News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Guntersville, AL AAR 24-25 Aug 2019

Started by Mixed Metaphor, August 26, 2019, 09:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixed Metaphor

First and foremost, I want to thank the 16 shooters and 1 lovely observer who attended our event at the beautiful Blue and Gray range in Guntersville, AL!  Without you, there would be no events.  I also want to extend my deepest appreciation to all of the shooters for the amazing clean up job!  The range looked MUCH better when we left than when I arrived Saturday morning.  A huge thank you to the instructors who all came together to make this event happen.
Our day started with an inspiring recount of the First Strike by EddieB.  After our preliminary safety instruction and line commands, we posted a Hits Count (Red Coat) target.  The groups looked pretty good, especially for the first string of the day.  We had 1 shooter clear the target!  After several classes on various topics like eye dominance, sling use and NPOA, we were ready to shoot some squares.  The shooters all did very well!  The shooters were zeroed.  Alas, it was lunch time.  AH1Tom regaled us with a very impassioned and emotional Second Strike. 
After lunch, we shot a couple of more squares and learned everyone will lie to you, except your target.  We discussed what the targets say and learned their language.  That brought us to a great class on inches, minutes and click.  This is the class that will save headache, heartache and money!  After a couple of exercises, we posted our first AQT!  We shot each stage after a learning that position.  During the AQT, we took a break for T.J.8 to share the pride inspiring Third Strike.
We ended day 1 with another Hits Count (Red Coat) target.  We had a shooter clear this one as well.  The shooters all saw improved groups from the first Hits Count (Red Coat) target.
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!
Google started us off on the right foot with awesome morning history.  GTEngineer followed with a review of slings, prone and seated positions.  Maximum Ordinate gave a great (in-depth) review of the standing position.  Google reviewed IMC.  AH1Tom and Tennessee Beast reviewed NPOA and Safety.  Our first target of the day was another Hits Count (Red Coat) target.  We had 3 clear the target!  Huzzah!  The shooters became coaches with the ball and dummy drill.  I saw some future instructors on the line!  The coaching was excellent!  The shooters learned a lot as coaches.  We shot a couple of squares as sighters to verify zero, then we were on to the first AQT of the day.  We finally took a break for lunch.  EddieB took the floor and discussed Known Distance.  This included the Rifleman's Quarter Mile, trajectory, the various zeros, range estimation and the three challenges of a Rifleman.  After lunch, we continued with AQTs and Tennessee Beast told us about the Rifleman's Bubble.  Three of our shooters moved to the 100 yard line and fired a few strings at longer distance.  They were able to see that the skills that work at 25 will work farther out!  We ended with another Hits Count (Red Coat) target. 
We had three shooters re-qualify or qualify as Riflemen this weekend!
Neil- 211 Re-qualified
Taylor- 210 Qualified
Mike D.- 221 Qualified and stepped up for the Orange Hat!
Thank you Mike!
Again, thank you to all of the shooters and instructors!!
HUZZAH!

(Pictures to follow)
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

Mixed Metaphor

Neil
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

Mixed Metaphor

Taylor
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

Mixed Metaphor

Mike D.  (Drone Attack)
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

Mixed Metaphor

Some old friends and some new ones!
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

Google

It was my honor and privilege to work with all the shooters this weekend.  Everyone came with a great attitude, worked hard, and the results were evident in your targets.  Practice at home and come out to join us at another event.  In the mean time put that seventh step into action by telling people about your experience at Guntersville.  Remember, a Rifleman persists!

We were happy to have Tennessee Beast and GTEngineer join us on Sunday.  This was TN Beast's first time to work in AL  O0  It was a special treat to have GTEngineer with us all the way from Seattle.  He left the TN Valley shortly after I took my Orange Hat; I still have the laminated 'cheat card' he gave me at my very first event as an IIT.  Thanks, Andy!  :)

Here are a few pics from the weekend:

Mixed Metaphor handing out William Diamond patches

Maximum Ordinate handing out service award pins and Alabama state patches to visiting instructors

Ball and Dummy

More Ball and Dummy, with Mike getting tips on coaching from EddieB before taking his Orange Hat

Seated stage

Shealy showing us how it's done

Down the line

Shaun with one of his three sons, we love to see families on the line  :1luvu

TN Beast calling the line

Neil and Taylor putting their new rifleman skills to the test at 100 yards

Tennessee Beast

I really enjoyed working this event. The students were attentive, which made my job easy. Several shooters were within a shot or two of Rifleman.  Practice what you learned this weekend and you will achieve it before long. I felt very welcome and have already sewed on my Alabama state patch.    I took some pictures.  My favorite is the one of Mike calling the line...he looks so proud of his new hat...as he should be.   
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Trekkie

Thanks to all the folks who came out and volunteered.  Had a great time and got a couple of good tips even though it was my fifth Appleseed. Really appreciate what all you volunteers do, this wouldn't be possible without you!