News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifleman's Quarter Mile

Started by Quinncannon, August 02, 2019, 10:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinncannon

I had an abbreviated range day at the Vets Shooting Center today, but spent most of the time on the 500 yard KD AQT steel target, that we set up a few years ago. Rifle of choice, one of my LRB M14's, with Vortex Viper PST 1x4 scope. Ammunition, Radway Green 147 grain. I did shoot the 300 and 400 first to check zero, then went to 500. Ringing steel with a wood a steel battle rifle is something I enjoy to no end, round after round smacking steel with a satisfying clang, huzzah! 500 yards, Rifleman's Quarter Mile, indeed!

Next week, back to the E targets and 600 yards!

As usual, we invite all of those who would like to join up with some seasoned riflemen for some KD and even some reduced course shooting, to give us a shout, we'll likely saddle up and meet you at the range.

Quinncannon, out.
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Mrs. Smith

Cheers, Brother!  :beer:

I broke the 800 barrier for the first time today at the Ft. Bliss Rod and Gun Club,  with my little Savage 10 in .243. Fun!  Thanks to my ACPjunkie buddy for helping me work it out  ;D  I'm gearing up to shoot the White Buffalo at the Whittington Center in a few weeks  :cool2:
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Quinncannon

Mrs. Smith, congratulations for breaking the 800 yard barrier! I haven't shot past 600, since I was shooting Long Range(1000 yards) in the Match Rifle division, in NRA High Power at Camp Robinson, Arkansas. The aiming black is 42 inches, but still pretty darn small, especially with iron sights and slinged up!
"This we"ll defend"

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Quinncannon on August 03, 2019, 08:19:19 AM
Mrs. Smith, congratulations for breaking the 800 yard barrier! I haven't shot past 600, since I was shooting Long Range(1000 yards) in the Match Rifle division, in NRA High Power at Camp Robinson, Arkansas. The aiming black is 42 inches, but still pretty darn small, especially with iron sights and slinged up!

Dude. .......   there is NO WAY I could do that with irons on a target that size.   :bow:
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Quinncannon

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on August 03, 2019, 08:25:46 AM
Quote from: Quinncannon on August 03, 2019, 08:19:19 AM

Dude. .......   there is NO WAY I could do that with irons on a target that size.   :bow:
I bet you could, you Appleseeders out west, are known for shooting on out there! I was shooting a match conditioned 1903A3 with Lyman aperture receiver sights and globe front sight. Ammunition was 175 grain 30-06. Eighty-Eight rounds of that, made me glad to wear a padded shooting jacket!
"This we"ll defend"

Two Wolves

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on August 02, 2019, 10:55:53 PM

I broke the 800 barrier for the first time today at the Ft. Bliss Rod and Gun Club,  with my little Savage 10 in .243. Fun!  Thanks to my ACPjunkie buddy for helping me work it out  ;D  I'm gearing up to shoot the White Buffalo at the Whittington Center in a few weeks  :cool2:

Well darn, now you've gone and done it. I don't get jealous very easily but the 'White Buffalo at the Whittington Center has been on my bucket list for some time. The pictures of that place are stunning. So go have a great time and good luck.  :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Two Wolves on August 03, 2019, 10:53:29 PM
Quote from: Mrs. Smith on August 02, 2019, 10:55:53 PM

Well darn, now you've gone and done it. I don't get jealous very easily but the 'White Buffalo at the Whittington Center has been on my bucket list for some time. The pictures of that place are stunning. So go have a great time and good luck.  :cool2:

Thanks,  brother!  Now I just have to not embarrass myself and hit the dang thing  :cool2:

HammBone

The farthest I've connected was just over 800 yards. I was attending a "precision rifle" class in May of 2012, but it actually turned out to be a class geared to police sniper teams. Very little instruction was given on the basics of how to shoot accurately. Most of the time was on how not to hit a hostage and that most police sniper shots were taken within 100 yards. But, the class was advertised as teaching you how to hit out to 1000 yards and the target in the picture I attached was reported to be at that range. I was shooting a Remington 700 in 308 and I knew the come-ups for the 175 grain bullets I was firing. I brought the scope's elevation up to match my dope card and laid down to give it a go. The targets were 36" x 24" and painted white. I was WAY over the target; several feet. I asked the instructor if he was sure that was 1000 yards and he said he was. I went to my range bag and grabbed a laser rangefinder. It told me the target was 815 yards. I didn't argue with the instructor, but quickly brought the scope down to match my dope card. That was the ticket. I put a couple of five round magazines into the target. But that was before I knew about Project Appleseed and what's possible with a basic off-the-rack rifle.

But that brings up one of my favorite stories about George "Dad" Farr and his amazing performance at the 1921 National Matches:

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2017/7/dad-farrs-golden-afternoon-at-camp-perry/
1st Appleseed/Cleared Redcoat/Rifleman: 4/20/2013 - Miamisburg, OH
1st Known Distance Rifleman: 11/3/2018 - New Philadelphia, OH
1st Winterseed Rifleman: 1/26/2019 - Liberty Center, OH
Donned the Red Hat: 6/16/2019 - Wilmington, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper