News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene KD

Started by wstrngnnt, July 29, 2019, 03:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wstrngnnt

I just got the email that the Aug 10-11 KD was cancelled. Big bummer. I can't believe only two people were signed up for what would have been a great event at a great range.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know what the minimum number of people would have been too run the event?

Mark Davis

I don't know the cost's at CDA, but, I can't justify renting an out house for 2 shooters at three forks MT.

d2331

Prescott

The Fernan Range charges us $200/day to rent the KD range.   We can typically recover some of the cost through a $10/day range fee.   We don't need to have the line sold out in order to hold the event, but we need a decent crowd to help cover the expense of the holding the event.

In the past few years, I have cancelled more events in the month of August that any other month.   The weather is hot and families are getting in their last activities of the summer.   I think I will just go on vacation in August and return to the trail in September.

We can certainly look at scheduling the KD for the fall.   I will have the CdA crew talk to the range and see if we can find a date to reschedule the event.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

wstrngnnt

I completely understand cancelling it. Unfortunately for me later in the year gets hard because of work/hunting seasons. I'll just make sure to hit one next year.
Thanks to everyone that volunteers there time in running Appleseed.

d2331

Here's a copy/paste of the text from the link.  I should have know it wouldn't work for you.

It is with a very heavy heart that we have decided to cancel the KD event in Coeur d'Alene, ID scheduled for August 10/11.   

This is purely a financial decision, as the Fernan Rod and Gun Club charges us $200/day to rent the range.    We can usually collect a $10/day range fee to compensate for the range rental expense, but with only 2 pre-regs, this is too big of a financial hit to the program.   In addition, I will need to travel 6 hours to run the event, and my expenses will only compound the financial loss of the event.

We used to be able to draw KD shooters from Western OR and WA to these event.   However, AS is now running 3 KD events in the Portland area, and just had their 1st KD in the Seattle area this summer.   It is going to be more difficult to draw participants from this market to CdA events due to the distance to travel.

We discussed during the IBC last weekend that our marketing efforts on the Spokane/CdA area need to improve as we used to have decent attendance at events in this area.