing it out easier, I've been printing page one, then turning it over and printing page two on the back.  Do it however is easiest for you.  Someday I'll be computer literate on this Mac and be able to just MOVE the attachment here...

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=3930.0

Thanks, again!

Let me know how it goes,
BeeFree

WolfAmongSheep

Hmmm....Fred's flyer is a little busy and not very easy to read. I know he was going for widest impact, but I would be trying to target (pardon the pun) the shoots related to my area. Would he be offended if I created a toned down version and cleaned it up a little?

funfaler

Quote from: WolfAmongSheep on March 18, 2009, 06:45:46 PM
Hmmm....Fred's flyer is a little busy and not very easy to read. I know he was going for widest impact, but I would be trying to target (pardon the pun) the shoots related to my area. Would he be offended if I created a toned down version and cleaned it up a little?

Nope, Appleseed at will!!

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

bedford

I am an IIT from just North of Green Bay and have a cabin by Norway MI.  I would be happy to help set up a shoot in the UP.  I do know a couple of serious high power shooters from up there. 

Bedford

WolfAmongSheep

Is there anyway I can get access to the clipart that Fred uses? The minute man, scrolls, etc?

BeeFree

Hey Wolf,

the sub-forum below (How to Promote Appleseed) is found in the "New to the Forum, Wade in here..." forum.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=58.0

It has a bunch of stuff like that on it (images in .jpg and other formats), but you may have to wade through some of the threads to find the right image.  I'm out of here until Monday, but if you can't access this forum, leave me a note and I'll see what I can do about getting you the images.

BeeFree

Puff-TMD

Quote from: WolfAmongSheep on March 18, 2009, 06:45:46 PM

Each Appleseed event has individual flyers.  If there is a need, send a PM to me and I can generate a "regional" version of one of these.  Individual flyers can be downloaded from the event information pages linked from the schedule.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule.htm
"Liberty means responsibility.   That is why most men dread it."  --   George Bernard Shaw