News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Boulder CO 8/25/19

Started by Long Rifle, August 27, 2019, 01:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Rifle

Great event at the Boulder Rifle Club this last weekend. Eight shooters came out to improve their marksmanship skills and reconnect with their common history. Despite blazing hot temperatures everybody perservered.

Thanks to everyone that came out. We saw tons of improvement over the weekend. The final Redcoat proved that the shooters had taken to heart the lessons they learned. After having spent all weekend learning to run a borrowed 10/22 Mele brought out her bolt action 308 hunting rifle and hammered her final Redcoat. She'll have meat to eat this winter.

I hope to see everyone at another Appleseed event in the near future. Keep an eye peeled for the next Rimfire Known Distance event or come to the Unknown Distance event in Laramie WY Nov. 2 & 3. It'll be a blast.

Here's a link to the pics taken by Kenshi a newly minted IIT.
https://www.alanlunnphotography.com/Client-Galleries/Appleseed/Boulder-August-25th/n-qt2kT6
Password: TimothyMurphy
Those that can, DO. Those that can DO MORE, teach.
Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Captain

This was a fun event for students and instructors alike. Three newer shooters on the line worked their behinds off drinking massively from the Appleseed fire hose! It was great to see Doug take up the muzzle loader on Sunday - Huzzah! We also had our official Appleseed liaison, "Dave", show us he is solidly amongst those "who know very well what they are about" as he knocked out yet another Rifleman's score. He would also definitely get the award for most shooter's brought to Appleseed events. I hear rumor he will be making an appearance in the near future with some new Appleseeders in tow - keep 'em coming Dave! Another rumor heard on the line was that one particular shooter (on the verge of Rifleman) might be considering an orange hat when he passes the 210 mark. I won't jinx it with names, but I know that would be a great addition to Appleseed! This is a guy who knows how to persist until he achieves his goal. I hope I'm there when it happens.

A reminder that our own Long Rifle will be leading an IBC (Instructor's Boot Camp) in October. And I heard him say that if you are considering an orange hat and think you might have a passion to pass on the Appleseed heritage, you would be welcome to attend even if you are still working on your 210 Rifleman score. These don't get to Colorado too often so don't miss your chance!
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

TheRuralJuror

Hey, guys! This is Chris, Doug's son from the weekend. I was greatly impressed with the caliber of the instructors! Their investment in each of the students was world class. My usual learning process with shooting before the weekend had been much slower paced (read articles, watch videos, do some dry fire and then try new lessons at the range for an hour), so the pace of the weekend was a challenge but I appreciated how much shooting we all got to do because of it. I hadn't anticipated how physically demanding the weekend would be, especially for my dad, but the instructors were all very professional, encouraging and accommodating. Even with the loose screws on my optics, they helped me roll with the punches and still have a great time.
Ultimately, I'm glad to learn what changes I need to make to my gear in such a safe and controlled setting. There's a reason no one's ever been shot at an Appleseed.

I look forward to unpacking all the lessons you all took the time to pass on to me and the other students. If there's any way I can be of assistance in bringing Appleseed out towards Grand Junction, please let me know.

The photographer shared his photo album from the second day with me if anyone is interested in seeing those.

Cheers!

Captain

Hey Chris - welcome to the forum! I haven't seen the photos from the weekend yet. You should have all the tools to make big improvements for your next trip to the range. Look through the information packet you received from Long Rifle and put in those "couple of ten minute sessions" for a couple weeks and you will see huge gains. I find it's easier to make myself practice when there is an event to prepare for (Appleseed, of course, or some other class or shooting event). I know it's a long haul from where you're at but we do have more Colorado events this year, and like we discussed, you're about the same distance to Utah.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and can't wait to catch up next time on the range! It was great have you and your Dad in Boulder, really glad you both had a good time!
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range