News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tim Murphy Field Shoot Feb 21st

Started by wildman, February 06, 2009, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

The Tim Murphy Field Shoot will be held on Saturday the 21st of February is just a week away. Here's what you need to know.

Time: We start at 9:00 am sharp. The day starts with getting good zeros normally this takes us up to lunch time. We'll get zeros at 200, 300, and 400 yards.

What do I need to bring? First a good shooting rifle M1s, M1A, 1903, M15 are fine choices. Hunting rifles with light barrels will not hold up to high rates of fire, up to eight rounds per minute. Something to eat and drink. The normal range gear comes in handy: mats, binos are a must even a cheap pair will do, shooting glasses, hearing protection and any other comfort items you want to bring. You will also need some way to carry ammo for the
Counter-Attack Exercise, most of us use some type of web gear.

Ammo: Bring as much as you want I wouldn't go to a field shoot with less than 200 rounds.

Cost: The range fee is $45.00
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

hawkeye

I'm in. Lawson and Keaton won't make this shoot. More ammo for me! Now to figure out which rifle to bring.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Old Dog

Well, I'll be there with one more person for a total of 2 for the trip.  Couldn't talk my son into it this trip.  One of the guys who shot a rifleman score (or two) on the second day of the Nov. Black Creek AS wants to go.

For what it's worth, he's a arfcom member and that's where he heard about this.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

wildman

That's outstanding! It going to be a great day. What's arfcom?
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

boltgun71

ARFCOM is www.ar15.com

Sounds like we will have a pretty good crew on the 21st.  Whats the pre-reg numbers looking like Wildman?  I will be their with another tag along that may or may not shoot.  We will see.  I plan on camping friday night as well.  See you all their!

wildman

I am not sure on the count but sounds like greater than a dozen.

I am inspired the 1st Hit Exercise ought to work out well and is going to produce some interesting numbers. If we have time I would like to shoot it twice. Once with iron sights and once with scoped rifles. I'd like to see the results. Don't worry shoot the other exercises as well.

JohnnyReb

I'm coming too.

Probably be shooting the M4gery. (My shoulders been bugging me)  :'(
One Bank to rule them all, one Bank to find them, one Bank to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Talon

Quote from: boltgun71 on February 16, 2009, 07:41:09 PM
ARFCOM is www.ar15.com

Sounds like we will have a pretty good crew on the 21st.  Whats the pre-reg numbers looking like Wildman?  I will be their with another tag along that may or may not shoot.  We will see.  I plan on camping friday night as well.  See you all their!

I'll be watching you, boltgun. And waiting....

Old Dog

Well, looks like I'm the first to get on here after yesterday.

I didn't make a good count but I think there were around 14 or 15 shooters.  I saw AR's, M1 Garands, M1A's, FALs, and some scoped bolt actions.

We started out checking/getting good zeros at 300 and 400 yds.  I shot my M1 at 300 (first time) and while it seemed to be pretty much dead on at 25 meters it was hitting to the left at 300.  Eight clicks windage adjustment (1/4 minute clicks) got me a 10, five 9's and two 8's as it was hitting just a little low.  I put it in the rack and got my (fairly new) S&W AR in 5.45X39 with the SUIT sight and tried it.  Group size was a pleasant surprise, all but one shot in a palm sized group (one dropped low) with that combloc surplus ammo that costs 12.5 cents a round.  The SUIT's objective lens is offset to the left side of the rifle and was sighted in at 25 meters (first time it had ever been fired past that range) and the group was 8" left of center and right on elevation wise.  I left the adjustments alone and did not shoot a additional group.

Lunch followed the morning sighter session.

First in the afternoon was the 1st shot exercise.  Two pop ups at 200, 300, 400 and 1 target at 500 yds.  The 200, 300 and 400 yd. pairs were one torso and one head shot opportunity.  Maximum of 2 shots allowed on each target.  Idea is to hit it with the first shot.  I shot my M1 on this one.  Havent' seen the scoring yet.  Probably keeping wildman up late at night this week going over them and doing the math.

Second exercise was the "rattle battle".  Three person teams.  Prone at the firing line until all the pop ups go down, then get up and move down the hill (in line with a "spotter" walking behind the teams to insure folks stayed in line).  Just about the time the team gets to the 25 meter berm the pop ups came up again for a second "knockdown party".  After they were all down the team gets up and again moves forward on line and part of the way to the 100 yd. berm the pop ups come up again.  The team members take the firing position they feel is best suited and again knock 'em down.  When they're down you get up and move forward to the 100 yd. berm where the pop ups come up the last time and you scramble to the top of the berm, go prone and once gain put a hurtin' on the plastic.  I don't know which team had the fastest time.  I shot the AR on this one so I didn't have to worry about losing brass or clips.

The third exercise was conducted at the 100 yd. berm.  Climb to the top, wait for the 200 yd. pop ups to come up and knock them down as quickly as possible (4 shooters, 4 targets).  This was done more for fun than for score as not times were taken or shots counted.  I used the AR for this one, too.  There are some advantages to berdan primed steel cases.

At this point they were about to start another "rattle battle" exercise and we decided to pack up and head back to Richmond.  My partner was about out of ammo and I wasn't looking forward to climbing the 100 yd. berm again.  The knee was only slightly protesting all the walking but the climbing up and down the berm with the holes, grass root clumps, etc. was really threatening to cause problems.

Now I'd like to thank wildman and everyone else who showed up.  It was fun.  Man, am ever stiff and sore this morning.

Looking forward to doing it again.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Koma

Wildman, Steve, thanks for the effort to put this shoot on. No better way to spend a day.

Talon

I had a great time. Thanks to Steve and wildman for putting this event together. Old Dog covered the day's events well.

I've been to the Ramseur pop up range several times in the past, but never have I seen target detection as difficult as I did Saturday morning. The pop up placement and shadows made it a chore to get a good sight picture; at 460 yards, if you were using iron sights, you were quite literally sighting in on a small reflection. Further, since the target was three dimensional, the angle of the sun could easily throw off your aim if you weren't paying attention to light angle. Toss in a slight cross wind, and it was a very challenging afternoon.

If you left ready for the next one, as I did, then it was a successful day.

ar15

EXCELLENT SHOOT. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!