News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Congratulations Corvette

Started by Cadence, August 26, 2019, 10:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadence

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Please join me in congratulating our State Coordinator, Corvette, for earning his KD rocker this past weekend at the Meeker Sportsman's Club.

As instructors we all know we don't get that many chances to shoot at an event and Corvette has been running all of Ohio's KD events instead of being able to shoot at them.

It was an honor to be able to run the shoot so he could concentrate on getting KD qualified.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

EZ3

That rocks!!!   Congrats, Corvette!  Way to stick with it!   O0 O0 O0
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Crazyduckhunter

:beer:
So after learning from you last couple of years on how to shoot a KD? Congrats to ya!!

Charles McKinley

Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Corvette

Thanks all,

Not a score that will impress but as we tell the shooters, don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.  Glad to have this off my back and I learned an awful lot about my rifle and my ammo. (For example, my reloads fall 8"-10" low at 400 yds vs factory ammo.  Guess I am loading them a little light. And, my come up from 100 to 200 is only 1.5 moa, not 2.0.)

Will be looking forward to backing it up in October at the New Philly KD with a better score. There is still plenty of room at this KD, come join us.   

Doing the hard work Saturday morning with the sighter strings at each distance was essential and very valuable to sorting out come ups that will work.

Again, thanks for the kind words. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

TomMPR

HUZZAH! Corvette, i know you've put alot of effort into getting that coveted rocker. See you in New Phili in october.

Shep

Congratulations,  KD shoots are the best!
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

cwcdl79

Huzzah! All it took was a little bit o work on saturday

HammBone

Good job, Corvette! That KD you ran in New Philly last November was one of my best times behind a rifle (tied with the Winterseed in January). Glad you finally got the rocker.
1st Appleseed/Cleared Redcoat/Rifleman: 4/20/2013 - Miamisburg, OH
1st Known Distance Rifleman: 11/3/2018 - New Philadelphia, OH
1st Winterseed Rifleman: 1/26/2019 - Liberty Center, OH
Donned the Red Hat: 6/16/2019 - Wilmington, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper

Tennessee Beast

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

BamaFan7

"where the body of the people, or any single man, is deprived of their right, or is under the exercise of a power without right, and have no appeal on earth, then they have a liberty to appeal to heaven, whenever they judge the cause of sufficient moment."

Birdman

Corvette, congratulations on the KD patch! Ohio Project Appleseed has done well.....mostly because of your passion and leadership. It is an honor to know you!

Trisha

AF5US

:F  :F  :F Huzzah!  :F  :F  :F

Well done sir!

Much like you, I learned a lot about my rifle my first time out.  Didn't quite make it the first time due to a few hardware problems, and also a few "wetware" problems with all the stuff behind the trigger & stock  ;)

But, well, since a rifleman persists . . . Went home, did some reflection, did some practice, made some changes.  Earned KD rifleman my next time out, and the couple of times I've assisted KDs since then.

Invaluable experience.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Guntuckian

Congrats, Steve!  It's good to get trigger time now and again.
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Nashville Stage

Congratulations, sir! I know you've been chasing that one for a while.
Huzzah!
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

scuzzy

Quote from: Corvette on August 27, 2019, 12:01:14 AM

Glad to have this off my back and I learned an awful lot about my rifle and my ammo. (For example, my reloads fall 8"-10" low at 400 yds vs factory ammo.  Guess I am loading them a little light. And, my come up from 100 to 200 is only 1.5 moa, not 2.0.)

LOL - THIS!!!

I'd bought some 'Hornady Steel Case Match 75gr BTHP' for my first KDs. It was cheap and dang was it accurate. Good stuff just wish they still made it. It was advertised as 2950 fps velocity. Guess maybe it would be from a 24 inch barrel. At 400 it was way way low. I then got some 5.56 off the shelf and shot expert at the next KD. One of the guys had a chrony that day so I asked if he could check my Hornady. Turns out it was from 2490 to about 2510. Real consistent. Just not anywhere close to what it was advertised as.

Seems most manufacturers use long barrels to get the velocity specs. Big difference when you're using a 16 inch barrel.

Anyhow good educational experience. And dang it sure is fun. Well at least when you're hitting your target that is!  ;D

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Corvette

Scuzzy,

Yes, we never stop learning to be a better Rifleman.  My reloads should be at 2,800 fps which should be within a 100 or so fps with factory ammo.  I have not chrono'd them but based on the results last weekend, I am guessing I am a little short of the spec'd velocity. 

But, we learn every day. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

PHenry

Congrats Corvette. Feels good don't it?

I know a lot of guys who reload and never chrono. I guess it works for them, but I was taught always to chrono, if just for safety. The competition shooters want the lowest charge that offers good groups in order to conserve powder and wear on spendy rifles. Me, I want full effect. If I am loading 55gr FMJ in 5.56 - I want what the military gets. They spend millions on testing and I just go with that - 3240FPS at 25M. That was the first round I loaded and I could not get grouping until I exceeded 3200FPS. There is likely a second accuracy coincidence at a lower pressure, but I am not loading only for 25M or even 100 yards. More power! (insert deep grunting)

Rock on sir!  :---
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Texas T

Congratulations and well done!  O0 :snipersmi
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017