News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Laramie, WY KD 8-17-2019

Started by Mark Davis, August 17, 2019, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

Breezy day. Eight staples were not enough to keep the "D" repair center secure.
Eight shooters on the line. One rifleman who qualified twice,  scored 48 on the 4 minute rapid fire AQT.
Four AQT's fired, We had to go hide in our cars to let some lighting and hail pass.
An awesome day of wind, sun, cold sprinkles, and a few hail stones.

messer9696

Mark,
Thank you to you and the other RO's for a great shoot. I learned a lot and appreciated the instruction. The interstate warning sign on I-80 during my trip home warned of 40+ MPH wind gusts.... I think they guessed that on the low side!
It is the rifleman, not the rifle, which defines accuracy.

sleepy

Fun and informative! Wind was usual, sending rifles & weighted mats over the berm.

I'm still learning, as Mark is teaching me over the phone to add pics.

Mark Davis

Sunday brought even more wind. Some Kestrel readings showed average sustained winds around 25 MPH, the gusts were predicted by NOAA as being 35MPH.

The flags indicated the wind was mostly from 6 o'clock. Bullet impacts on target showed other results.
Most results I noted were impacts from 2-4 minutes right of point of aim at 300 and 400.

The shooters and instructors present did find some humor going over appleseed's wind estimation information.

Shooting this weekend was very good practice, and also great fun hanging with friends, old, and new.

messer9696

The ammo can was much lighter on the way home. Glad I had the privilege to shoot with a bunch of experts and instructors. I hope to get the kids to a KD one of these days. Lord knows this country needs them... :sos:

It is the rifleman, not the rifle, which defines accuracy.

Mark Davis

Quote from: messer9696 on August 18, 2019, 11:10:39 PM
Mark,
Thank you to you and the other RO's for a great shoot. I learned a lot and appreciated the instruction. The interstate warning sign on I-80 during my trip home warned of 40+ MPH wind gusts.... I think they guessed that on the low side!
I saw the same warning on the way home as the road forked to Shirley basin. Was a little disappointed a few hours later when the wind died down, and the bugs came out. Had to stop and clean the splattered bugs off the windshield so deer could be avoided. Arrived home about 1:15.

Pine Ridge Puma

My thanks also to the WY and MT crew for hosting the rimfire and centerfire KD at Laramie.  It would have been perfect but for the stinking wind-every day!!!!!!!!  I sure thought we would have had one day where it was not so bad, but alas!  Interesting anyhow and always fun to pull the trigger, see old friends and make new ones.
When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them,  and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.

M1bzrk

RFKD & KD 16-19AUG2019

Kinda breezy for all three days, which made life interesting.  We had an excellent turnout and filled the 8 position firing line.  Had 9 signedup between the RFKD and the KD: 6 from Colorado, 2 from Nebraska, and 1 from Wyoming. Had one no-show ( he did notify us beforehand-family issues). 

There were 8 instructors signed up and joined by 2 more on Sunday;  all had a chance to try their hands.  Only 2 qualed - Captain and messer9696 both did on RF and KD - and Captain scored 48 hits on the KD, earning him a Distinguished patch.  Well done, both of you!

Everyone gave it their best try, but the wind was a real factor. Thank you, Mark for SBing, and for Steve, Crystal, Rob, Rick, Jacob, Erich & Barb for coaching and Instructing. You all did yeoman service, helping in every facet of the event, even some odd duck who shot a 6.5 Grendel.

Thank you Rex, Jacob, Ed and all the board of the LRRC, and Rick our liason.  Your support made the shoot possible and we owe you guys.  What a range!

Last, but not least, thank you shooters.  There was no lack of effort on your part.  Special kudos to Zane who shot his last AQT in the midst of a kidney stone attack.  I've been there but do not have that kind of focus and fortitude.  Thank you all for a memorable and productive shoot.

HapHapablap

Sorry for the delay getting my pics posted. It's been a crazy week.

Thanks for everyone from, seemingly, the entire plains region for coming out and making it an excellent event.

Pics from the 8/17-18 KD:

Do good, recklessly.

Captain

Wow! Great pictures! Thanks for posting HapHapablap.
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range