News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sevierville, TN Appleseed, August 24th, 2019 AAR

Started by CokeGuy, August 25, 2019, 06:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CokeGuy

Sevierville was under forecast of rain for this one-day event, but the rain never came. Instead we were blessed with sunshine and a cadre of 15 enthusiastic shooters.  The line filled up when Michael from Kentucky asked around 3:30 on Friday to join us as a walk-on. We responded around 5:30, hoping that he got the message in time to attend...he did.  This was a very unique event with participants of all ages, shapes and sizes, capabilities, and with an broad array of .22 magazine-fed rifles. Many arrived with new rifles and with no shooting experience, which posed a wonderful challenge to the super group of instructors, but we loved the opportunity. All of you participants were a joy to work with! We are so pleased that you chose a Project Appleseed event to learn about rifle/range safety and about how to develop your marksmanship skill. We hope that you were able to gain useful knowledge about your particular equipment. Instructors worked hard to help you understand how to acquire proper sight picture and alignment, especially with the iron sighted rifles, of which there were many, and how to insert and remove magazines and how to properly use the loaned GI slings.

The challenge for instructors was to address the wide array of rifles, rifle sights and capabilities of this diverse group. Our objective was to spend as much time as necessary with you "on the mat".

Along with those who had signed up, we were pleasantly surprised by the appearance of Maximum Ordinate, National Coordinator. We put him right to work! Not only did  M.O. help with instruction, he also was able to diagnose the problem and properly reassemble a 10/22 trigger group to put the rifle back on the line. Thank you, sir, for all you did. 

As instructors, we took on the challenge of imparting as much history and marksmanship knowledge as possible. Our objective was to tell, show and allow students to practice proper positions, 6 steps, and NPOA, and to be sure you had the opportunity to experience an AQT drill before the end of the day.  Jason, a previous Rifleman, requested an Orange Hat. Huzzah! It appeared that the day was enjoyed by all, and many did well on some stages. All of you have the potential with practice and persistence to earn that coveted Rifleman's patch. We hope you will practice what you have learned and that you will attend another Project Appleseed event in the near future. Thanks to all of you for your attentiveness to safety and instruction and to the sharing of history. We loved seeing whole families on the line! For the youth under 18, a Luther Blanchard patch will be mailed to you to show our appreciation for you participating in this event.

Rustygun

Sounds like a great event!

Tennessee Beast

It WAS a great event!  I have photographic proof...
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

JohnnyDiesel

Fantastic instructors and a great facility made for a wonderful experience! Thanks to all!

Bolt gun Bill

Great working with everyone at this event.  Really enjoyed meeting several instructors that I had not had the privilege to work with yet!  Great examples for me to emulate on my journey to a red hat.
Thanks Jason for stepping up for an orange hat! Looking forward to working with you.

JohnnyDiesel

Quote from: Bolt gun Bill on August 26, 2019, 11:12:16 PM
Great working with everyone at this event.  Really enjoyed meeting several instructors that I had not had the privilege to work with yet!  Great examples for me to emulate on my journey to a red hat.
Thanks Jason for stepping up for an orange hat! Looking forward to working with you.
Likewise my friend.